- The Brewers, Will Smith, and a Breakthrough
of Smith's progress as a young lefty.
To address the Kansas City side first: the front office is still at work, but for now, the outfield looks like Aoki, Alex Gordon, and Lorenzo Cain. What Aoki
- A Brief Note about Seth Smith
The Padres didn't need Seth Smith, and traded him to the Mariners. The Mariners are getting themselves a nice little hitter, especially against right-handed pitching. Jeff will likely have more
- Skyrocket Smith
The Rocket's glare. That's him at top left.
Today is the 145th birthday of Skyrocket Smith, first baseman for the 1888 Louisville Colonels, and namesake of my next-born child. These Colonels
- Greg Smith: Scouting the Pirates Draft
Thanks to an infusion of high-profile prospects into the pipeline, there is a light at the end of tunnel in Pittsburgh. Scouting director Greg Smith has brought some elite talent into the system
- The Fall of the House of Smith
a light upon a matter of EVEN GREATER URGENCY, as well as acute personal interest. I write of the Fall of the House of Smith.
Remember the halcyon days of the late eighties? (Unsettlingly, some
- The Old Curmudgeons Are Right: Baseball Nicknames Useta Be Way Better
-- but this relative paucity only highlights their general absence. Many of the nicknames that break the paradigm are derivative of previous ones: Francisco Rodriguez's "K-Rod" is a takeoff on Alex Rodriguez's A-Rod
- Andrelton and Andruw and Defense and Offense
shortstop ever isn't Honus Wagner or Alex Rodriguez, it's Ozzie Smith, so the offensive bar is comparatively lower. Ozzie took a lot more walks than Andrelton has, but Andrelton has greater power, and his
- FANS vs the Depth Charts: 2016 Pitchers
Charts: 48 IP
This is where I shamelessly quote my own tweet to prove a point:
Source: Astros sign , having mistaken him for Scott Feldman; forgot Feldman was already on team— Alex Chamberlain
- Armando Galarraga's One-Hitter Was Still Rare
there were three no-hitters (A.J. Burnett, Hideo Nomo, and the otherwise-forgotten Bud Smith) and eight one-hitters (Buehrle, Nomo, Mike Mussina, Kerry Wood, Mark Mulder, Jon Lieber, Randy Wolf, and Todd
- San Diego Padres Shortstops: Positional Case Study
by one of the most unfortunate trades in team history. The Padres have never really gotten over trading away Ozzie Smith 30 years ago.
Here is who has manned short for the Friars over the last three
- "Homer at the Bat" Turns 20. I Am So Old.
nice," Jean said on the DVD commentary, "except for one whose name rhymes with Manseco."
The Springfield Nine — Don Mattingly, Steve Sax, Wade Boggs, Ozzie Smith, Jose Canseco, Ken Griffey Jr
- NL Outfield Rankings: March (Preseason)
- Angels' Playing Time Battles: Pitchers
in keeper and dynasty leagues.
The Profoundly Less-Eventful, and Less-Infuriating, Bullpen
It's only a battle for statistical holds in Anaheim -- a battle that Joe Smith won, albeit did
- Arlington Power Struggle: Jon Daniels vs. Nolan Ryan
Daniels more job security: "Ask yourself when the last time a President of Baseball Operations was fired? With the exception of Tal Smith of the Astros (which was about a new owner coming in and putting
- Jon Sciambi on Smarter Broadcasting
as varied as John Sickels, Bill Simmons, and Russ Smith of SpliceToday (who quotes the beloved Craig Calcaterra for cover).
Sciambi's a good broadcaster, and he clearly has his heart in the right place
- If You Vote for Surhoff and Tino, You Have to Vote for Everyone
. And so two of the greatest compiler-closers ever, Lee Smith and John Franco, would deserve your vote as well. (Of course, Smith and Franco's analogue on the other side of the bench may be Lenny
- Rewrite the Balk Rule, Don't Expand It
that famously tripped up Lonnie Smith in the 1991 World Series — to the ancient hidden-ball trick.
This particular move doesn't have a lot of significance in itself. As Boone Logan told a reporter
- Which Pitchers to Start Today 9/29/15
is probably not today. Like Gibson, there's not a lot of upside for Wisler except for the non-zero chance that the Nats sit many of their regulars.
Dan Haren @ Josh Smith
Start Haren if you feel
- NL Outfield Rankings: May
Kike "KikÃ©" Hernandez
- Ng Disappointed at Lack of Women in MLB
played major or minor league baseball -- two seemingly insurmountable black marks in the old boys' club that used to constitute the GM community. Then youth took control. Randy Smith was made GM
- NL Outfield Rankings: June
to stone. Had he been healthy all year, he could have threatened to lead the league in steals. And he typically hits for a high average. Be patient.
- Center Fielders on the Veterans Committee Bubble
alone that of the two best center fielders not currently in the Hall of Fame, Jimmy Wynn and Reggie Smith.
