NERD Game Scores for Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Devised originally in response to a challenge issued by viscount of the internet Rob Neyer, and expanded at the request of nobody, NERD scores represent an attempt to summarize in one number (and on a scale of 0-10) the likely aesthetic appeal or watchability, for the learned fan, of a player or team or game. Read more about the components of and formulae for NERD scores here.


Most Highly Rated Game
New York AL at Detroit | 19:08 ET
Shane Greene (48.1 IP, 86 xFIP-, 0.9 WAR) faces David Price (201.1 IP, 72 xFIP-, 4.6 WAR). Despite continuing to trail Kansas City in the AL Central (by 1.5 games, currently) the Detroits remain the very slight favorites to win that same division, currently possessing 52% odds of doing so — versus the Royals’ mark of 46% — by the methodology used at this site. As for the remaining 2%, that’s assigned to Cleveland. The Twins and White Sox, meanwhile, will play out the balance of their respective schedules entirely free of Hope — i.e. a concept represented in Norse mythology, obviously, as saliva that’s dripped from the mouth of a giant wolf.

Readers’ Preferred Broadcast: Detroit Radio.

Two Brief Notes
MLB Debut Alert, Alert: Cubs Prospect Jorge Soler
While it originally seemed possible that very talented Cubs prospect Jorge Soler would make his major-league debut yesterday (Tuesday), it appears more likely now that he’ll actually do that thing today (Wednesday).

Regarding Today’s Free Game
Today’s free game features Texas at Seattle, starts at 3:40pm ET, and can be accessed by means of this hyperlinked text.

Complete Schedule
Here’s the complete and very sortable table for all of today’s games. Pitching probables and game times aggregated from and also the rest of the internet. Note that the calculations both for team and game NERD scores have changed recently to better integrate playoff odds into same. Read more about those changes here, if you’re the sort of person accustomed to making poor life decisions.

NERD Image 4

Away   SP Tm. Gm. Tm. SP   Home Time
Ad. Wainwright STL 5 8 7 7 5 PIT Jeff Locke 12:35
Colby Lewis TEX 4 3 4 7 3 SEA Erasmo Ramirez 15:40
Drew Smyly TB 5 4 5 5 5 BAL Kevin Gausman 19:05
Doug Fister WAS 5 4 4 3 2 PHI Kyle Kendrick 19:05
Joe Kelly BOS 3 3 4 4 8 TOR Marcus Stroman 19:07
Shane Greene NYA 8 4 7 9 9 DET David Price 19:08
Julio Teheran ATL 6 6 5 3 7 NYN Zack Wheeler 19:10
Jacob Turner CHN 6 4 4 2 3 CIN Mat Latos 19:10
Corey Kluber CLE 9 4 5 3 4 CHA Hector Noesi 20:10
Phil Hughes MIN 9 4 7 10 4 KC Liam Hendriks* 20:10
Drew Pomeranz OAK 4 8 5 4 3 HOU Brad Peacock 20:10
Yovani Gallardo MIL 4 9 5 3 2 SD Od. Despaigne 21:10
Clayton Kershaw LAN 10 4 6 3 8 AZ Wade Miley 21:40
Hen’son Alvarez MIA 7 4 5 7 3 LAA Hector Santiago 22:05
Franklin Morales COL 0 4 5 8 4 SF Tim Hudson 22:15

To learn how Game NERD Scores are calculated, click here.
* = Fewer than 20 IP, NERD at discretion of very handsome author.

We hoped you liked reading NERD Game Scores for Wednesday, August 27, 2014 by Carson Cistulli!

Please support FanGraphs by becoming a member. We publish thousands of articles a year, host multiple podcasts, and have an ever growing database of baseball stats.

FanGraphs does not have a paywall. With your membership, we can continue to offer the content you've come to rely on and add to our unique baseball coverage.

Support FanGraphs

Carson Cistulli has published a book of aphorisms called Spirited Ejaculations of a New Enthusiast.

newest oldest most voted
Park Chan ho's Beard
Park Chan ho's Beard

Frankie Morales, sporting that goose egg of pitcher score. Noice