Major League Players
Minor League Players
Blog Search Results
Sort by Relevancy
- Steve Clevenger and the Precedent for Insensitive Comments
Seattle Mariners' backup catcher Steve Clevenger is not particularly sympathetic to the Black Lives Matter movement. Rather than keep his feelings on the matter to himself, however, he decided
- Steve Pearce Is More Than Just a Platoon Player
Wade Miley so far with the Orioles, which is an upgrade from the likes of Ubaldo Jimenez, Tyler Wilson and Mike Wright.
The trade for Steve Pearce has not worked out as planned so far
- Orioles Reacquire Lefty-Masher Steve Pearce
Two years ago, Steve Pearce was a revelation for the Orioles, hitting 21 home runs and recording a 161 wRC+ in just under 400 plate appearances. Last year, Pearce failed not only to duplicate
- Cardinals Acquire Steve Cishek
for it. Via Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:
#marlins to receive double A RHP Kyle Barraclough from cardinals for Steve Cishek— clarkspencer (@clarkspencer) July 24, 2015
- The Daily Grind: Jim Abbott, Chen, Velasquez, Steve Holt!
- Steve Pearce Is Playing Second Base
Understand that no one's Plan A would be putting Steve Pearce into the lineup at second base. It would be nobody's Plan B, either. Understand that the Orioles have been forced into a position
- Taking A Step Back: Steve Pearce and Lorenzo Cain
info suggests significant 2015 decline. I couldn't pick two more dissimilar players if I tried; this week's subjects are the Orioles' 2014 everyman-savior, Steve Pearce, and the Royals' postseason
- Steve Cishek on Steve Cishek: The Making of a Marlin
Steve Cishek learned to throw a slider in 2009. Three years later, the side-winding Miami Marlins righty learned how to throw it more effectively against left-handed hitters. He has since emerged
- Steve Pearce, Jake Arrieta, And Information Gaps
, the poster child is probably Steve Pearce. I know his power outburst is based purely on pull-field home runs. In ranking him the 20th outfielder - one ahead of Jones - I'm saying his .263 ISO is mostly
- Assessing Steve Pearce's Breakout
rushed out to apply quick fixes to their club - the unlikely emergence of Steve Pearce.
Peace came out of nowhere to give the Orioles 4 WAR in just 100 games last year. As Mike Petriello noted
- Investigating Steve Cishek on Behalf of Adam Ottavino
What stuck with me since that conversation was a pitcher he was interested in: Steve Cishek. Really, Ottavino was interested in how a primarily fastball/slider pitcher could avoid platoon splits. So
- Trying to Explain Steve Pearce
, it's not so complicated. Sometimes there's a Steve Pearce.
* * *
You have to figure that on a team that's outplaying even the most optimistic projections, someone has come out of nowhere to provide
- Relative Waiver Wire: Steve Pearce, Jacob Turner
it a bad choice. You’re just open to ideas and possibilities, and you’ll take a win however you can get it.
1B/OF Steve Pearce, Baltimore Orioles
Ownership: CBS 44% | Yahoo! 17% | ESPN 38.8%
- Marlins Trade Draft Pick for Whatever's in Steve's Couch
is currently trapped within the couch of this guy named Steve.
A source with knowledge of the situation tells NotGraphs that, after receiving a mandate from fork-tongued owner Jeffrey Loria
- Why are you so sad, Steve Bedrosian?
Why are you so sad, Steve Bedrosian?
Is it because you saw the end of Kris Kristofferson’s remake of A Star Is Born?
Is it because Barry Gibb finally retired the name Bee Gees and disco died
- Tool Version 2: Pitching Correlations with Improved Filtering
- Steve Cishek: Why Not?
Steve Cishek was a top-ten reliever this year. Steve Cishek! He's supposed to be selling seashells by the sea shore, and here he is providing valuable stats for a low cost. Provided what we know
- Tool: Basically Every Pitching Stat Correlation
- More Fun with Markov: Custom Run Expectancies
- Why Strikeouts Secretly Matter for Batters
- My Simple(ish) Playoff Chances Simulator
at the bottom). Here it is, Steve Staud's Standings Stratifier (or something):
The "WC to Playoffs" column indicates the expected chance each team will actually win the one-game playoff, should they win
- Simulating the Impact of Pitcher Inconsistency
- Reviewing the Preseason Standings Projections
- Batted Ball Types and Handedness Matchups, in General
- Could Chris Davis Match Roger Maris?
