- 2016 Chicago Cubs Projections
- Tom Oltarzewski's Ottoneu Bold Predictions
, as owners take advantage of the new wave of information and collaboration available to us.
10) None of Tom, Trey, or Joe will win a championship this year ... but Justin will.
Ottoneu is hard, even
- OttoGraphs Episode 4: Joe and Tom's Bold Predictions
In this episode of OttoGraphs, recorded just before the beginning of the regular season, Joe and Tom talk about some of their ottoneu-specific bold predictions (Joe, Tom), and banter about a few
- Tom McNamara: Scouting the Mariners Draft
Tom McNamara is playing a major role in the Mariners’ rebuilding efforts. Seattle’s scouting director for each of the past three drafts, McNamara added a franchise cornerstone when he took Dustin
- The Daily Grind: Walker, Cody Anderson, Reynolds
The Future vs. Now
Daily DFS - Bettis, Walker
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Anderson, Morgan, Reynolds, Spangenberg
1. The Future vs. Now
- OttoGraphs Episode 11: Trade Breakdown
In this episode of OttoGraphs, Tom, Justin, and Joe break down the latest big trade out of the Ottoneu Champions League, and then discuss some of the implications and general trade strategies at play
- OttoGraphs Episode 12: Early Ottoneu Prospect Standouts
In this episode of OttoGraphs, Tom and Justin highlight some prospects who are gaining value this spring, with a specific eye towards ottoneu's unique prospect landscape. We also give a brief pitch
- OttoGraphs Episode 9: Player Value Changes
In this episode of OttoGraphs, Tom and Joe discuss some players who have changed their value in the early going, specifically with respect to the Ottoneu FGPts format.
Feel free to comment
- OttoGraphs Episode 10: Ottoneu Power Rankings
In this episode of OttoGraphs, Tom, Justin, and Trey discuss some early results in the Ottoneu Power Rankings, particularly what those results can tell us about the state of ottoneu strategy across
- OttoGraphs Episode 6: Interview with Niv Shah
In this episode of OttoGraphs, Tom and Trey interview Niv Shah, the creator of Ottoneu.
We discuss a wide variety of topics, including, but not limited to:
the brand new Ottoneu Community (You
- OttoGraphs Episode 13: The Good, the Bad, and the Harvey
In this episode of OttoGraphs, Tom and Trey discuss some players who have had notable seasons so far, for good and bad reasons! On the positive side, players like Jonathan Villar, Aledmys Diaz, Derek
- OttoGraphs Episode 14: Ottoneu All Star Hitters
In this episode of OttoGraphs, Tom, Justin, and Trey chat about some hitters who have represented the best values in Ottoneu over the first half of the season, including underpaid superstars like
- OttoGraphs Episode 15: Ottoneu All Star Pitchers
In this episode of OttoGraphs, Tom, and Trey continue last week's discussion about Ottoneu All Stars, this time hitting some of the first half's most valuable pitchers, including Drew Pomeranz, Rich
- OttoGraphs Episode 8: The Standings Dashboard
In this episode of OttoGraphs, Tom, Trey, and Justin discuss the Standings Dashboard, a tool that helps you analyze your team's performance and compare it to the league. Later, we talk about how
- 2016 Ottoneu FGpts Rankings – Prospects
AVG. – The average of our four rankings (for the purposes of this exercise "NR" was calculated as a ranking of 55)
Split – Difference
- The Fantasy Infirmary, with Dr. Otto Neu, M.D.