Of course, the trouble for Beltran is likely to be similar. Every year, the ballot gets more
- The First Four Red Sox Championships in Boston
not the strongest team of the decade. Their pitching staff was led by Jeff Pfeffer, Larry Cheney, and Sherry Smith, all of whom had fine careers but none of whom were extraordinary; the fourth pitcher was Rube
- 2010 MLB Draft Selections
that drafts him must be ready to refine his arm. (Bryan Smith)
3. Baltimore Orioles - Manny Machado | SS | Florida HS
Probably the best Miami-area high school prospect since Alex Rodriguez
- Building a Farm: American League Central
- ALCS Game 1 Review: Texas
this season (compared to the 4.1 mark by Wilson), walked both the patient hitters.
Out came Oliver, and in came sidearmer Darren O’Day, with the one batter responsibility of retiring Alex Rodriguez
- Building a Farm: National League West
- First Round History: Shortstops
: I think this number will rise by at least two before Kelly Johnson and B.J. Upton finish their careers). Here are all 23 players:
Name WAR From
Alex Rodriguez 105.2
- Wait Til Next Year: 2011 Draft Preview - Hitters
; Casey McElroy, SS, San Diego; Taylor Motter, SS, Coastal Carolina; Austin Nola, SS, LSU; Joe Panik, SS/3B, St. John's; Tyler Rahmatulla, 2B, UCLA; K.C. Serna, SS, Oregon; Adam Smith, SS, Texas A&M
- Building a Farm: American League East
- The Guys Besides Yunel
While it's fun to evaluate Alex Gonzalez vs. Yunel Escobar in a vacuum -- and, inevitably, come out favoring Escobar -- there were three minor league players involved in today's Blue Jays-Braves
- 2011 Draft Summer College Notes
Player of the Year, was coming off a spring where he hit .394/.530/.801, securing his place as college baseball's most well-rounded offensive prospect since, at least, Alex Gordon.
This is the second
- Mike Minor's Up and Down Debut
people made to Jeremy Sowers would have once been a compliment, Minor seemed more like a late first round pick than someone that should be drafted ahead of Aaron Crow, Alex White, or Kyle Gibson
- 2010 Draft Review: AL Central
that gave seven figures to four players, and at least a quarter million to four others. There's quite a bit of variety in that group, with two million dollar prep hitters (Tony Wolters, Alex Lavisky
- Building the Farm: American League West
- Organizational Rankings: Future Talent - Kansas City
for a successful future. Top ten picks yield prospects, and while neither Alex Gordon or Mike Moustakas or Eric Hosmer have yet had the success for which they were projected, each still harbors reasons
- The Next First Round Shortstops
entering the organization. In 22 years, we have, I think, eight players that I think will go down as elite draft picks: Alex Rodriguez, Chipper Jones, Derek Jeter, Nomar Garciaparra, Chuck Knoblauch
- Houston Astros Must-Follow Prospects
18 batters in 140 innings at 19, but most other pitchers that reached the Majors at 20 were considerably more wild in the minor leagues. I think the best example might be Alex Fernandez, who walked 3.9
- Organizational Rankings: Future Talent - Detroit
column for his team-controlled seasons is projecting too optimistically.
Jackson will be joined as a rookie on this roster by both Scott Sizemore and Alex Avila, middle-round college guys with low
- Organizational Rankings: Future Talent - Cleveland
minor league arms include the names I've mentioned here, but also: Alex White, T.J. McFarland, Jess Todd, Clayton Cook, Hector Rondon, Chris Jones, Steven Wright and others.
All in all, Cleveland
- What We Learned from MiLB: Week One
in Cleveland. Through 7 games, this squad has struck out a professional baseball leading 76 batters (10.86 K/9) en route to a sparkling 1.86 ERA.
Last season's top draft pick, Alex White, is there, and struck
- Drafting the Third Plus Pitch
, in the Major Leagues first. A win today is cheaper than it's going to be next year (in theory), and Leake already has 1.6 WAR in 11 starts. This year, many have compared Ohio State RHP Alex Wimmers
- Dreamweaving the Draft
They'll be hoping for production that looks like: No one could rightfully be hoping for Alex Rodriguez production, but how about Matt Williams? Same height, third overall pick, started at shortstop
- Wait Til Next Year: Draft '11 Preview - Pitchers
to the 5-11 build and lack of a third pitch, though, some have Gray earmarked for the bullpen ... No one will beat Kentucky's Alex "Bubba" Meyer (4.28 FIP) in the size department, weighing
- The 20-80 Scale, SABR Style
a bigger sample.
- Building a Farm: Top Prospects
- April Draft Report
I watched Ohio State RHP Alex Wimmers pitch against Northwestern.
Wimmers faced Northwestern after a week off in his sixth start of the season. He pitched 7 innings, struck out a season-low
- Good Developments on the KC farm
will always be one area that Alex Gordon holds the advantage, Moustakas is quickly closing the gap in all the other areas of the game.
When the Royals minor league season began with the surprise
- Alternate Reality: Need-Based Mock Draft
a weakness. But while I've praised the depth of pitchers in the organization, a lot of them are guys that might end up as relievers: Justin Masterson, Nick Hagadone, Alex White and others. You can
- MLB Draft: A Recent History of Criticism
, it’s not as if his peers are particularly outpacing him.
