Major League Players
Minor League Players
Blog Search Results
Sort by Date
- A Gift Not To Buy For Steve Bartman
Cubs Jenga would be a very bad gift idea for Steve Bartman, if you were like a Secret Santa or family member or something where you needed a gift idea. Because, you know, the idea of him
- Steve Cishek: Why Not?
Steve Cishek was a top-ten reliever this year. Steve Cishek! He's supposed to be selling seashells by the sea shore, and here he is providing valuable stats for a low cost. Provided what we know
- Trying to Explain Steve Pearce
, it's not so complicated. Sometimes there's a Steve Pearce.
* * *
You have to figure that on a team that's outplaying even the most optimistic projections, someone has come out of nowhere to provide
- Great Moments in Spectacles: Steve Trout
Steve Trout is aware that society would prefer that he not wear those seductive Foster Grants, particularly in mixed company, but he doesn't much give a damn about that. When a gentleman like Steve
- Suggested Products for Steve Carlton's Business
Deadspin recently reprinted a fascinating look into the depths of Steve Carlton's mind. Turns out, a cabal of 300 people is running the world. Or the Jews. Or the Chinese. Or the bankers.
- FanGraphs Audio: Meet Steve Slowinski
Today's guest Steve Slowinski contributes to both FanGraphs and DRaysBay -- and, perhaps more importantly, is the driving force behind the very helpful FanGraphs (née Sabermetric
- Eyeing Cheap Relief: Steve Delabar
reclaims the job, with the idea that he can revert back to the guy who posted a 35.4% K rate with the White Sox in 2011.
But it's not Santos that really interests me, it's Steve Delabar. Given
- Spotted: A Colombian Person Named Steve Brown
First, Colombia was inhabited by indigenous peoples like the Muisca, Quimbaya, and Tairona. Then, in the 16th century, it was conquered by the Spanish. Then, in 1986, Steve Brown was born
- Steve Stone is Naked, Open to the Possibilities
- Why are you so sad, Steve Bedrosian?
Why are you so sad, Steve Bedrosian?
Is it because you saw the end of Kris Kristofferson’s remake of A Star Is Born?
Is it because Barry Gibb finally retired the name Bee Gees and disco died
- FanGraphs Audio: Steve Wynn of The Baseball Project
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with Steve Wynn of real-live rock-and-roll band The Baseball Project.
Don't hesitate to direct pod-related correspondence
- Player Whose Name Was a Sentence: Steve Sharts
Because he never made the majors and because he was out of affiliated baseball by 1990, Steve Sharts does not have a player page at FanGraphs. What he does have, though -- by virtue of his
- NotGraphs Film Series: Steve Balboni Profile, 1980
to mollifying the effects of said condition, the author has found and then embedded the above video -- a profile of then-minor-leaguer Steve Balboni from 1980, hosted by a poorly disguised Ernest
- Baseball Will Make You Cry: Steve Delabar Edition
. This is why I try to watch baseball through the rosiest of glasses.
I also watch baseball for people like Steve Delabar. Until very recently, I didn't know much about him. I know that he had blown out his
- Marlins Trade Draft Pick for Whatever's in Steve's Couch
is currently trapped within the couch of this guy named Steve.
A source with knowledge of the situation tells NotGraphs that, after receiving a mandate from fork-tongued owner Jeffrey Loria
- Ryan Sweeney & Steve Cishek: Waiver Wire
Gonzalez, and David Ortiz. You're not going to get homers out of him, but Sweeney will give you a strong batting average and be a runs scored machine.
Steve Cishek | RP | Marlins | Owned: 31% Yahoo
- Josh Bell and Steve Lombardozzi: Waiver Wire
Steve Lombardozzi, WAS |2B, 3B, OF| Ownership: ESPN - 0.5% Yahoo - 1.0%
The Nationals have always been high on Lombardozzi and had been shopping shortstop Ian Desmond around
- Relative Waiver Wire: Steve Pearce, Jacob Turner
it a bad choice. You’re just open to ideas and possibilities, and you’ll take a win however you can get it.
1B/OF Steve Pearce, Baltimore Orioles
Ownership: CBS 44% | Yahoo! 17% | ESPN 38.8%
- Dear Cubs Enthusiasts: "Don't Blame Steve"
- I Can't Believe I Missed Steve Balboni's Birthday
This was a home run
Luckily, Baseball-Reference's blog was all over it.
As the B-R blog covers exquisitely well, Steve Balboni was not a very good baseball player. However, he
- Mustache Watch and Strat-o-Matic Godliness: Steve Balboni
pixy of a man. Pastel is the new black. And John Hughes rules the world with an iron fist.
