- Inside Salary Arbitration
flipped). That has now been corrected. -- Maury Brown
Before Curt Flood’s landmark case, and before Messersmith and McNally held out in a contract year, thus allowing for the reserve clause
- Dick Enberg Honored With the Ford C. Frick Award
the baseball portion of “The Naked Gun”:
“Hello! l'm Curt Gowdy, along with Jim Palmer, Tim McCarver, Dick Vitale, Mel Allen, Dick Enberg and Dr. Joyce Brothers.”
After all, being part of a seven
- Rob Manfred on Minor League Drug Testing Program
program was explained.
2. The Commissioner’s Office, the Players Association, and Tim Maxey (the Joint Strength and Conditioning Coordinator) presented on the drug program and nutritional supplements
- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
(Toronto Sun), Tim Kurkjian (ESPN), Ross Newhan (retired, Los Angeles Times) and Tom Verducci (Sports Illustrated).
So, the debate will be, should Steinbrenner go in on the first vote, or should
- Playing the God of Baseball
never addressed Tim McCarver or Joe Morgan). But of all the things I’d change, I end with the most important of the lot: I’m killing off MLB’s television blackout policy with the exception
- David Brown FanGraphs Chat - 1/9/15
11:57Comment From mtswWho are you? Kiley too big to do these now that he's the type of guy who gets named dropped in MLBtraderumors headlines? 11:58Dave Brown: My name is Dave Brown. You might know
- The Giants' Offense Doesn't Care About the Platoon Advantage
- Domonic Brown and Exploring the Reality of Breakouts
It was my initial intent to write something about Tuesday's trade rumor that involved Domonic Brown and Jose Bautista. The rumor, presented straight-up, was absolutely fascinating for the implied
- If And When The Giants Should Trade Tim Lincecum
The following sentence was buried at the bottom of Nick Cafardo's Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe:
Tim Lincecum, RHP, Giants — He will be available in trade, and it will be interesting
- MLB Free Agency Dollars to Date
- Not finalized
Bobby Jenks - Not finalized
Tsuyoshi Nishioka - Not confirmed
Miguel Olivo - Working
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter @BizballMaury
- Show Me the $! End-of-Year Payrolls
compensation, buyouts of unexercised options and cash transactions. In some cases, parts of salaries that are deferred are discounted to reflect present-day values.
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter
- How MLB Became the Example of Peacemakers
on NFL Parade? (Variety)
FOLLOW MAURY BROWN ON TWITTER @BizballMaury
- Sizing Up Mark Cuban; Potential Owner Of The Rangers
We're happy to announce that Maury Brown, owner of the Business of Sports Network, will be writing for us here every Tuesday. Please welcome Maury to the crew.
Well, this is a fine mess you
- Q&A: Scooter Gennett on Ceramics, Lefties and Riding Scooters
meetings. In addition to the charity work, he also discussed how he's preparing for the upcoming season, and further explained how Ryan Joseph Gennett became — sometimes — "Scooter."
- What's In Store for the Texas Rangers Auction
- Why Relocation and Expansion are a Pain for MLB
- Will Leaked MLB Financials Alter Revenue-Sharing?
- I Really Had a Blackout
- The Death of Baseball in Portland
- Could MLB's Postseason TV Ratings Be Down?
- Breaking Down 2010 MLB Regular Season Attendance
- Rays Lose ALDS, San Antonio Dreams the Pipedream
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Prelude - Different Is Good
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Overflow Media
- A Primer on the Baseball Winter Meetings
- Making Postseason $ When Missing The Playoffs
- Salary Arbitration Mumbo Jumbo
- The Upcoming CBA: An International Draft
- Josh Willingham: Honoring the Hammer
- Michael Ynoa Gets New Life With White Sox
- Domonic Brown and Getting There
Sunday afternoon, Domonic Brown did something he's been doing a lot of lately. Brown faced Mike Fiers in the bottom of the first, with two on and two out. After a first-pitch curveball found the zone
- Maddux, Clemens, Pedro... Brown?
and Schilling on this list. No, instead, I am focusing on the starting pitcher that concludes this list: Kevin Brown.
Whenever most people see this list of nine starting pitchers, Brown tends
- Domonic Brown Goes Mashing
The rumor on the street is that Domonic Brown had a breakout season in 2013. But can we trust that to be a sign of things to come?
Brown was once (briefly) the top prospect in all of baseball
- Phillies summon Domonic Brown
prospect in baseball: outfielder Domonic Brown. Most of us expected Brown to get the call once the team traded Jayson Werth, but Victorino's injury makes such a deal unlikely. Werth will instead shift
- The Dramatic Decline of Domonic Brown
Coming into the 2011 season, Domonic Brown ranked as the fourth-best prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America. The Philadelphia Phillies had just watched right fielder Jayson Werth
- Dom Brown Up or Down?