Atlanta Braves select Mike Minor, lhp, Vanderbilt (Seventh Overall)
We wondered why he went before: Mike Leake, Aaron Crow, Alex White
- Futures Game Preview: The World Pitchers
and a plus (or plus-plus) changeup.
Alex Torres | LHP | Age 22 | Tampa Bay Rays | Double-A (Southern)
29.9 K% | 12.7 BB% | 0.4 HR/9 | 1.67 GO/AO
It took an injury to get Torres to the Futures Game
- The Best of the Futures Game
all day. By my game notes, the only two I can say now were Jeremy Hellickson threw an okay one in the first, and Alex Torres trusted his a bit in the third. So in a game dominated by fastballs, a good
- The Midwest Wasteland
seasons in the 2000's, it's an uninspiring group, names like Marcus Lemon, Vince Rooi, Alex Romero, Gorkys Hernandez, and generously (and serendipitously), Felix Pie.
Owings had a pretty small sample
- Futures Game Preview: The World Hitters
trade in a deadline deal.
Alex Liddi | 1B/3B | Seattle Mariners | Age 21 | Double-A (Southern)
.290 AVG / .359 OBP / .467 SLG | 24 BB / 64 K | 288 PA
After a .345/.411/.594 season in the bizarro
- Building a Farm: National League Central
- Building a Farm: National League East
- Alex Chamberlain's 10 Bold Predictions
"Soler Panels" in a thinly-veiled attempt to cater to environmentalists.
This is a legitimate prediction.
10. Somehow, some way, Alex Guerrero hits 15 home runs.
He's a man without a position
- Revisiting Alex Chamberlain's Bold Predictions
9. Wrigley Field installs “Soler Panels” in a thinly-veiled attempt to cater to environmentalists.
10. Somehow, some way, Alex Guerrero hits 15
- Mike Morse and Seth Smith: Outfield Help on Your Waiver Wire
one of them. Whether it's to replace an injured Matt Holliday for a few games or a slumping Alex Rios for a couple of weeks, both of these guys can contribute, atleast for the short run.
- Alex Liddi and the Greatest European Players Ever
Yesterday, Alex Liddi hit a grand slam, which the AP noted was "the first major league grand slam by an Italian-born player in half-century." That actually understates the true rarity of Liddi's
- Reviewing Alex Chamberlain's 2015 Bold Predictions
9. Wrigley Field installs "Soler Panels" in a thinly-veiled attempt to cater to environmentalists.
There's always next year.
1.5 for 9
10. Somehow, some way, Alex Guerrero
- Sunday Notes: Tal Smith, Scouting, Padres, Orioles, Cloninger, more
No one hacked into the Houston Astros database 40 years ago. Had that been possible, they could have gleaned valuable information by doing so. Tal Smith is the reason why.
Smith was ahead of his
- Alex Chamberlain's 10 Bold Predictions for 2016
- Field of Streams: Episode 151 – Live With Alex Chamberlain
Episode 151 - Live With Alex Chamberlain
The latest episode of “Field of Streams” is live!
In this episode, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson are joined by Alex Chamberlain in a live recording
- Joe Nathan & Matt Capps Enter Potential Walk Years
-handed prospects Billy Bullock and Anthony Slama could join him. Alex Burnett, still just 23, was a key contributor for the Twins in the first half of 2010 and Jeff Manship reduced his walks last
- A Look Ahead: The Braves And Free Agency
This is the first of a series of guest posts that we'll be publishing from Ben Nicholson-Smith, one of the lead writers for MLB Trade Rumors. The guys over at MLBTR have an interesting perspective
- The Next Crop of $100 Million Players
Ben Nicholson-Smith is a staff member of MLBTradeRumors.com. This is the second in a series of guests posts he will be writing for FanGraphs, which will appear on Mondays.
It won’t surprise anyone
- Return to the Valley of the Dolls
WILLIE MAYS DOLL
RARE Honus Wagner Baseball Composition Portrait Figure / Doll - Huge 32"
Roger Maris Bobbing Nodder Head 1961 mini
Barbie Baseball KEN Mariner's Seattle Alex
- New Fantasy Baseball Web Site
"Megatalented young shortstops Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Alex Gonzalez and Benji Gil are maturing before their Roto owners' eyes."
He may not have as many wins as some -- but according to the sophisticated
- Royals Place DeJesus on DL; Recall Alex Gordon
Kansas City Royals placed OF David DeJesus (thumb) on the 15-day DL; Recalled OF Alex Gordon from Triple-A Omaha.
