- Show Me the $! End-of-Year Payrolls
, the AL East), it can be a sign of widening payroll disparity between the Yankees and Red Sox and the rest of the Division. If you look at the AL West, it’s a whiplashed roller-coaster ride that sees Tom
- Sizing Up Mark Cuban; Potential Owner Of The Rangers
We're happy to announce that Maury Brown, owner of the Business of Sports Network, will be writing for us here every Tuesday. Please welcome Maury to the crew.
Well, this is a fine mess you
- How MLB Became the Example of Peacemakers
The quote above wasn’t from Jerry Richardson, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, or Jerry Jones. It was former Texas Rangers owner Tom Hicks in 2002 shortly before Major League Baseball and the MLB Players
- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
(Toronto Sun), Tim Kurkjian (ESPN), Ross Newhan (retired, Los Angeles Times) and Tom Verducci (Sports Illustrated).
So, the debate will be, should Steinbrenner go in on the first vote, or should
- Playing the God of Baseball
, or (as is the case with McCourt) realize that coming into ownership leveraged deep and then going up to your gills in debt isn’t good for the best interests of baseball. Go ask Tom Hicks what I think of him
- Could MLB's Postseason TV Ratings Be Down?
to the postseason for the first time since going back-to-back to the NLDS in 2005-06.
Finally, there are the Rangers, who out of Tom Hicks’ bumbled bankruptcy, are returning to the postseason
- The Upcoming CBA: An International Draft
in places like the Dominican and other countries.
"So many of the international players are unknown to many different clubs," said Tom Allison, the D-backs scouting director to MLB.com. "That's where
- What's In Store for the Texas Rangers Auction
damages from the “eve-of-filing transaction” that involves the lease transfer and/or the $70 million separate land deal that has been brokered between Tom Hicks and the Greenberg/Ryan group
- Maddux, Clemens, Pedro... Brown?
that includes: Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, and Curt Schilling. This post isn't about Mussina, though, who is usually nestled between Glavine
- Blurred Expectations Unavoidable for Adam Lind
- MLB Free Agency Dollars to Date
- Not finalized
Bobby Jenks - Not finalized
Tsuyoshi Nishioka - Not confirmed
Miguel Olivo - Working
Follow Maury Brown on Twitter @BizballMaury
- Inside Salary Arbitration
flipped). That has now been corrected. -- Maury Brown
Before Curt Flood’s landmark case, and before Messersmith and McNally held out in a contract year, thus allowing for the reserve clause
- Rob Manfred on Minor League Drug Testing Program
- Why Relocation and Expansion are a Pain for MLB
- Will Leaked MLB Financials Alter Revenue-Sharing?
- I Really Had a Blackout
- The Death of Baseball in Portland
- Breaking Down 2010 MLB Regular Season Attendance
- Rays Lose ALDS, San Antonio Dreams the Pipedream
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Prelude - Different Is Good
- At Game 1 of the World Series: Overflow Media
- A Primer on the Baseball Winter Meetings
- Making Postseason $ When Missing The Playoffs
- Salary Arbitration Mumbo Jumbo
- Phillies summon Domonic Brown
prospect in baseball: outfielder Domonic Brown. Most of us expected Brown to get the call once the team traded Jayson Werth, but Victorino's injury makes such a deal unlikely. Werth will instead shift
- The Dramatic Decline of Domonic Brown
Coming into the 2011 season, Domonic Brown ranked as the fourth-best prospect in all of baseball according to Baseball America. The Philadelphia Phillies had just watched right fielder Jayson Werth
- Dom Brown Up or Down?
On a team accused of aging quickly -- though the space-time continuum has something to say about that -- Domonic Brown is the youngest, most exciting offensive piece. But now he's spent two seasons
- Should Kevin Brown Be in the Hall of Fame?
Is there a more overlooked candidate on the current Hall-of-Fame ballot than Kevin Brown?
Poke around, and you'll find the usual shopworn debates and entrenched positions, but Brown, it would seem
- Chris Brown: Blue Jays Fan
"Teach me how to Dougie Chris Brown." Watch the video. Tell me what you see.
I, of course, obliged.
