- FanGraphs Baseball - https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs -

FanGraphs+ Player-Profile Game: Question #5

Play the player-profile game every day this week at 1:00pm ET. We’re giving away a free annual subscription to FanGraphs+ to the first reader who guesses correctly the identity of that day’s mystery player. (Limit one copy per customer).

As the absurdly coiffed Eno Sarris announced on Monday, the newest iteration of FanGraphs+ is now available in exchange for your hard-earned money — and any other kind of money, too.

As in recent years, we’re celebrating this important Moment in History by way of the player-profile game.

Said game is easy: the author offers the text of an actual player profile from the newest iteration of FG+, being careful to omit any proper names that might reveal the identity of the player in question. The reader, in turn, attempts to identify the player using only the details provided in the profile.

First reader to guess correctly (in the comments section below) gets a free annual subscription to FanGraphs+, worth roughly the equivalent of Alec Baldwin’s watch in Glengarry Glen Ross.

Today’s entry comes to us by way of the classy, invincible author himself. (Note: a clue will be provided, if necessary, after 50 wrong responses.)

Who is it?

Last season, [THIS PLAYER] started about 75% of his games with Double-A [TEAM NAME] at shortstop up until July 6th, and then only about 10% of them from that date forward (with the remaining 90% coming at second base). The significance of that date? It marks the debut of the [PARENT TEAM’S] other, more celebrated, shortstop prospect with that same club. [THAT SECOND PROSPECT] is impressive, indeed. [THIS FIRST GUY] isn’t chopped liver, however, or any other sort of chopped bovine organ. After a promising 2012 season as just a 20-year-old at High-A, [THIS PLAYER] produced another fine season in 2013, combining power, speed, and some control of the strike zone. The presence of [THAT SECOND PROSPECT] — along with [A THIRD GUY] in the majors and then a couple of promising third-base prospects — conspires to create something less than a clear path to the parent club. [THIS PLAYER] has demonstrated promise on his own accord, however.

Click here to become the best you possible/subscribe to FanGraphs+.