DeJesus sprained his right thumb trying to make a catch in center field on what
- The Cheeseboard
. The simple answer is just a sort away: Jose Bautista, with an FBv of 92.5. There are no fewer than four Yankees in the top eight, led by Alex Rodriguez, who has faced heaters this year averaging
- The Boys of Summer
in love with Pat Burrell.' - from Home Runs and Western Suns by 2theletter
'Derek is looking at him, searching for some sort of reaction on his face, but Alex is giving away nothing. So Alex smiles
- Just Keep Smiling: A Francoeurspective
God, I love horsing around with my teammates!!! These guys are AMAZEBALLS!! Melky?? What a name! Haha
Stop that Alex! You know that's my tickle spot!! Haha, this is SO FUN
- Chinese Postgame Quotes: 5/30 Edition
Friday." - Manny Acta
"Cleveland and Baltimore are above their differences, we began to play a little better this road trip is a positive." - Alex Gordon
"This just shows that our attack, now
- Dallas Braden Attacks Alex Rodriguez Again. Is Baseball's "Code" Really Still Relevant?
Every time Alex Rodriguez does anything -- poses in Details Magazine, slaps a ball out of a glove, shouts to distract a fielder from a pop-up, admits to taking banned drugs, runs across the pitcher's
- The Overlooked Seth Smith
An apology is due here, and I'm sorry. I whiffed on Seth Smith in my American League outfield rankings, even though those are mostly for 5x5 formats. I nearly blanked on him in my home league as I
- Free Seth Smith
Yesterday, we talked about Troy Tulowitzki powering the Rockies resurgence in June. While he's the main reason, he's not the only cog in the Colorado offense having a good month. Seth Smith
- Seth Smith Heads West
. Just ask Vinny Castilla or Dante Bichette. Unfortunately for Seth Smith he’ll no longer have that luxury as he’s now a member of the Oakland A’s.
Transitioning from Coors’ Field to the Oakland
- Smith and Damon: Waiver Wire
With the fantasy playoffs nigh, here is a pair of outfielders who can help patch injury-induced holes in your lineup.
Seth Smith (Yahoo: 32 percent owned, ESPN: 53 percent owned)
- Lee Smith and the Hall of Fame
Yes, I admit it. That's a pretty neutral headline. Doesn't tell you whether I think Lee Smith is worthy of the Hall of Fame.
Because I don't really know.
Smith appears to be more qualified than
- New Closer: Will Smith
With the departure of Francisco Rodriguez, the Milwaukee closer role is Will Smith’s to lose. Smith took big steps last season improving his K%, BB%, ERA (or FIP, if that’s more your cup of tea
- Eveland and Smith Paying Dividends
it was time to rebuild and sent Haren to the desert for six prospects: Dana Eveland, Carlos Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, Gregory Smith, Aaron Cunningham, and Chris Carter. Many had only heard of Eveland
- Quick Thoughts on Iwakuma and Smith
If you're content to stash Iwakuma on the DL for a few weeks at the beginning of the season, he could be a nice injury-sleeper on draft day.
LHP Will Smith, Milwaukee Brewers
- Why Bryan Smith Writes
be sharing their responses in these electronic pages.
What follows is the product of a lightly edited email correspondence with Bryan Smith. In addition to being a bona fide prospect maven, Smith
- Adam Smith Discusses Baseball
“Let’s start with pins,” Adam Smith says.
"You want pins? The little metal things? Cost a couple of cents each? Sure. But let’s say you can’t go to the store. Let’s say there is no store, so
- An Etherview with Sean "CHONE" Smith
If you read FanGraphs, you're probably familiar with Sean Smith's work. Mr. Smith is the progenitor of the CHONE projection system, hosted annually here at FanGraphs and also at his own website
- Liriano and Smith: Waiver Wire
Seth Smith (ESPN: 10 percent owned; Yahoo!: 7 percent owned)
It makes complete sense for a hitter who leaves Colorado for the spacious grounds in Oakland to have a higher OPS after he lands, right
- Introducing to NotGraphs: Mississippi Matt Smith
Please note, for your records, that Mississippi Matt Smith is the newest contributor to NotGraphs and submitted his first, uh, submission to our electronic pages earlier today.
- Alex Gordon is...
It's like a mad lib! Alex Gordon is... sexy? Misunderstood? Pretty good with a chance of more? Not as good as last year? Better than this year? Let's try something else. Let's try to answer
- The ALEX RIOShootthat'sagiantpastramisandwich
and will not collapse under the weight of their fans.
I propose a few new Rangers-player-themed concessions to add to the menu:
1. The ALEX RIOShootthat'sagiantpastramisandwich, a two-foot-long pastrami sandwich
- Burch Smith and the Problem of Holding Velocity
Right-hander Burch Smith has been traded from San Diego to Tampa Bay. "Will he start or not?" is a question a person might reasonably ask about that. What follows is an attempt to answer the question
- Seth Smith's Platoon Split as a Crisitunity
Despite the prestige of being 2011's Most Average Player, Colorado Rockies outfielder Seth Smith has been the subject of trade rumors since the end of the season. Trading Smith might be a good idea
- Oakland Finishes Outfield With Seth Smith
It seemed like only a matter of time until Seth Smith was shipped out of Colorado. The Rockies have depth in the outfield and the demand for a player of Smith's caliber was there. A suitor finally
- Eulogizing the Departed: Bill Smith Fired
The first domino has fallen following a cataclysmic 2011 season in Twins Territory, as General Manager Bill Smith was dismissed from the position on Monday. Philosophical differences were cited
- Ozzie Smith Did Something the Best
-- suggest that the character is based, at least in part, on Ozzie Smith.