- OttoGraphs Episode 5: OttoGraphs Time Capsule
- OttoGraphs Episode 7: Early Season Advice
- Blurred Expectations Unavoidable for Adam Lind
- Carrasco's New Deal, and Why the Yankees Should Do the Same with Pineda
- Introducing Two New Pitching Metrics: exOUT% and exRP27
- Cashman Strikes Again
- Neil Walker and Walker Power Rankings
At this point, the reader should not be surprised that I claimed Neil Walker. I've often touched on him in the Roto Riteups — no really, I have a bit of a man-crush on him — and so it was only
- Mariners' Scouting Director Tom McNamara on Alex Jackson and High School Picks
74th-overall, was 18-year-old Gareth Morgan out of North Toronto Collegiate [high school] in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Tom McNamara, as one would expect, is bullish on both. The Mariners' director of amateur
- Neil Walker's Impressive Season
Neil Walker is only 24-years-old but has the prospect life of someone a few years his senior. Baseball America featured the 11th overall pick of the 2004 draft on four consecutive top 100 lists
- Remembering Moses Fleetwood Walker
not the first black player to play in the Majors. That honor goes to Moses Fleetwood Walker. Walker broke the colour barrier on May 1st 1884, and he played for the Toledo Blue Stockings, who were part
- Here Comes Taijuan Walker
You've read articles like this before. That's because Taijuan Walker has been a somebody for years, and we've all been waiting for him to kick it up. When you know a player is already hyped, you're
- Dylan Bundy or Taijuan Walker?
Since seeing Taijuan Walker last week in Chattanooga, the requests for comparisons between the young right-hander and fellow uber-prospect Dylan Bundy of the Orioles have been coming hot and heavy
- Bucs Call Up Walker
Pittsburgh Pirates placed 1B Steve Pearce (ankle) on the DL; recalled UTIL Neil Walker from Triple-A Indianapolis.
The ankle injury is a tough break for Pearce, as the 27-year-old was beginning
- Time Running Out For Walker
The Pittsburgh Pirates drafted Neil Walker out of a local high school in the first round of the 2004 draft (11th overall). At the time, he was a young, promising, switch-hitting catcher. More than
- Walker Worthy of Extension
A lot of people wrote Neil Walker off as a bust before he even had a chance to prove himself in the majors. First, he was a failed catcher. Then, he was a failed third baseman. He needed two years
- Larry Walker and the Hall of Fame
whether or not Larry Walker is a legitimate Hall of Fame candidate. Indeed, much of my gravitation towards Walker is derived from his playing era; my baseball formative years started around 1993
- Taijuan Walker's Journey
Taijuan Walker is an elite pitching prospect. Despite the TINSTAAPP rules, Walker has ranked in the top 15 of the major top 100 lists, and he’s Seattle’s No.1 or No. 2 prospect, depending on the list
- Pavano and Walker Find Homes
season. If it works out, the move can help to cement the Indians “rebound” status in 2009, and helps to continue their off-season makeover.
Mariners sign Tyler Walker (1/?)
Seattle added Eric Hull
- Taijuan Walker's Command, Then and Now
rates may not have great command. Taijuan Walker does not have good command. He also walked 9.5% of the batters he faced in the minor leagues, a number that isn't as far off the American League
- Who Is the Real Taijuan Walker?
Taijuan Walker, who just recently turned 23, was part of the problem. Around Memorial Day, he began to look like part of the solution. Which version of Walker is the one we can expect to see moving
- Tom Seaver Has No Friends
MetsBlog.com has a quote from Tom Seaver about Johan Santana's no-hitter:
I’ve never met Johan personally, but, what I’ve heard about him is that he has a big heart and is a huge competitor. I
- The Fruits of Tom Gordon
Tom Gordon has had a noteworthy career, but for today, the discussion is going to focus on three players who have a connection to Tom Gordon that most do not realize. Gio Gonzalez, Ian Kennedy
- Neil Walker: Improperly Named
You can't choose your last name. Otherwise, we might have to quibble with Neil Walker's choice, considering his career walk rate is below league average. His impatience doesn't come with a poor
- The Greatness of Tom Glavine
, you have to search for what those changes could've been. Other times, they flash in blinding neon. Tom Glavine was born in 1966. In June of 1984, he was drafted by the Atlanta Braves. In June of 1984
- Daily Graphing - Tom Glavine
After finish up the second half of 2004 with a 4-7 record and an ERA over 5, many thought it might be nearing the end for Tom Glavine who had been pitching in the majors for 18 years. 2005 started
- Tom Layne and Release Points
velocity and strikeout rate, there are plenty of pitchers that make less gas work by varying speeds, varying location, and varying movement.