In the video that's been
- Tom Seaver Has No Friends
MetsBlog.com has a quote from Tom Seaver about Johan Santana's no-hitter:
I’ve never met Johan personally, but, what I’ve heard about him is that he has a big heart and is a huge competitor. I
- The Fruits of Tom Gordon
Tom Gordon has had a noteworthy career, but for today, the discussion is going to focus on three players who have a connection to Tom Gordon that most do not realize. Gio Gonzalez, Ian Kennedy
- Spotted: A Colombian Person Named Steve Brown
First, Colombia was inhabited by indigenous peoples like the Muisca, Quimbaya, and Tairona. Then, in the 16th century, it was conquered by the Spanish. Then, in 1986, Steve Brown was born
- Daily Graphing - Tom Glavine
After finish up the second half of 2004 with a 4-7 record and an ERA over 5, many thought it might be nearing the end for Tom Glavine who had been pitching in the majors for 18 years. 2005 started
- Tom Layne and Release Points
velocity and strikeout rate, there are plenty of pitchers that make less gas work by varying speeds, varying location, and varying movement.
Jack Moore did an excellent job of talking about Tom Layne's
- Tom Wilhelmsen Thrives With Fastball
Tom Wilhelmsen converted his seventh save of the season Monday night against the Orioles, tossing a scoreless ninth inning. The appearance marked his 16th straight without allowing an earned run
- Is Tom Milone Worth an Add?
In his first start as an Oakland Athletic, Tom Milone pitched eight shutout innings and allowed just six baserunners, which should prompt him to become a pretty big waiver wire pickup today
- What Is Tom Gorzelanny?
After picking up Matt Garza from Tampa Bay, the Cubs were widely expected to trade Tom Gorzelanny in order to free up a spot in the rotation for their newly acquired starter. Today, that expectation
- Domonic Brown Has Made Some Changes
It's been five years since Domonic Brown cracked the public consciousness as a five-tooler in the Phillies system. Five up and down years. Three of those years, he failed to impress in short samples
- Domonic Brown Good News/Bad News
. It was promising, and, sure enough, Saunders had a breakthrough season. Spring training isn't entirely devoid of substance.
Which brings us to the matter of Domonic Brown, on Tuesday, February 26
- Brown's Bad Break Limits Phillies' Flexibility
The Philadelphia Phillies offensive depth was already going to be thin this season. That was before Domonic Brown broke the hamate bone on his right wrist Saturday afternoon. And while there’s
- It’s a Good Time to Grab Dom Brown
If there is one guy I have been following relatively closely throughout this year in case I wanted to pick up a bat, it has been Domonic Brown. In his first year as a starter and his hype at an all
- A Short, Mediocre Play Featuring Tom Milone
(The curtain rises to reveal TOM MILONE, left-handed pitcher for the Oakland A's.)
TOM MILONE: My name is Tom Milone, of the Oakland baseball club. My ambition is to become a character
- Book Review: Tom Clark's BASEBALL
found Tom Clark’s Baseball -- over 30 years after it was published.
I’ll cut to the quick: Baseball is a – perhaps the – must-read book for those who appreciate the NotGraphs approach to fanaticism
- Dom Brown: Less Shiny, Still Exciting
Domonic Brown is back in the bigs. He was once projected by Bill James to go 30/30, so obviously he has the tools to stick in the major leagues. But just as obvious is the fact that he's not the same
- Tom Milone and the Whole Velocity Thing
, and recently traded, left-hander Tom Milone.
If, somehow, you're not that sort of person, perhaps you've wandered to this site by accident. In any case, here's a recap of what you would've found
- Tom Wilhelmsen, A Good Ottoneu Add
Up until last night, Tom Wilhelmsen was my highest scorer in ottoneu, a league in which I own Ryan Braun, Troy Tulowitzki, Robinson Cano, and Dan Haren, to name a few. Mike Minor's great outing
- Waiver Wire and the DL: Brown, Blake, Garland and Pineiro
Domonic Brown (2.7% owned) – Wrist – Dominic's return to the Phillies looks to be in late April right now. He entered the season with high expectations, but his wrist injury set him back
- Tom McNamara: Scouting the Mariners Draft
Tom McNamara is playing a major role in the Mariners’ rebuilding efforts. Seattle’s scouting director for each of the past three drafts, McNamara added a franchise cornerstone when he took Dustin
- A Breathless Update on That Signed Tom Milone Hat
Many will enter (bids), only one will leave (with an autographed Tom Milone hat).