Because his peak ended before I was really aware of him, I never got a chance to see Smith with any frequency. But his
- Q&A: Seth Smith, Evolution of an Approach
Seth Smith continues to mature as a hitter. Despite a recent cool stretch, the 30-year-old Oakland A’s outfielder is off to a .283/.366/.455 start. A career year may be in the offing, as well
- Is Something Wrong With Ryan Rowland-Smith?
-Smith were healthy and prepared to start.
What a difference forty days can make. Doug Fister and Jason Vargas have been among the few pleasant surprises in Seattle this season, while RRS has seemingly
- Scheming For Relief: Osuna, Baez and Smith
batters to just one hit, while striking out three and notching two holds.
Carson Smith | Seattle Mariners | 1% (Y!), .2% (E)
Smith is a hard throwing, lanky, right-hander that has more than 40
- ALCS Game 3 PreGame Chat
Bryan Smith will be around to talk about the playoffs tonight, starting at 5 pm. ALCS PreGame Chat
- Covert Colorado OF, Pt. 2: Seth Smith
time for the Rox: Ryan Spilborghs and Seth Smith.
While neither comes with the championship-caliber upside of a Holliday nor the scouting pedigree of a Fowler, Spilborghs and Smith could provide
- Seth Smith Would Be Great Fit for Mariners
remaining $105 million on his contract...), the San Diego Padres find themselves with an opportunity to move 2014 right fielder Seth Smith. Kemp's days as an everyday center fielder have long passed
- Trade Fallout: Greg Smith Reluctantly Heads to the Rockies
Just like today's other Trade Fallout subject, Carlos Gonzalez, Gregory Smith has also been involved in two high-profile trades over the past two off seasons. Popped in the 6th round out of LSU
- The Eyes Have It: Seth Smith's Laser Show
Seth Smith is having the best year of his career at the plate. He has slowed down during the second half of the season after a monster first half, but his overall line is still quite good. These days
- Braves Add Speedy Mallex Smith to Their Lineup
In this week's third unexpected outfield prospect callup, the Atlanta Braves summoned speedy outfielder Mallex Smith from Triple-A to replace the injured Ender Inciarte. Smith's been on a tear lately
- Alex Rodriguez News Summary
Alex Rodriguez is probably the most despised player in baseball history. Rodriguez' contract is considered among the worst in baseball. Alex Rodriguez has vehemently denied reports he
- Joe Smith: Boring Name, Decent Reliever
Joe Smith, who has long contended with Scott Baker and Jim Johnson for The Most Boring Name in Baseball, reportedly signed a three-year, $15.75 million deal with the Angels over the weekend
- Padres Continue To Be Weird, Extend Seth Smith
active sellers in July. But despite all this, the Padres are apparently not done being weird.
Today, the Padres signed Seth Smith to a two year, $13 million contract extension, and it's very
- FanGraphs Audio: Bryan Smith on Prospects, Prospect Writing
Just 26, Bryan Smith has written about prospects off and on (and off and on) for about a decade. He's also the guest on this edition of FanGraphs Audio.
Don't hesitate to direct pod
- FanGraphs Audio: Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet
Ben Nicholson-Smith is a former senior writer at MLB Trade Rumors and a current editor Sportsnet. He's also the guest on this edition of FanGraphs Audio.
Don't hesitate to direct pod
- New Hats For Alex Torres
Alex Torres-- who I should have protected on my Scoresheet team!-- over the weekend became the first pitcher to wear a padded, protective, giant, silly-looking hat on the mound. Hats off
- Seth Smith is a Must Own in Daily Formats
Obviously there are a variety of fantasy leagues out there, and while it is not necessarily the most popular among hardcore fantasy fans, the daily leagues do exist and Seth Smith is a guy
- The Secret World of Alex Cobb
No, Alex Cobb was never involved in a chemical spill, doused in a secret formula and thus given special powers, however that doesn't stop him from being just as entertaining to watch as an old school
- Orlando Cabrera Says No Mas
As a low-OBP, glove-first shortstop with a bit of pop, Cabrera's career value was somewhere in between the Alex Gonzalezes (retired Alex S. and still-active Alex S.) and Jose Valentin
- Prospect Watch: Alex Gordon
, but there's no denying his production. Alex Gordon, the Royals former third baseman, has put together a .377/.515/.688 line in about 100 plate appearances with the O-Royals.
We've already chronicled the demotion
- Alex Rodriguez and Friends
If you have not looked at Alex Rodriguez's Facebook page recently, a) why the devil not?, and b) you may not have seen this photograph, taken on a recent trip to the Dominican Republic, that features
- Investment Opportunities for Alex Gordon
Alex Gordon says he will pick up his $13.25 million player option for 2016, delaying free agency for a year and, assuming he plays well next year, taking a risk that he'll decline or get
- Alex Gonzalez's Hot Start
Signed to a one-year contract with a team option for 2011 by the Blue Jays this offseason, Alex Gonzalez did not attract much attention on the free agent market after being cut loose by the Red Sox
- Don't Suspend A-Rod if He Didn't Break the Law
UPDATE: It appears that MLB agrees.