Into this landscape saunters Steve Balboni, who blesses you with his divine image below:
Click, if thou
- Jim Hendry Leaves Mixed Legacy in Chicago
a Steve Phillips. Cubs fans should certainly be glad that their team has decided to move on – it was past time for a new direction and focus -- but I think Hendry deserves more credit and praise than he
- My Simple(ish) Playoff Chances Simulator
at the bottom). Here it is, Steve Staud's Standings Stratifier (or something):
The "WC to Playoffs" column indicates the expected chance each team will actually win the one-game playoff, should they win
- FANS Playoff Probabilities - AL Version
- FANS Playoff Probabilities - NL Version
- Dead Money
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Milwaukee
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Texas
- Scrap Heap Heroes
- The Dave Duncan Effect
- Some Early Observations on Reliever Usage
- Trevor Hoffman's Struggles
- Closer Usage in the AL East
- What Is The FanGraphs Library?
- Carlos Beltran Moves Right, Angel Pagan Slides Center
- The 100 Million Dollar Contract Over Time
- Team Preview: Baltimore Orioles
- Team Preview: Tampa Bay Rays
- To Demote or Promote?
- The 'Aughts' at a Glance: 2000-2009 Superlatives
- When Character and Makeup Matter
- 2011 Organization Rankings: #22 Milwaukee
- 2011 Organizational Rankings: #7 Texas
- Shutdowns, Meltdowns, and Saves
- Library Updates and A Look at the Minus Stats
- Regression and Albert Pujols’ Slump
- For Once, Fortune Smiles on Cleveland
- A Visual Look at wOBA
- Starlin Castro Shining Bright
- How to Speak Sabermetrics to a Mainstream Audience
- Diagnosing Rafael Soriano's Woes
- Batter/Pitcher Splits Crib Sheet
- 'Stabilizing' Statistics: Interpreting Early Season Results
- Nearly Perfect: Jaime Garcia's 2011 Season
- Bonus FanGraphs Chat - 5/11/11
- "Everything in My Life Sucks Right Now."
- Saber-Friendly Tip #1: The Linguistics of BABIP
- Saber-Friendly Tip #2: Talkin' About Power
- The Slow Decline of Alex Rodriguez
- On Research and Writing: The Growing Niches of the Saber-Sphere
- Adam Dunn and the DH
- This Year's All-Star Travesty: Matt Joyce's Snub
- The Bautista: A Visual Look at Homerun Paces
- What Are the Biggest Rivalries in Baseball?
- Saber-Friendly Tip #3: On Decimals
- Franchise Draft Discussion: Carl Crawford at #7
- The Quest for 81: Bad Bounces in Birdland
- Madison Bumgarner's Bum Start
- Roy Oswalt's Back Scare
- The Worst in the Majors
- Is Fenway Helping Or Hurting Adrian Gonzalez?
- Jason Bay's Missing (But Reemerging?) Power
- Appreciating Derek Jeter
- Holy Cow, Mike Trout!
- The 2011 All-Flub Team
- Mets Trade Francisco Rodriguez to Brewers
- Why The Cardinals Can't Trade Colby Rasmus
- Ryan Howard and the RBI
- The Short and Simple SIERA Primer
- Assorted Trade Rumor Thoughts
- Deadline Recap: Against The Ubaldo Jimenez Trade
- Visualizing Edwin Jackson's Trade History
- David Ortiz's Contract Complaints
- Why Strikeouts Stink
- Mariano Rivera and Age: Which Side Is Losing?
- Triple Play Trivia and Oddities
- The Shutdown (and Meltdown) Relievers of 2011
- How Should We Measure Power?
- Mike Gonzalez Traded to Rangers
- Over and Undervalued Power Hitters
- Defining Valuable
- Mark Reynolds Is Horri-Bad at Defense
- Matt Moore: Tampa Bay's Best Ever Pitching Prospect
- The "Moneyball" Kerfuffle
- The Best Reliever of All-Time, Mariano Rivera
- The Evolution of David "Tinkerbell" Price
- In Sickness and in Health
- Yankees Shouldn't Take It Easy On The Rays
- ALDS Preview: Rangers-Rays
- When Park Factors Attack
- Statistical Scouting: Ian Kennedy vs. Yovani Gallardo
- ALCS Statistical Scouting: Scherzer vs. Holland
- NLCS Statistical Scouting: Jackson vs. Marcum
- ALCS Scouting: Harrison vs. Porcello
- NLCS Scouting: Gallardo vs. Carpenter
- NLCS Scouting: Greinke vs. Garcia
- Game Preview: Chris Carpenter vs. C.J. Wilson
- WS Scouting: Colby Lewis vs. Jaime Garcia
- Game 7 Preview: Chris Carpenter vs. Matt Harrison
- Why David Price Might Get Traded Before Shields
- Jose Reyes: Three Year Deal Candidate?
- Nolan Ryan Prefers Mitch Moreland to Albert Pujols?
- Mark Trumbo's Uncertain Future
- Projecting Park Effects: The Marlins' New Stadium
- The Neglected: The Best Non-MVP AL Players
- Visualizing the CBA's Impact on Draft Spending
- David DeJesus Signs With Cubs, Epstein
- A Mike Stanton Extension: Possible or Not?
- C.J. Wilson, Mark Buehrle, and The Manic Marlins
- Matt Moore, The Most Valuable Trade Chip In Baseball?