- Baseball Will Make You Cry: Steve Delabar Edition
. This is why I try to watch baseball through the rosiest of glasses.
I also watch baseball for people like Steve Delabar. Until very recently, I didn't know much about him. I know that he had blown out his
- Batter-Pitcher Matchups Part 2: Expected Matchup K%
- Better Match-Up Data: Forecasting Strikeout Rate
- The Odds of Hitting for the Cycle
- Randomness, Stabilization, & Regression
- Suggested Products for Steve Carlton's Business
Deadspin recently reprinted a fascinating look into the depths of Steve Carlton's mind. Turns out, a cabal of 300 people is running the world. Or the Jews. Or the Chinese. Or the bankers.
- wRC+ and Handedness: The Importance of Being Lefty
- An Unsolicited Follow-Up Study of Pull%
- BABIP Park Factors and the Batted Ball Connection
- Team-Specific Hitter Values by Markov
- Linear Weights + BaseRuns = Good
- Adjusting Linear Weights for Extreme Environments
- Eyeing Cheap Relief: Steve Delabar
reclaims the job, with the idea that he can revert back to the guy who posted a 35.4% K rate with the White Sox in 2011.
But it's not Santos that really interests me, it's Steve Delabar. Given
- NotGraphs Film Series: Steve Balboni Profile, 1980
to mollifying the effects of said condition, the author has found and then embedded the above video -- a profile of then-minor-leaguer Steve Balboni from 1980, hosted by a poorly disguised Ernest
- Introducing BERA: Another ERA Estimator to Confuse You All
- Steve Stone is Naked, Open to the Possibilities
- Player Whose Name Was a Sentence: Steve Sharts
Because he never made the majors and because he was out of affiliated baseball by 1990, Steve Sharts does not have a player page at FanGraphs. What he does have, though -- by virtue of his
- FanGraphs Library Stat Glossary
- BABIP and Innings Pitched (Plus, Explaining Popups)
- Spotted: A Colombian Person Named Steve Brown
First, Colombia was inhabited by indigenous peoples like the Muisca, Quimbaya, and Tairona. Then, in the 16th century, it was conquered by the Spanish. Then, in 1986, Steve Brown was born
- Projecting BABIP Using Batted Ball Data
- FanGraphs Audio: Steve Wynn of The Baseball Project
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with Steve Wynn of real-live rock-and-roll band The Baseball Project.
Don't hesitate to direct pod-related correspondence
- Carlos Ruiz: The Best Catcher In Baseball?
- Can't Shake Jake (Arrieta)
- Josh Bell and Steve Lombardozzi: Waiver Wire
Steve Lombardozzi, WAS |2B, 3B, OF| Ownership: ESPN - 0.5% Yahoo - 1.0%
The Nationals have always been high on Lombardozzi and had been shopping shortstop Ian Desmond around
- Ryan Sweeney & Steve Cishek: Waiver Wire
Gonzalez, and David Ortiz. You're not going to get homers out of him, but Sweeney will give you a strong batting average and be a runs scored machine.
Steve Cishek | RP | Marlins | Owned: 31% Yahoo
- FanGraphs Library Expansion
- Pitch Type Abbreviations & Classifications
- Dear Cubs Enthusiasts: "Don't Blame Steve"
- 2012 Organizational Rankings: #10 – Tampa Bay
- WAR for Position Players
- WAR for Pitchers
- WAR Misconceptions
- ottoneu Trade: When Should You Trade Youth?
- fWAR, rWAR, and WARP
- Catcher Defense
- Revenue Sharing
- Luxury Tax
- Draft Pick Compensation
- Super Two
- Salary Arbitration
- Jeremy Hellickson and Re-Defining BABIP
- FanGraphs Library Update
- Glen Perkins Signs Extension with Twins
- Pitch Type Linear Weights
- Plate Discipline (O-Swing%, Z-Swing%, etc.)
- Ottoneu Resource: ZiPS Draft Tiers and Potential Bargains
- Matt Moore Unleashed: What Should We Expect?
- FanGraphs Staff ottoneu Draft: Thoughts on Day One
- Gary Carter: The World Loses a Smile
- Contract Extension Comps for Adam Jones
- FanGraphs Audio: Meet Steve Slowinski
Today's guest Steve Slowinski contributes to both FanGraphs and DRaysBay -- and, perhaps more importantly, is the driving force behind the very helpful FanGraphs (née Sabermetric
- Zach Britton Still Injured, O's Revamping Pitching Philosophy
- Oakland Signs Yoenis Cespedes, Creates Outfield Surplus
- Why Do The Pirates Want A.J. Burnett?