Every so often, like most baseball writers, I look at myself in the mirror and ask myself an important question: Why am I not writing about Alex Rodriguez
- These Days, The Waiting Game Doesn't Pay Off
We're pleased to welcome another new writer to the fold - Alex Remington. He'll be holding down the fort every Thursday around here. Welcome, Alex.
Greetings to all! I'm Alex Remington. You may
- Scheming For Relief: Betances, Warren, Smith and Withrow
Will Smith | Brewers | 2%
In eight appearances (7 IP), the former Royals middle reliever owns a 0.00 ERA (2.62 xFIP) with a 1.14 WHIP, a 32.1% K% and a 17.9% BB%. Additionally, Smith picked up his first
- The Worst Contract Extensions in History
. Position players have received the other 21, and of those 21 contracts, 11 have been contract extensions, and just 10 have been free agent contracts. (Of the top five contracts in baseball history -- Alex
- 2015 RotoGraphs Staff Picks
Best Sophomore Pitcher
- Daily Notes: The Effects of Burch Smith on the Human Brain
, What One Might Learn
A thing a spectator might learn during the course of this game is what sort of claim Burch Smith might have to a starting role in the future. Despite having posted a 30.3% strikeout
- The Good Alex Rios Reappears
If there was a roller coaster ride named after a baseball hitter, its name would be Alex Rios. The White Sox outfielder has given fantasy owners and projection makers fits trying to make sense of his
- The RotoGraphs x-Stats Omnibus, with Embedded Calculators
should at least consider referencing older iterations of xBABIP for what they think about the importance of a player's speed/baserunning -- as a check on the Statcast data.
Alex Chamberlain's xBABIP
- Is 50 Games Too Weak a PED Punishment?
Alex Sanchez, for example. But they have much more to lose, because a positive test could just about end their career.
(I've always thought it strange that the suspension for steroids is not much
- Should MLB Punish A-Rod Based on News Reports?
nicknamed "BALCO East."
Of course, as Cameron notes, "Rodriguez is going to get the most attention, because he’s Alex Rodriguez." The Yankees are reportedly exploring all avenues to void the last five
- Freshmen Report: Osuna, Sano, Smith, Taylor
to imagine Mauer being bumped from the Twins’ lineup despite his growing irrelevance.
Carson Smith, RHP, Mariners: A mostly unheralded prospect and former eighth round draft pick, Smith has found
- Welcome Back, Alex Wood
news for much of spring training, so it's worth spreading a little optimism. Players have been slowed by injuries left and right, but Alex Wood looks like he could be poised for a major rebound season
- The Daily Grind: Josh Smith, Nova, Peralta
GPP Pitching Strategies
Daily DFS - Smith
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Garcia, Nova, Peralta, Holt
1. GPP Pitching Strategies
On most days, I use
- Baseball's Decelerating Average Salary
moving downward beginning around 1980, and the trend has become even more pronounced since the year 2000. Y2K is a local maximum within the data, the year that the tech bubble burst and Alex Rodriguez
- Change the All-Star Game or Scrap It
on TV makes Alex something, something.") Back before national television contracts and interleague play, the All-Star Game was one of the only times that fans could see the greatest players from
- The Royals Without Alex Gordon
On Wednesday night, Alex Gordon strained a groin muscle chasing a fly ball. If you just adjusted in your seat, I don't blame you -- it sounds painful. He'll be out for eight weeks, which is better
- Did Michael Bourn & Scott Boras Wait Too Long?
Alex Rodriguez12/11/200010 yr$252MRangers
Chan Ho Park1/16/20025 yr$65MRangers
Adrian Beltre12/16/20045 yr$64MMariners
Kevin Millwood12/26/20055 yr$60MRangers
- Leftover Auction Cash: Maybe Not a Bad Thing
his or her strategy, perhaps it did some good.
"So, Alex, how did you in your drafts?" Great, thanks for asking! I love both my teams. Love them. Except I made the same mistake in each draft: I
- 2016 RotoGraphs Staff Picks
- Alex Rodriguez, Born Again
Alex Rodriguez was The Prodigy, a killer shortstop in his teens that did everything. Then he was The Contract, the super star handcuffing a Texas team from being any better just by virtue of his
- A Quick Look at Alex Gordon
Only a few of the major free-agent names remain available as we approach the new year. One of the most intriguing is Alex Gordon. He's not only been an excellent fielder over the course of his career
- Alex Gordon Demoted
prophetic. Marc Hulet will have more on that move tomorrow, but the Royals didn’t stop tinkering with their young players there. Oh no, yesterday they decided to demote Alex Gordon to the minors
- Alex Rodriguez and Power
Alex Rodriguez finally hit his 600th, but his owners have noticed that there was something wonky going on before the race to the benchmark ever started. A look at Jack Moore's piece on the moment
- Chipper Jones Out for the Year with a Torn ACL, Career in Jeopardy; Just How Good Was He?