Jack Moore did an excellent job of talking about Tom Layne's
- Mustache Watch: Fleet Walker's Bobblehead
Flourishing almost a hundred years before the birth of Pharrell Williams, Fleet Walker was the original black nerd. Not only did Walker run his own newspaper and manage an opera house
- Neil Walker in Long Term Leagues
Two second basemen hit 23 home runs this year. One was Minnesota’s Brian Dozier and the other was Pittsburgh’s Neil Walker. Walker does not have the speed Dozier possesses, but his power did make him
- Tom Wilhelmsen Thrives With Fastball
Tom Wilhelmsen converted his seventh save of the season Monday night against the Orioles, tossing a scoreless ninth inning. The appearance marked his 16th straight without allowing an earned run
- Is Tom Milone Worth an Add?
In his first start as an Oakland Athletic, Tom Milone pitched eight shutout innings and allowed just six baserunners, which should prompt him to become a pretty big waiver wire pickup today
- What Is Tom Gorzelanny?
After picking up Matt Garza from Tampa Bay, the Cubs were widely expected to trade Tom Gorzelanny in order to free up a spot in the rotation for their newly acquired starter. Today, that expectation
- Neil Walker: The Kinda Bad Face
This is a picture of Pirate second baseman Neil Walker from the online edition of Pittsburgh's organizational top-10 list from BA's 2006 prospect handbook.
The notable thing about the photo
- The Good and the Worse of Taijuan Walker's Changeup
It's obvious, now, that Taijuan Walker is going to enter the season as a member of the Mariners' rotation. He survived an offseason of trade rumors and beat out the recently-demoted Roenis Elias
- Taijuan Walker Still Scratching The Surface
During the 2011 season, Mariners Taijuan Walker quickly morphed from project to one of the best pitching prospects in baseball. Entering 2012, an aggressive assignment to Double-A skipped him past
- Taijuan Walker Is Inexperienced and Who Cares
Taijuan Walker has graced the top tier of many prospect lists for some time now, and for good reason. The former first rounder from 2010 shot through the Seattle Mariner minor league system
- Neil Walker: Boring Has Value
Before the season, Neil Walker basically epitomized the term "blah" when describing his fantasy baseball prospects. He was expected to contribute a little here and a little there, but not stand out
- 2016 Pod Projections: Taijuan Walker
of 2015. It was one in which the hype became deafening for Taijuan Walker. He pitched 27 innings, allowing just two runs, for a microscopic 0.67 ERA. His underlying peripherals (ya know, the spring stats
- Taijuan Walker Has a New Weapon
don't command that well. You can throw in the zone more and risk home runs if you miss more middle-middle.
It looks like Seattle's Taijuan Walker is fighting poor command with a new weapon: throwing
- Walker and Weeks: 2B Ownership Decliners
On Monday, I looked at two 2B, Danny Espinosa and Ryan Roberts, who are being dropped the most in ESPN leagues. Today, I am going to look at the next most dropped 2B, Jemile Weeks and Neil Walker
- Book Review: Tom Clark's BASEBALL
found Tom Clark’s Baseball -- over 30 years after it was published.
I’ll cut to the quick: Baseball is a – perhaps the – must-read book for those who appreciate the NotGraphs approach to fanaticism
- Quick Looks: Henderson, Walker and Chen
on in the Doug Fister and Tim Hudson mold of a High GB/Low K pitcher. He doesn’t have much of a ceiling or floor right now.
Why I watched: 9/24/14
- A Short, Mediocre Play Featuring Tom Milone
(The curtain rises to reveal TOM MILONE, left-handed pitcher for the Oakland A's.)