On a team accused of aging quickly -- though the space-time continuum has something to say about that -- Domonic Brown is the youngest, most exciting offensive piece. But now he's spent two seasons
- Tim Raines
Rickey Henderson and Jim Rice were the only two breathing players inducted into Cooperstown this weekend. It didn’t have to be this way though, and frankly it shouldn’t have been since Tim Raines
- Should Kevin Brown Be in the Hall of Fame?
Is there a more overlooked candidate on the current Hall-of-Fame ballot than Kevin Brown?
Poke around, and you'll find the usual shopworn debates and entrenched positions, but Brown, it would seem
- Chris Brown: Blue Jays Fan
"Teach me how to Dougie Chris Brown." Watch the video. Tell me what you see.
I, of course, obliged.
In the video that's been
- Spotted: A Colombian Person Named Steve Brown
First, Colombia was inhabited by indigenous peoples like the Muisca, Quimbaya, and Tairona. Then, in the 16th century, it was conquered by the Spanish. Then, in 1986, Steve Brown was born
- Poll: Tim Lincecum Arbitration
Tangotiger's running the same poll over at insidethebook.com:
Tim Lincecum will submit the following offer:(poll)
- FanGraphs Audio: Tim Hudson Now on Tim Hudson Then
On August 19, 1999, the author went to Fenway Park expecting to see Pedro Martinez beat the Oakland A's handily. Instead, Martinez was outdueled by then-rookie right-hander Tim Hudson
- Domonic Brown Has Made Some Changes
It's been five years since Domonic Brown cracked the public consciousness as a five-tooler in the Phillies system. Five up and down years. Three of those years, he failed to impress in short samples
- Domonic Brown Good News/Bad News
. It was promising, and, sure enough, Saunders had a breakthrough season. Spring training isn't entirely devoid of substance.
Which brings us to the matter of Domonic Brown, on Tuesday, February 26
- What Can Domonic Brown Do For You?
It appears, once again, that Domonic Brown's name is out there cooking up in the hot stove. Dave and Jeff each touched on Brown when his name last came up in rumors last month when a Brown for Jose
- Tim Lincecum By Phantom Flex
So this is Tim Lincecum as captured by something called the "Phantom Flex," which I imagine is like a Polaroid with attitude:
- Brown's Bad Break Limits Phillies' Flexibility
The Philadelphia Phillies offensive depth was already going to be thin this season. That was before Domonic Brown broke the hamate bone on his right wrist Saturday afternoon. And while there’s
- It’s a Good Time to Grab Dom Brown
If there is one guy I have been following relatively closely throughout this year in case I wanted to pick up a bat, it has been Domonic Brown. In his first year as a starter and his hype at an all
- Senseless 19th Century Baseball Deaths: Lew Brown
Lew Brown played for Providence, at least two Boston clubs, and assorted other teams during a seven-year career. He retired, it would seem, following his age-26 season. In January of 1889, just
- Tim Lincecum's Future Contract
Despite my personal impression that Tim Lincecum and his agent were content to go year to year until free agency, a report surfaced recently that the pair and the Giants were open to talking about
- Tim Lincecum in 2010
After Tim Lincecum got off to a rough start, I wrote that perhaps 2008 would be his peak season. No shame in that. Only 20 individual pitching seasons had accumulated at least 7 WAR, one of those
- Tim Lincecum's Woeful Start
The defending NL Cy Young winner, Tim Lincecum, is going through a rough stretch to start this season. Only eight and a third innings through two starts for Lincecum – who averaged closer to seven
- More on Tim Lincecum
Yesterday a commenter asked about Tim Lincecum’s delivery since it appeared different. Well, after random sampling two of Lincecum’s starts last year and comparing them to this year’s starts, it’s
- Another Look at Tim Lincecum
A while ago I wrote a piece on Tim Lincecum’s early season struggles. Since then, not only has he rebounded, but he’s looking like the best pitcher in the National League, sorry Johan Santana, Josh
- Tim Hudson Opting Out?
According to Ken Rosenthal, the much-maligned free agent pitching crop is about to get a lot stronger, with Tim Hudson set to join the ranks of those available for bidding this winter. The Braves
- Dom Brown: Less Shiny, Still Exciting
Domonic Brown is back in the bigs. He was once projected by Bill James to go 30/30, so obviously he has the tools to stick in the major leagues. But just as obvious is the fact that he's not the same
- Tim Hudson's Evolving Arsenal
Two decades ago, Tim Hudson was finishing up his first season at Chattahoochee Valley Community College. He was a short righty with a sinker, a slurve and small hands. More than 3,000 innings later
- Don't Anchor Tiny Tim
of a player's value and quality will persist. This season, anchoring has occurred for many with regards to Tim Lincecum.