Created Above Average. Chipper is 37th in all-time WAR, and sixth among third basemen (seventh if you consider Alex Rodriguez a 3B), behind Mike Schmidt, Eddie Mathews, Wade Boggs, Brooks Robinson
- Can John Thorn Finally Erase Abner Doubleday?
... and even Alex Cartwright, with whom he has formed a cordial tandem.")
Thorn's list of credentials, not just on the early history of baseball, is long. He was the senior creative consultant for Ken
- Why Einhorn Jilted the Mets
was like Alex Rodriguez:I got the analogy wrong. Microsoft is not A-Rod. The better analogy is that the best parts of the Microsoft product portfolio, particularly the dominant Windows Office and Enterprise
- MLB Correctly Realizes That Beer Ban is "Asinine"
they successfully employed after the allegations that Alex Rodriguez participated in illegal high-stakes poker games. Here's the rough chronology: the Boston Globe article about the Red Sox appeared
- Why Are the Yankees Cheap: Savvy or Remorse?
precedent to combat overspending. But austerity programs don't work when you scrimp on efficient programs that do work; they work when you cut the fat. As long as Mark Teixeira, A.J. Burnett, Alex Rodriguez
- Modeling Salary Arbitration: Introduction
This post is part of an ongoing arbitration research project and is coauthored by Alex Chamberlain and Sean Dolinar.
Feb. 25: 2015 MLB Arbitration Visualized
* * *
Sean and I share a mutual
- Reasserting My Love for Three Unowned NL Outfielders
makes his annual trip to the disabled list. The names who follow, if they're not playing every day, are at least seeing more than one at-bat every two games.
Alex Guerrero, LAD (10% Yahoo!, 5.2% ESPN
- The Daily Grind: Wacha, Whitley, Buchholz
are some of my favorites.
Carlos Santana vs. Phil Hughes
Alex Rodriguez vs. Wei-Yin Chen
Jose Bautista vs. Joe Kelly
Oswaldo Arcia vs. Bruce Chen
Denard Span vs. Julio Teheran
- NL Outfield Tiered Rankings: June
I love Guerrero as much as the next guy -- he
- An Expansion on xISO, Plus 10 Noteworthy Names
The kid's a monster. He has already outdone himself, and it all seems legit.
- 2015 Roto Sigh Young
Only Waino, Stroman and Bailey saw any time on the mound this year, and only the former two made
- 2015 Roto Overhyped Pitcher
to capture his early-career success.
4. Alex Wood, ATL/LAD
26th ADP, 73rd EOS
Like Teheran -- aside from being a Brave at one point -- Wood parlayed a solid 2013 debut to an even better 2014
- Alex Gordon Demoted
A week ago, the Brewers seemingly played the service time system to postpone J.J. Hardy’s free agency by a season. Today, the Royals are following suit with Alex Gordon.
Entering this year
- The Slow Decline of Alex Rodriguez
this year, there's one player whose decline is hiding in the background: Alex Rodriguez.
I remember a time when Alex Rodriguez was the yearly consensus first pick in fantasy baseball. People would
- Alex Rios And Problems of Perception
to the effect of “Alex Rios is one of those players whose production will never line up with his numbers.” At first, I was offended. A player produces what he produces, his numbers reflect his
- The Power of Alex Rodriguez
! But! Two days ago Ortiz was preemptively one-upped by Alex Rodriguez. Saturday, Rodriguez hit three homers while he continued his 39-year-plus-long streak of being almost four months older than Ortiz
- ADP Crowdsourcing: Alex Rodriguez
Today’s ADP Crowdsourcing comes from a suggestion by RotoGraphs’ own Mike Axisa. Snaps for Mike.
Alex Rodriguez’s 2010 had some ups, but it also had more than it’s fair share of downs. He started
- Commenters Are $#!%ing Evil! (And Other Respectful Thoughts)
article, "NHL Winter Classic: I’m Glad Selig Didn’t Think of That"
"Alex, your sabermetrical analysis continues to amaze me. Keep up the good job of destroying FanGraphs with this political bullshit
- Team Preview: Atlanta Braves
3. 3B Chipper Jones^ (38 years old)
4. 2B Dan Uggla (30 years old)
5. C Brian McCann* (27 years old)
6. SS Alex Gonzalez (34 years old)
7. 1B Freddie Freeman* (21 years old)
8. CF Nate McLouth
- Leyland: Interleague Play Unfair With No DH
of letting their pitchers rest and using the DH when they come here, and we gotta use guys six straight days without Victor Martinez or Alex Avila or somebody. That's ridiculous. Totally ridiculous
- World Baseball Classic All-Time Records
2006, 2009, 2013
- Jerry Jr. and The Amazing Hairstons
in his 30s, the 2009 World Championship and his brilliant fill-in play for the Reds in 2008. As Reds Reporter explains, "Due to injuries to Alex Gonzalez, Jeff Keppinger, and Jolbert Cabrera
- Hector Olivera Will Be An OK 2B Option
tens of millions of dollars (albeit at the expense of Alex Guerrero, Olivera's fellow countryman). Adding Olivera to the mix would further complicate the situation, but that's a non-issue to the Dodgers
- Hitter xISO: June Update
batted ball profile that betrays us, not the outcomes of said batted balls.