- Solving The Rays' Rotation Crunch
- Good Luck Shopping A.J. Burnett, Yanks
- Yankees Pursue Ibanez, But What About Damon?
- Orioles Trade Jeremy Guthrie For...Huh?
- Todd Coffey Signs With Dodgers
- Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians Talking Extension
- The Surprisingly Robust Starting Pitching Market
- Russ Canzler, Dan Johnson, and the Quad-A Label
- Brandon Morrow's Left On Base Blues
- You Can't Measure Heart, or David Eckstein Bows Out
- Reasons to Be Wary of Carlos Pena
- "Aggressive Right to the Point of Stupidity"
- Welcome to The Trop, Luke Scott
- How the Cubs-Padres Trade Affects Fielder
- Should The Nationals Sign Prince Fielder?
- FanGraphs Glossary: The Winter Cleaning
- Bottom of the Barrel Relievers
- A Gift Not To Buy For Steve Bartman
Cubs Jenga would be a very bad gift idea for Steve Bartman, if you were like a Secret Santa or family member or something where you needed a gift idea. Because, you know, the idea of him
- Derek Holland, Rangers Talking Extension
- Nick Punto to Sign with Boston
- Rolling The Hard Six In Miami
- Matt Moore, The Most Valuable Trade Chip In Baseball?
- C.J. Wilson, Mark Buehrle, and The Manic Marlins
- A Mike Stanton Extension: Possible or Not?
- David DeJesus Signs With Cubs, Epstein
- Visualizing the CBA's Impact on Draft Spending
- Mustache Watch and Strat-o-Matic Godliness: Steve Balboni
pixy of a man. Pastel is the new black. And John Hughes rules the world with an iron fist.
Into this landscape saunters Steve Balboni, who blesses you with his divine image below:
Click, if thou
- The Neglected: The Best Non-MVP AL Players
- Projecting Park Effects: The Marlins' New Stadium
- Mark Trumbo's Uncertain Future
- Nolan Ryan Prefers Mitch Moreland to Albert Pujols?
- Jose Reyes: Three Year Deal Candidate?
- Why David Price Might Get Traded Before Shields
- Game 7 Preview: Chris Carpenter vs. Matt Harrison
- WS Scouting: Colby Lewis vs. Jaime Garcia
- Game Preview: Chris Carpenter vs. C.J. Wilson
- NLCS Scouting: Greinke vs. Garcia
- NLCS Scouting: Gallardo vs. Carpenter
- ALCS Scouting: Harrison vs. Porcello
- NLCS Statistical Scouting: Jackson vs. Marcum
- ALCS Statistical Scouting: Scherzer vs. Holland
- Statistical Scouting: Ian Kennedy vs. Yovani Gallardo
- When Park Factors Attack
- ALDS Preview: Rangers-Rays
- Yankees Shouldn't Take It Easy On The Rays
- In Sickness and in Health
- The Evolution of David "Tinkerbell" Price
- The Best Reliever of All-Time, Mariano Rivera
- Hot GIF Action: Sparky Sparks
- The "Moneyball" Kerfuffle
- Great Moments in Spectacles: Steve Trout
Steve Trout is aware that society would prefer that he not wear those seductive Foster Grants, particularly in mixed company, but he doesn't much give a damn about that. When a gentleman like Steve
- Matt Moore: Tampa Bay's Best Ever Pitching Prospect
- Mark Reynolds Is Horri-Bad at Defense
- Defining Valuable
- Over and Undervalued Power Hitters
- Mike Gonzalez Traded to Rangers
- How Should We Measure Power?
- The Shutdown (and Meltdown) Relievers of 2011
- Jim Hendry Leaves Mixed Legacy in Chicago
a Steve Phillips. Cubs fans should certainly be glad that their team has decided to move on – it was past time for a new direction and focus -- but I think Hendry deserves more credit and praise than he
- Triple Play Trivia and Oddities
- Mariano Rivera and Age: Which Side Is Losing?
- Why Strikeouts Stink
- David Ortiz's Contract Complaints
- Visualizing Edwin Jackson's Trade History
- Deadline Recap: Against The Ubaldo Jimenez Trade
- Assorted Trade Rumor Thoughts
- The Short and Simple SIERA Primer
- Ryan Howard and the RBI
- Why The Cardinals Can't Trade Colby Rasmus
- Mets Trade Francisco Rodriguez to Brewers
- The 2011 All-Flub Team
- Appreciating Derek Jeter
- Holy Cow, Mike Trout!