For those wondering why analysts tend to place small sample size disclaimers
- Tim Lincecum's Early Struggles
Something is wrong with Tim Lincecum. After giving up five runs in his first start this year, things got worse for him last night. In just 2.1 innings, Lincecum allowed six runs on nine hits while
- Tim Hudson's 2010
Since he broke into the big leagues back in 1999, Tim Hudson has quietly ranked among the better starting pitchers in the majors. According to Sean Smith's historical Wins Above Replacement numbers
- The Understated Greatness of Tim Hudson
at the 2014 performance of some of the game's elite, and determine whether they in fact have taken things to the next level. Today, Tim Hudson.
Your first thought might be, Tim Hudson - elite? A brief
- Tim Hudson's Charmed Season
After returning from Tommy John surgery last September, Tim Hudson picked up right where he left off. The undersized righty logged 42.1 innings pitched for the Atlanta Braves, striking out 6.38
- The Tim Hudson Renaissance
As a general rule, giving multi-year contracts to 38-year-old pitchers coming off major ankle injuries is not a good idea. Yet Brian Sabean and the San Francisco Giants did just that, inking Tim
- For Reference: Mordecai Brown vs. Django Reinhardt
as the Horrible. Indeed, perhaps in many cases, this is the result. In the dual cases of great right-hander Mordecai Brown and great jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt, however, such an injury actually
- Not a Chuck Close Painting of Tim Lincecum
Because noted American painter Chuck Close has never done a portrait of San Francisco Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum, the image embedded here is by definition not an actual Chuck Close portrait
- Waiver Wire and the DL: Brown, Blake, Garland and Pineiro
Domonic Brown (2.7% owned) – Wrist – Dominic's return to the Phillies looks to be in late April right now. He entered the season with high expectations, but his wrist injury set him back
- Video: Next Up Impersonating Tim Kurkjian: Tim Dillard
The Tim Kurkjian Impression Contest has been, hands down, the best part of spring training. Next up, Milwaukee's Tim Dillard:
Kurkjian's reaction when Dillard showed up was just priceless
- FG on Fox: When Tim Lincecum is Still Tim Lincecum
On Wednesday, for the second time in a year, Tim Lincecum threw a no-hitter. For the second time in a year, it was against the San Diego Padres. As Rob Neyer wrote yesterday, one pitcher throwing
- It's Official: Tim Lincecum Hella Cool
25 Coolest Athletes of All Time. Tim Lincecum is on the list, and I am running -- not walking -- to say I'm on board with that.
GQ has its own perspective on "cool," and their list is American
- Tim Lincecum Throws -- Sunflower Seeds?!
It's hard to impress the ol' teammates. Just ask Tim Lincecum:
After Saturday's game, Lincecum released this statement via his publicist:
I am an excitable person who only understands life
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Tim Lincecum
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Tim Lincecum.
- Tim Beckham Has Left The Building
After the Rays traded for Yunel Escobar, I began working on a piece discussing prospect ETA's and how off-season moves affected players like Tim Beckham. In it, I closed the door on Beckham
- Tim Lincecum: True American Hero
This is a couple of months old (then again, so am I), but it absolutely merits a mention.
Tim Lincecum, who is awesome in a bounty of ways, already has a pair of Cy Young awards placed
- Tim Lincecum's Metabolism Works Hard
As you may have heard, read or intuited all by yourself, Tim Lincecum is, somewhat famously, particularly svelte as professional athletes go. But it's certainly not for a lack of trying to join
- The Man Who's Owned Tim Lincecum
Circumstances were different when Paul Goldschmidt faced Tim Lincecum the first time. In early August of 2011, Goldschmidt was playing in his second-ever major-league game, a young first baseman
- Is Tim Lincecum Taking a Big Risk?
Tim Lincecum has done more than enough during his career to merit a big contract. But after reportedly turning down a five-year offer worth "at least $100 million" — and instead opting for a two-year
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Tim Hudson
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Tim Hudson.
- Tim Lincecum's Last Best Chance
it on the menu.
Oh, and there's also Tim Lincecum. Hi, Tim Lincecum.
It's still a weird feeling, I think. It's not news that Lincecum is hardly the elite starter he once was, but it's still a little
- Tim Marchman Asks the Tough Question
Seriously, what the hell?
Yesterday, Tim Marchman asked perhaps one of the great questions surrounding the baseball community today: What the f*** is with this Jack Morris s***? It's a thought
- Tim Lincecum and the Slow Death of ERA
. Over the last two seasons, the only qualified pitcher with a worse ERA- than Lincecum is Edinson Volquez, who the Padres released during the season. By runs allowed, Tim Lincecum has been basically
- Tim Lincecum's Eyes Are Wide Open
Maybe you find Tim Lincecum frustrating. He's still throwing no-hitters, still in the top 25 for swinging strikes, still has an above-average strikeout rate, and still has a an above-average ground
- Tim Lincecum To Scrap His Slider?