TOM MILONE: My name is Tom Milone, of the Oakland baseball club. My ambition is to become a character
- Tom Milone and the Whole Velocity Thing
, and recently traded, left-hander Tom Milone.
If, somehow, you're not that sort of person, perhaps you've wandered to this site by accident. In any case, here's a recap of what you would've found
- Tom Wilhelmsen, A Good Ottoneu Add
Up until last night, Tom Wilhelmsen was my highest scorer in ottoneu, a league in which I own Ryan Braun, Troy Tulowitzki, Robinson Cano, and Dan Haren, to name a few. Mike Minor's great outing
- What Did We See in Taijuan Walker's Return?
Taijuan Walker is back. It's an unusual thing to say of a guy who was barely here in the first place, but Walker finally made his big-league 2014 debut Monday night, turning in six decent frames
- How Valuable a Trade Piece is Taijuan Walker?
for, but also names of people to be traded away. It seems unlikely the Mariners will elect to move James Paxton. Yet there's also Taijuan Walker, whose inclusion in a trade could open a lot of doors. Walker
- Mets, Pirates Exchange Jon Niese, Neil Walker
The Mets looked like quite possibly the favorites to sign Ben Zobrist, right up until they didn't do that. So now they've gone ahead and re-purposed their "Welcome" sign to read "Neil Walker" instead
- White Sox Keenyn Walker Is All Tools
Last June, the Chicago White Sox plucked outfielder Keenyn Walker from the junior college ranks with the 47th overall pick in the amateur draft. After seeing him in person late in the 2011 season
- Daily Notes: Taijuan Walker to Debut on This Day in History
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of the Daily Notes.
1. Taijuan Walker to Debut on This Day in History
2. Today’s MLB.TV Free Game
3. Today's Complete Schedule
- Taijuan Walker, Francisco Lindor and Cactus League Sleepers
Taijuan Walker - Upon arriving in Peoria Walker announced he was scrapping his traditional curveball for a "spike" curve. The decision was a shock, Mike Newman called the offering
- A Breathless Update on That Signed Tom Milone Hat
Many will enter (bids), only one will leave (with an autographed Tom Milone hat).
The attentive reader, using the part of his brain responsible for memory, will recall how, yesterday, the author
- Neil Walker Swinging Out of His Shoes
, that isn't a problem, since he's produced at an elite level for the past year and a half. The emphasis this year will be on Pedro Alvarez, Jose Tabata, and Neil Walker. Walker, in particular, has
- The Entire World Reacts to a Tom Haudricourt Tweet
With the likelihood increasing that Jimmy Rollins will return to the Phillies and Rafael Furcal won't be signing with the Brewers, beat writer Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Reports From Instructs: Chargois & Walker
J.T. Chargois and Adam Walker are both players I saw as amateurs in 2012, they both went in the top 100 picks to the Twins and both have interesting tools that had evolved by the time I saw them
- Prospect Watch: Christian Walker, Anthony Alford
1st of the current year); Top-15, the prospect's place on Marc Hulet's preseason organizational list; and Top-100, that same prospect's rank on Hulet's overall top-100 list.
- FanGraphs Audio: Tom Haberstroh, NBA Nerd
Sources close to FanGraphs Audio report that the 2011-12 NBA season is mere days away. To acquaint us with same, we bring in a kindred spirit: ESPN NBA analyst Tom Haberstroh. Topics
- FanGraphs Audio: Tom Brookens and Phil Coke
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks with Tigers personalities of past and present and present: former Detroit third baseman (and current first-base coach) Tom Brookens
- FanGraphs Audio: Tom Zentmeyer, President of WhatIfSports
Tom Zentmeyer is the president of WhatIfSports and was integral to that site's creation of Hardball Dynasty, an online simulation that allows one to become both GM and manager
- Theo Epstein-Tom Ricketts Meeting Illustrated
News -- nay, "news" -- broke yesterday that a Chicagoan saw Red Sox GM Theo Epstein meeting with Cubs chairman/owner Tom Ricketts at a Starbucks. The resident/spy was "99.99% percent" sure
- Second Base Risers: Beckham, Walker, Hall
Dunn and Paul Konerko, the runs scored will come by the boatload.