- Rolling The Hard Six In Miami
- Bottom of the Barrel Relievers
- Nick Punto to Sign with Boston
- Derek Holland, Rangers Talking Extension
- FanGraphs Glossary: The Winter Cleaning
- Should The Nationals Sign Prince Fielder?
- How the Cubs-Padres Trade Affects Fielder
- Welcome to The Trop, Luke Scott
- "Aggressive Right to the Point of Stupidity"
- Reasons to Be Wary of Carlos Pena
- You Can't Measure Heart, or David Eckstein Bows Out
- Brandon Morrow's Left On Base Blues
- Russ Canzler, Dan Johnson, and the Quad-A Label
- The Surprisingly Robust Starting Pitching Market
- Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians Talking Extension
- Todd Coffey Signs With Dodgers
- Orioles Trade Jeremy Guthrie For...Huh?
- Yankees Pursue Ibanez, But What About Damon?
- Solving The Rays' Rotation Crunch
- Good Luck Shopping A.J. Burnett, Yanks
- Why Do The Pirates Want A.J. Burnett?
- Oakland Signs Yoenis Cespedes, Creates Outfield Surplus
- Zach Britton Still Injured, O's Revamping Pitching Philosophy
- Contract Extension Comps for Adam Jones
- Gary Carter: The World Loses a Smile
- Matt Moore Unleashed: What Should We Expect?
- Glen Perkins Signs Extension with Twins
- FanGraphs Library Update
- Jeremy Hellickson and Re-Defining BABIP
- 2012 Organizational Rankings: #10 – Tampa Bay
- FanGraphs Library Expansion
- Can't Shake Jake (Arrieta)
- Carlos Ruiz: The Best Catcher In Baseball?
- Adjusting Linear Weights for Extreme Environments
- Linear Weights + BaseRuns = Good
- Team-Specific Hitter Values by Markov
- BABIP Park Factors and the Batted Ball Connection
- An Unsolicited Follow-Up Study of Pull%
- wRC+ and Handedness: The Importance of Being Lefty
- Randomness, Stabilization, & Regression
- The Odds of Hitting for the Cycle
- Better Match-Up Data: Forecasting Strikeout Rate
- Batter-Pitcher Matchups Part 2: Expected Matchup K%
- Could Chris Davis Match Roger Maris?
- Batted Ball Types and Handedness Matchups, in General
- Reviewing the Preseason Standings Projections
- Simulating the Impact of Pitcher Inconsistency
- Why Strikeouts Secretly Matter for Batters
- More Fun with Markov: Custom Run Expectancies
- Tool: Basically Every Pitching Stat Correlation
- Tool Version 2: Pitching Correlations with Improved Filtering
- The Blade Is Back: Adventures in Bad Sequels
- The "Food Metaphors" Tag Is Resurrected
- Dayton Moore's "Process" Revealed
- FanGraphs Staff ottoneu Draft: Thoughts on Day One
- Ottoneu Resource: ZiPS Draft Tiers and Potential Bargains
- ottoneu Trade: When Should You Trade Youth?
- What is WAR?
- wRC and wRC+
- Regression to the Mean
- OPS and OPS+
- Win Probability
- GB%, LD%, FB%
- GB%, LD%, FB%
- Win Expectancy
- What is PITCHF/x?
- Sample Size
- Pitch Type Linear Weights
- Plate Discipline (O-Swing%, Z-Swing%, etc.)
- K% and BB%
- Strikeout and Walk Rates
- Linear Weights
- Projection Systems
- Counting vs. Rate Statistics
- Pythagorean Win-Loss
- Converting Runs to Wins
- Replacement Level
- Positional Adjustment
- Park Factors
- League Equivalencies
- Aging Curve
- On-base Plus Slugging (OPS)
- Welcome to the Library!
- Suggestions and Questions
- Statistic Percentile Charts
- TZ / TZL
- What Is the FanGraphs Library, and How Do I Use It?
- Heat Maps: What They Show, and Mistakes to Avoid
- Understanding Projections, "True Talent Level", and Variability
- Left On Base Percentage (LOB%): A Video Explanation
- The Projection Rundown: The Basics on Marcels, ZiPS, CAIRO, Oliver, and the Rest
- "Sabermetrics for Dummies": Mainstream Media Style
- Food Metaphors, Replacement Level Style
- Pitchers and Injuries: It Happens
- The Curious Case of Ben Zobrist
- Contract Details
- Player Options
- New Library Section: Contract Details
- Service Time
- SD / MD
- ERA- / FIP- / xFIP-
- Plate Discipline (O-Swing%, Z-Swing%, etc.)
- Pitch Type Linear Weights
- Salary Arbitration
- Super Two
- Draft Pick Compensation
- Luxury Tax
- Revenue Sharing
- Catcher Defense
- fWAR and rWAR
- WAR for Pitchers
- WAR Misconceptions
- WAR for Position Players
- Pitch Type Abbreviations & Classifications
- FanGraphs Library Stat Glossary
- The Power of Expectations
- Projecting BABIP Using Batted Ball Data
- BABIP and Innings Pitched (Plus, Explaining Popups)
- Introducing BERA: Another ERA Estimator to Confuse You All