It looks like Tim Lincecum is going to put his slider in his 'back pocket,' at least to start the season. Manager Bruce Bochy speculated that the reasoning behind the move was that the pitch
- Tim Lincecum's Change-up is Back
The demise of Tim Lincecum has been greatly exaggerated. He proved as much Saturday, tossing a no-hitter against the San Diego Padres. While Lincecum hasn't put up vintage numbers, he's shown big
- Q&A: Tim Hudson, Evolution of a Repertoire
Tim Hudson has had a long and successful career. The 36-year-old right-hander owns a 187-100 recrod and a 3.41 ERA in 389 big-league appearances. Now in his eighth season with the Atlanta Braves
- Sergio Romo and the Tim Wakefield Fastball
a step back. Between 2007-2011, Tim Wakefield posted a roughly league-average ERA over nearly 800 innings. The overwhelming majority of his pitches were knuckleballs, a very small minority of his
- My Farewell: Scouting Tim Melville
Last Sunday I was able to take in one of Tim Melville's starts against the Potomac Nationals at the local Pfitzner Stadium. Melville's obviously a big name and one of the top arms in Kansas City's
- What Is Tim Lincecum Worth In Arbitration?
in their $17 million offer to Tim Lincecum, the highest such amount ever offered a player with fewer than six years of service time. Lincecum countered with his own record-setting figure of $21.5
- Prospect Impact: Kolten Wong, Gary Brown, Hak-Ju Lee
ACTION: Giants sign OF Angel Pagan
PROSPECT IMPACT: OF Gary Brown, Giants
The speedy Brown burst onto the scene with a ridiculous 2011 in which he hit .336 with 53 steals, while also racking up 61
- Video: J.P. Arencibia as Tim Kurkjian
- Domonic Brown, Mike Minor, Rubby De La Rosa: Mining the Minors
(or return, if already sent down) during this season.
Players listed in order of 2011 fantasy impact.
MIXED LEAGUE RELEVANT
Domonic Brown, Phillies OF
- Tim Spooneybarger Surrounded by Spoons, Knees, Barges
It came to my attention, while doing some very important, not-at-all bullshit research, that there was once a baseball player named Tim Spooneybarger. As he was not a baseball player that long ago, I
- Tim Byrdak's Robust Commentary on Role of Disguise
, they are often done so as a means to ecstasy of some sort.
This footage of left-handed reliever and newish New York Met Tim Byrdak dressed as wrestler Hulk Hogan does little to dispel that notion -- on account
- Candidate to Replace Jim-Tim McCarver: Jon Bois
Although I (still) have no say whatsoever in who takes up ol' Jim-Tim McCarver's seat at FoxSports' Roundtable of Sports Insights & Sports Analysis (since the last time we checked in, word
- Tim Lincecum: 6th Best Fantasy Starter?
Recently here at Rotographs, we released our rest of season rankings for starting pitchers, I had Tim Lincecum rated as the sixth-highest fantasy pitcher. To say the least, I took a little heat
- Candidate to Replace Jim-Tim McCarver: Dayn Perry
Although I have no say whatsoever in who takes up ol' Jim-Tim McCarver's seat at the Roundtable of Sports Insights & Sports Analysis (it will probably be Matt Vasgersian), I will nonetheless
- Tim Hudson Heads West, Joins Giants
As first reported by the Bay Area Sports Guy, the Giants are going to sign former Braves hurler Tim Hudson to a two year, $23 million contract. This is slightly higher than the FanGraphs Crowd's
- Tim Lincecum Starts Making Sense By Not Making Sense
-- they finished with 11 hits in 33 at-bats, eight of which went for extra bases. But another crucial contributor was one Tim Lincecum, pitching in long relief.
Lincecum was not the first guy Bruce Bochy
- Tim Lincecum: Bad Luck or Bad Pitches?
After giving up five runs in five innings in Seattle on Saturday, Tim Lincecum's ERA now stands at 6.19. However, his 3.87 FIP and 3.82 xFIP stand in stark contrast to that mark, and his walk rate
- John Lackey, Tim Hudson and Pitching Longevity
Tim Hudson go up against 35-year-old John Lackey in game three of the National League Championship series. If, at the beginning of this decade, you had these guys down as top-25 pitchers for the next
- What Tim Hudson Would Do For a Ring
Tim Hudson: Would you trade your arm for a ring? After all, any Giants fan remembers how Nen put everything he had left into the Giants' 2002 run to the World Series -- his career ended with surgery