- Jason Bay's Missing (But Reemerging?) Power
- Is Fenway Helping Or Hurting Adrian Gonzalez?
- The Worst in the Majors
- Roy Oswalt's Back Scare
- Madison Bumgarner's Bum Start
- The Quest for 81: Bad Bounces in Birdland
- Saber-Friendly Tip #3: On Decimals
- Franchise Draft Discussion: Carl Crawford at #7
- What Are the Biggest Rivalries in Baseball?
- The Bautista: A Visual Look at Homerun Paces
- Adam Dunn and the DH
- This Year's All-Star Travesty: Matt Joyce's Snub
- On Research and Writing: The Growing Niches of the Saber-Sphere
- The Slow Decline of Alex Rodriguez
- Saber-Friendly Tip #2: Talkin' About Power
- Saber-Friendly Tip #1: The Linguistics of BABIP
- "Everything in My Life Sucks Right Now."
- Bonus FanGraphs Chat - 5/11/11
- Nearly Perfect: Jaime Garcia's 2011 Season
- 'Stabilizing' Statistics: Interpreting Early Season Results
- Batter/Pitcher Splits Crib Sheet
- Diagnosing Rafael Soriano's Woes
- How to Speak Sabermetrics to a Mainstream Audience
- Starlin Castro Shining Bright
- A Visual Look at wOBA
- For Once, Fortune Smiles on Cleveland
- Regression and Albert Pujols’ Slump
- Library Updates and A Look at the Minus Stats
- ERA- / FIP- / xFIP-
- Shutdowns, Meltdowns, and Saves
- SD / MD
- Service Time
- New Library Section: Contract Details
- Player Options
- Contract Details
- 2011 Organizational Rankings: #7 Texas
- 2011 Organization Rankings: #22 Milwaukee
- When Character and Makeup Matter
- The 'Aughts' at a Glance: 2000-2009 Superlatives
- To Demote or Promote?
- The Curious Case of Ben Zobrist
- Team Preview: Tampa Bay Rays
- Team Preview: Baltimore Orioles
- The 100 Million Dollar Contract Over Time
- Dayton Moore's "Process" Revealed
- Carlos Beltran Moves Right, Angel Pagan Slides Center
- Pitchers and Injuries: It Happens
- Understanding Projections, "True Talent Level", and Variability
- The "Food Metaphors" Tag Is Resurrected
- Food Metaphors, Replacement Level Style
- The Blade Is Back: Adventures in Bad Sequels
- The Projection Rundown: The Basics on Marcels, ZiPS, CAIRO, Oliver, and the Rest
- "Sabermetrics for Dummies": Mainstream Media Style
- Left On Base Percentage (LOB%): A Video Explanation
- Heat Maps: What They Show, and Mistakes to Avoid
- What Is The FanGraphs Library?
- What Is the FanGraphs Library, and How Do I Use It?
- TZ / TZL
- I Can't Believe I Missed Steve Balboni's Birthday
This was a home run
Luckily, Baseball-Reference's blog was all over it.
As the B-R blog covers exquisitely well, Steve Balboni was not a very good baseball player. However, he
- Statistic Percentile Charts
- Suggestions and Questions
- Welcome to the Library!
- On-base Plus Slugging (OPS)
- The Power of Expectations
- Closer Usage in the AL East
- Trevor Hoffman's Struggles
- Some Early Observations on Reliever Usage
- The Dave Duncan Effect
- Scrap Heap Heroes
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Texas
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Milwaukee
- Dead Money
- FANS Playoff Probabilities - NL Version
- FANS Playoff Probabilities - AL Version
- Aging Curve
- League Equivalencies
- Park Factors
- Positional Adjustment
- Replacement Level
- Converting Runs to Wins
- Pythagorean Win-Loss
- Counting vs. Rate Statistics
- Projection Systems
- Linear Weights
- Strikeout and Walk Rates
- K% and BB%
- Plate Discipline (O-Swing%, Z-Swing%, etc.)
- Pitch Type Linear Weights
- Sample Size
- What is PITCHF/x?
- Win Expectancy
- GB%, LD%, FB%
- GB%, LD%, FB%
- Win Probability
- OPS and OPS+
- Regression to the Mean
- wRC and wRC+
- What is WAR?