The attentive reader, using the part of his brain responsible for memory, will recall how, yesterday, the author
- The Entire World Reacts to a Tom Haudricourt Tweet
With the likelihood increasing that Jimmy Rollins will return to the Phillies and Rafael Furcal won't be signing with the Brewers, beat writer Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- FanGraphs Audio: Tom Haberstroh, NBA Nerd
Sources close to FanGraphs Audio report that the 2011-12 NBA season is mere days away. To acquaint us with same, we bring in a kindred spirit: ESPN NBA analyst Tom Haberstroh. Topics
- FanGraphs Audio: Tom Brookens and Phil Coke
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with Tigers personalities of past and present and present: former Detroit third baseman (and current first-base coach) Tom Brookens
- FanGraphs Audio: Tom Zentmeyer, President of WhatIfSports
Tom Zentmeyer is the president of WhatIfSports and was integral to that site's creation of Hardball Dynasty, an online simulation that allows one to become both GM and manager
- Theo Epstein-Tom Ricketts Meeting Illustrated
News -- nay, "news" -- broke yesterday that a Chicagoan saw Red Sox GM Theo Epstein meeting with Cubs chairman/owner Tom Ricketts at a Starbucks. The resident/spy was "99.99% percent" sure
- Prospect Impact: Kolten Wong, Gary Brown, Hak-Ju Lee
ACTION: Giants sign OF Angel Pagan
PROSPECT IMPACT: OF Gary Brown, Giants
The speedy Brown burst onto the scene with a ridiculous 2011 in which he hit .336 with 53 steals, while also racking up 61
- Domonic Brown, Mike Minor, Rubby De La Rosa: Mining the Minors
(or return, if already sent down) during this season.
Players listed in order of 2011 fantasy impact.
MIXED LEAGUE RELEVANT
Domonic Brown, Phillies OF
- Spiritual Exercise re: Henderson Alvarez & Tom Milone
left-hander Tom Milone make their respective season debuts tonight -- the former at 7:07pm ET; the latter, at 10:05pm ET. While throwing from different sides and at considerably different velocities
- Pirates Trade John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny
Snell, Freddy Sanchez, Tom Gorzelanny, and John Grabow
Into these guys:
Charlie Morton, Jeff Locke, Gorkys Hernandez, Lastings Milledge, Joel Hanrahan, Eric Fryer, Casey Erickson, Argenis Diaz
- Tom Layne Emerges From Padres Bullpen
Tom Layne's major league career is just 157 pitches old. Typically, this is not great news for a 27-year-old. Layne, however, has put together an exemplary 157 pitches to open his time in the big
- Tom Milone and the Scourge of a Weak Four-seamer
was significantly lower than league-average.
Which brings us to the case of Oakland Athletics left-hander, Tom Milone. After starting five games as a 24-year-old for the Nationals last season, Milone
- Q&A: Tom Burgmeier, '80s Bullpen Horse
If you weren’t a baseball fan between 1968 and 1984, you probably aren’t very familiar with Tom Burgmeier. Even if you know the name, chances are you don’t realize he was one of the top workhorse
- Tom Gorzelanny Is Starting to Reach His Potential
of chances even after their original team gives up. The Pirates have experienced this twice in the past few years, with Oliver Perez and then Tom Gorzelanny. While they made the right call in the case
- Update: Autographed Tom Milone Hat Still Just $10
"Instant collector's item" is only one of many phrases that describes this autographed Tom Milone hat.
Hey gang, just wanted to let everyone know that the autographed and game-worn Tom Milone hat
- Daily Notes, Largely Concerning Tom Milone's Change
- Totally Unaltered Tweet: Inside Tom Ricketts
- Tom Kelly in Zubaz vs. A Pitching Machine