- Spotted: A Colombian Person Named Steve Brown
First, Colombia was inhabited by indigenous peoples like the Muisca, Quimbaya, and Tairona. Then, in the 16th century, it was conquered by the Spanish. Then, in 1986, Steve Brown was born
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Overflow Media
to ESPN’s Jim Caple and just to his left, SI.com’s Jon Heyman is taking it all in. To my right, MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez is just now Tweeting away. A few rows even higher than I, Steve Phillips is perched
- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
players Vida Blue, Dave Concepcion, Steve Garvey, Ron Guidry, Tommy John, Al Oliver, Ted Simmons and Rusty Staub; former manager Billy Martin; and executives Pat Gillick, Miller and the man that could
- David Brown FanGraphs Chat - 1/9/15
11:57Comment From mtswWho are you? Kiley too big to do these now that he's the type of guy who gets named dropped in MLBtraderumors headlines? 11:58Dave Brown: My name is Dave Brown. You might know
- Suggested Products for Steve Carlton's Business
Branded Steve Carlton Spinning Conspiracy Wheel ($29.95)
-- Whom should we blame this latest catastrophe upon?
Phillies Brown UVC Piping ($5.95 per yard)
-- Protect your guns in dung
- Domonic Brown and Exploring the Reality of Breakouts
It was my initial intent to write something about Tuesday's trade rumor that involved Domonic Brown and Jose Bautista. The rumor, presented straight-up, was absolutely fascinating for the implied
- Domonic Brown Has Made Some Changes
of contact, and having some plus BABIPs in his time. Joyner helped Brown make some changes:
Joyner, now 50, and hitting coach Steve Henderson have lowered Brown's hands. Most of the time, his once-hyper
- Steve Clevenger and the Precedent for Insensitive Comments
Seattle Mariners' backup catcher Steve Clevenger is not particularly sympathetic to the Black Lives Matter movement. Rather than keep his feelings on the matter to himself, however, he decided
- The 100 Million Dollar Contract Over Time
already knows this, but there are only 26 players in all of baseball history that have ever been given total contracts worth more than $100M. The first player to break the $100M barrier was Kevin Brown
- Pitchers and Injuries: It Happens
$100M? C.C. Sabathia, Johan Santana, Barry Zito, Mike Hampton, Cliff Lee, and Kevin Brown. Both Brown and Hampton had injury issues during the length of their contract, while Santana's had recent issues
- Randomness, Stabilization, & Regression
the Spearman-Brown formula. So I converted all the points in the split sample using that, and here's what I got:
What do you know -- 0.5 is crossed right around 300 PA.
- MLB Free Agency Dollars to Date
- Not finalized
Bobby Jenks - Not finalized
Tsuyoshi Nishioka - Not confirmed
Miguel Olivo - Working
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter @BizballMaury
- Show Me the $! End-of-Year Payrolls
compensation, buyouts of unexercised options and cash transactions. In some cases, parts of salaries that are deferred are discounted to reflect present-day values.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
- Inside Salary Arbitration
flipped). That has now been corrected. -- Maury Brown
Before Curt Flood’s landmark case, and before Messersmith and McNally held out in a contract year, thus allowing for the reserve clause
- How MLB Became the Example of Peacemakers
on NFL Parade? (Variety)
FOLLOW MAURY BROWN ON TWITTER @BizballMaury
- Sizing Up Mark Cuban; Potential Owner Of The Rangers
We're happy to announce that Maury Brown, owner of the Business of Sports Network, will be writing for us here every Tuesday. Please welcome Maury to the crew.
Well, this is a fine mess you
- Q&A: Scooter Gennett on Ceramics, Lefties and Riding Scooters
meetings. In addition to the charity work, he also discussed how he's preparing for the upcoming season, and further explained how Ryan Joseph Gennett became — sometimes — "Scooter."
- What's In Store for the Texas Rangers Auction
- Rob Manfred on Minor League Drug Testing Program
- Why Relocation and Expansion are a Pain for MLB
- Will Leaked MLB Financials Alter Revenue-Sharing?
- I Really Had a Blackout
- The Death of Baseball in Portland
- Playing the God of Baseball
- Could MLB's Postseason TV Ratings Be Down?