Good, But Not 2010 Good: Neil Walker
After a few years of trying to figure it out at the upper levels of the Pirates' system
- 2B Non-Keepers: Walker, Ackley, and Kipnis
Walker – If Neil is your keeper at 2B, there are 12 better choices to try to acquire. He is not going to put up a good AVG, HR or SB total. He is going to put up an average numbers of each
- Q&A: Taijuan Walker, High-Ceiling Mariner
Taijuan Walker is more than the top pitching prospect in the Seattle Mariners organization. The 20-year-old right-hander is among the best in the game. With only 126 innings under his belt he remains
- Cooperstown and Tom Glavine Just Don't Mix
(and 203 losses) HAS to be looked at, and addressed. Because in 2014 when Tom Glavine is considered for induction into baseball's most prestigious sanctuary, those 305 wins are going to be discussed
- Tom Glavine's Allegedly Generous Strike Zone
People don't really argue about Tom Glavine anymore. It's been some years since he pitched, and we have younger, Troutier, Cabreraier things to argue about. But when people did argue about Tom
- Alex Colome & Christian Walker: Deep League Wire
strikeout rate. And then Tropicana Field could help suppress their power.
Christian Walker | 1B BAL | 3% Owned
After Chris Davis was suspended for the rest of the regular season, the Orioles
- Tom Gorzelanny and Others with Three Above Average Pitches
end and examine Tom Gorzelanny.
First, I will step through how I found a possible sleeper in a 31-year-old left handed middle reliever. I was looking for pitchers who threw three above average
- Tom Seaver, Yusmeiro Petit, Hunter Strickland and Deception
"Tom Seaver, he had the whole package. Power, deception, command, everything," said Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti last week before FanFest. We'd been talking about tipping pitches
- Spiritual Exercise re: Henderson Alvarez & Tom Milone
left-hander Tom Milone make their respective season debuts tonight -- the former at 7:07pm ET; the latter, at 10:05pm ET. While throwing from different sides and at considerably different velocities
- Mariners Send Tom Wilhelmsen for Leonys Martin
But these are the things you have to talk about when you try to evaluate the trade that sent center fielder Leonys Martin and reliever Anthony Bass to the Mariners and reliever Tom Wilhelmsen and outfielder James
- Pirates Trade John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny
Snell, Freddy Sanchez, Tom Gorzelanny, and John Grabow
Into these guys:
Charlie Morton, Jeff Locke, Gorkys Hernandez, Lastings Milledge, Joel Hanrahan, Eric Fryer, Casey Erickson, Argenis Diaz
- Tom Layne Emerges From Padres Bullpen
Tom Layne's major league career is just 157 pitches old. Typically, this is not great news for a 27-year-old. Layne, however, has put together an exemplary 157 pitches to open his time in the big
- Tom Milone and the Scourge of a Weak Four-seamer
was significantly lower than league-average.
Which brings us to the case of Oakland Athletics left-hander, Tom Milone. After starting five games as a 24-year-old for the Nationals last season, Milone
- Q&A: Tom Burgmeier, '80s Bullpen Horse
If you weren’t a baseball fan between 1968 and 1984, you probably aren’t very familiar with Tom Burgmeier. Even if you know the name, chances are you don’t realize he was one of the top workhorse
- Dodgers' Lefty Tom Windle Shows Power Stuff
Tom Windle, LHP, Rancho Cucamonga Quakes (LAD, High-A – most recently viewed 8/27 at Rancho)
Windle was an arm scouts noticed out of the bullpen for U. Minnesota as early as his freshman year
- Tyler Duffey & Tom Wilhelmsen: Deep League Wire
-only formats, with some possible mixed league appeal as well.