- Breaking Down 2010 MLB Regular Season Attendance
- Rays Lose ALDS, San Antonio Dreams the Pipedream
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Prelude - Different Is Good
- A Primer on the Baseball Winter Meetings
- Making Postseason $ When Missing The Playoffs
- Salary Arbitration Mumbo Jumbo
- The Upcoming CBA: An International Draft
- Josh Willingham: Honoring the Hammer
- Michael Ynoa Gets New Life With White Sox
- Dick Enberg Honored With the Ford C. Frick Award
- Using Batted-Ball Data to Measure Hitter Performance
- Domonic Brown and Getting There
Sunday afternoon, Domonic Brown did something he's been doing a lot of lately. Brown faced Mike Fiers in the bottom of the first, with two on and two out. After a first-pitch curveball found the zone
- Maddux, Clemens, Pedro... Brown?
and Schilling on this list. No, instead, I am focusing on the starting pitcher that concludes this list: Kevin Brown.
Whenever most people see this list of nine starting pitchers, Brown tends
- Domonic Brown Goes Mashing
The rumor on the street is that Domonic Brown had a breakout season in 2013. But can we trust that to be a sign of things to come?
Brown was once (briefly) the top prospect in all of baseball
- Phillies summon Domonic Brown
prospect in baseball: outfielder Domonic Brown. Most of us expected Brown to get the call once the team traded Jayson Werth, but Victorino's injury makes such a deal unlikely. Werth will instead shift
- The Dramatic Decline of Domonic Brown
Coming into the 2011 season, Domonic Brown ranked as the fourth-best prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America. The Philadelphia Phillies had just watched right fielder Jayson Werth
- Dom Brown Up or Down?
On a team accused of aging quickly -- though the space-time continuum has something to say about that -- Domonic Brown is the youngest, most exciting offensive piece. But now he's spent two seasons
- Steve Cishek on Steve Cishek: The Making of a Marlin
Steve Cishek learned to throw a slider in 2009. Three years later, the side-winding Miami Marlins righty learned how to throw it more effectively against left-handed hitters. He has since emerged
- A Gift Not To Buy For Steve Bartman
Cubs Jenga would be a very bad gift idea for Steve Bartman, if you were like a Secret Santa or family member or something where you needed a gift idea. Because, you know, the idea of him
- Should Kevin Brown Be in the Hall of Fame?
Is there a more overlooked candidate on the current Hall-of-Fame ballot than Kevin Brown?
Poke around, and you'll find the usual shopworn debates and entrenched positions, but Brown, it would seem
- Chris Brown: Blue Jays Fan
"Teach me how to Dougie Chris Brown." Watch the video. Tell me what you see.
I, of course, obliged.
In the video that's been
- Assessing Steve Pearce's Breakout
rushed out to apply quick fixes to their club - the unlikely emergence of Steve Pearce.
Peace came out of nowhere to give the Orioles 4 WAR in just 100 games last year. As Mike Petriello noted
- Steve Cishek: Why Not?
Steve Cishek was a top-ten reliever this year. Steve Cishek! He's supposed to be selling seashells by the sea shore, and here he is providing valuable stats for a low cost. Provided what we know
- Cardinals Acquire Steve Cishek
for it. Via Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:
#marlins to receive double A RHP Kyle Barraclough from cardinals for Steve Cishek— clarkspencer (@clarkspencer) July 24, 2015
- Trying to Explain Steve Pearce
, it's not so complicated. Sometimes there's a Steve Pearce.
* * *
You have to figure that on a team that's outplaying even the most optimistic projections, someone has come out of nowhere to provide
- Great Moments in Spectacles: Steve Trout
Steve Trout is aware that society would prefer that he not wear those seductive Foster Grants, particularly in mixed company, but he doesn't much give a damn about that. When a gentleman like Steve
- FanGraphs Audio: Meet Steve Slowinski
Today's guest Steve Slowinski contributes to both FanGraphs and DRaysBay -- and, perhaps more importantly, is the driving force behind the very helpful FanGraphs (née Sabermetric
- Domonic Brown Good News/Bad News
. It was promising, and, sure enough, Saunders had a breakthrough season. Spring training isn't entirely devoid of substance.
Which brings us to the matter of Domonic Brown, on Tuesday, February 26
- What Can Domonic Brown Do For You?
It appears, once again, that Domonic Brown's name is out there cooking up in the hot stove. Dave and Jeff each touched on Brown when his name last came up in rumors last month when a Brown for Jose