Tom Wilhelmsen / RP / Seattle Mariners / 8%
Fernando Rodney was mercifully released by the Mariners the other day, and as the Mariners
- Tom Gorzelanny Is Starting to Reach His Potential
of chances even after their original team gives up. The Pirates have experienced this twice in the past few years, with Oliver Perez and then Tom Gorzelanny. While they made the right call in the case
- Q&A: Tom Glavine, Hall of Fame Pitcher
Tom Glavine is going into the Hall of Fame for a reason. The long-time Atlanta Braves lefthander was a great pitcher. He won over 300 games and was an All-Star 10 times. A pair of Cy Young awards
- A Q&A with Tom Tango: MLB's New Data Guru
Today, MLB Advanced Media is making a pretty exciting announcement, as they've brought in Tom Tango -- who created many of the metrics we use here on FanGraphs, and is probably the closest thing
- Tom Brookens, Future Big League Manager
Many feel Tom Brookens will become the Detroit Tigers manager when Jim Leyland retires. How soon that might happen is anybody’s guess. The 68-year-old Leyland may choose to stick around for awhile
- Keeper League 'Would You Rather...?' -- Danny Espinosa or Neil Walker
Rather...?' Moving around the diamond this week brings us to second base and a pair of young, potentially studly long term options.
Would you rather keep Danny Espinosa or Neil Walker?
At the ages
- Neil Walker Is More Than Just a Ben Zobrist Plan B
of player that any team would like to have.
One day after missing out on Zobrist, though, the Mets did what they perceived to be the next-best thing. They acquired Neil Walker from Pittsburgh
- Daily Notes, Largely Concerning Tom Milone's Change
- Totally Unaltered Tweet: Inside Tom Ricketts
- Tom Kelly in Zubaz vs. A Pitching Machine
- Update: Autographed Tom Milone Hat Still Just $10
"Instant collector's item" is only one of many phrases that describes this autographed Tom Milone hat.
Hey gang, just wanted to let everyone know that the autographed and game-worn Tom Milone hat
- More Baseball Card Swag: Larry Walker Trucker Hat
This is a trucker hat. With a Montreal Expos Larry Walker baseball card printed on the front. From the eBay listing description:
We acquired this rare cap and many others from a direct
- Rest-of-Season Showdown - Ian Kinsler vs. Neil Walker
It’s been a rough year for Ian Kinsler and Neil Walker, in very similar ways. Neither is having trouble getting on base, as both have batting averages in the .270s and on-base percentages around .340
- Daily Notes: Actual Ways in Which Tom Koehler Was the Best
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of the Daily Notes.
1. Actual Ways in Which Tom Koehler Was the Best
2. Today's MLB.TV Free Game
3. Today's Complete Schedule
- Taijuan Walker, and the Rookie Hurlers Who Came Before Him
Madritsch managed in 2004 when he came out of no where to to appear in 15 games (11 starts).
We know Taijuan Walker, who will make his MLB debut against the Houston Astros on Friday night
- Spotted Tonight Alot: Umpire Tom Hallion's Strikeout Call
this body, for example, in which the author is trapped for life.
In nearly related news, 56-year-old umpire Tom Hallion has performed his physically demanding, if not somewhat amusing, strikeout
- Projecting Rockies Call-Ups Cristhian Adames & Tom Murphy
Rockies team: infielder Cristhian Adames and catcher Tom Murphy.
Let's start with 24-year-old Cristhian Adames, who's a good bit closer to being ready for the big leagues than
- Another Look at Tom Glavine’s Generous Strike Zone
Jeff Sullivan recently suggested that despite his reputation Tom Glavine did not pitch to a significantly more generous strike zone. Sullivan points out Glavine did not get significantly more called
- Jason Kipnis, Michael Taylor, Tom Milone: Mining the Minors
Tom Milone, SP
Current Level: Triple-A
Statistics: 8-5 W-L; 3.02 ERA; 0.96 WHIP; 113:8 K:BB over 110 1/3 IPs
40-man roster: No
Opportunity Rating: 6
Talent Rating: 7