Of the incredibly poorly named exactoperformers, only Mookie Betts has lost ground. (Alex Rodriguez has, too, but his ISO
- Chris Archer is the Game's Best Pitcher
so special, Alex? Why are you burying the lede? Great questions all around. Glad you asked.
Archer's strikeout rate, you see, exceeds his walk rate by more than 25 percentage points -- 26.4
- NL Outfield Tiered Rankings: July
Matt Holliday (DL: mid-July?)
- NL Outfield Tiered Rankings: August
he's helpful in a one o' them deep leagues.
My Neighbor Totoro
Wil Myers (DL: late August?)
Scott Van Slyke
Marcell Ozuna (AAA)
- Delino DeShields Jr. Deserves Your Attention
Hamilton (35%), Alex Rios (40%), Daniel Murphy (63%), Jorge Soler (74%), Ryan Zimmerman (75%) ... in re-draft leagues.
- Three Unowned Starters for the Home Stretch
: Alex Wood
Player 2: Raisel Iglesias
Blind Resume #2Owned%IPWLERAWHIPK%BB%BABIPGB%Hard%SwStr%Contact%O-Swing%Player 187%141.2974.131.4720.60%8.60%0.34753.50%27.90%9.40%79.10%30.90%Player
- NL OF: Deep, Deeeeep Finds for Your Playoffs
Scott Van Slyke, the burning pile of cash in the form of Alex Guerrero, the un-nicknamed Chris Heisey and even Ruggiano, it's a wonder how anyone sees any playing time.
Still, Schebler does
- Three Things I Re-Learned in 2015
... for $1. Granted, Pollock's price was suppressed compared to average drafts, but not by much: ESPN pegged him for 41st among all outfielders (behind... wait for it... Alex Rios) at $4.30 and roughly
- 2015 RotoGraphs Staff Picks: A Review
Linkin Park reference), as your winner was drafted 18th on average at his position with an average price tag of zero dollars and zero cents.
Winner: Alex Rodriguez (David Wiers). Thirty-three homers
- Alex Rodriguez: Mass Murderer
I assume the one-armed man is Johnny Damon.
According to Bill Madden of the New York Daily News, Alex Rodriguez “is the Whitey Bulger of baseball, the most wanted criminal in the game’s history
- Alex Gordon: Who Are You?
felt the need for a personal one. So yeah, for you Twitterers reading this, follow me @MikePodhorzer if you dare. I'll try to be entertaining (twittertaining?).
It doesn't feel too long ago that Alex
- New York Mets Second Basemen: Positional Study
: Luis Castillo
2010: Luis Castillo, Ruben Tejada, Alex Cora
2011: Justin Turner, Ruben Tejada, Daniel Murphy, Brad Emaus
2012-2013: Daniel Murphy
That isn't every player who played an inning at 2B
- Why Aren't There More Muslims In Baseball?
Ryan Braun (Jewish); Bryce Harper (Mormon); and Khalil Greene (Baha'i). (For that matter, back in 2009, when he was dating Kate Hudson, Alex Rodriguez considered converting to Buddhism.) So why haven't
- Shoeless Joe Jackson Died 62 Years Ago Today
be seen when Major League Baseball decided to investigate Alex Rodriguez for playing poker in Miami.
Joe Jackson was a brilliant hitter, one of the finest that baseball has ever seen. But it's still
- NL Outfield Tiered Rankings: May
rate (3.8%), and it's not even close. Hitting tons of ground balls but could still flirt with .300. Hope he steals more.
TWILIGHT PRINCESS (I regret playing it on Wii instead of GameCube...)
- How Michael Taylor Compares to His Contemporaries
, Marcell Ozuna, Rusney Castillo, Alex Rios and Shin-Soo Choo.)
If you can stomach the batting average, he may provide another five home runs and 10 stolen bases and counting stats to boot. ZiPS predicts
- Q&A: Ryan Rowland-Smith, Comeback from Fear
From 2007-2009, Ryan Rowland-Smith was an effective pitcher for the Seattle Mariners. The Australian-born southpaw appeared in 88 games and logged an ERA below 4.00 for three years running. His move
- NL Outfield Tiered Rankings: March
Scott Van Slyke / Alex Guerrero / Andre Ethier (LAD)
Carlos Quentin / Will Venable / Cameron Maybin (SDP)
Alcantara is yet another touted Cubs propect with quite a bit of pop
- A Response to a Diatribe Regarding Player Values
specifically as a valuation method. I don't know of any popular methods that aren't non-linear; this one simply best helps underscore my point.)
This weekend, I made a stupid mistake: I marked Alex
- The New Alex Guerrero Problem
Back at the beginning of Spring Training, I wrote a piece here called Trying to Solve the Alex Guerrero Problem. In that piece, I noted that the Dodgers were in a bit of a difficult position
- Alex Rodriguez and the Predictability of October
Alex Rodriguez entered the Yankees ALDS against the Twins with a playoff wOBA of .377 in 170 plate appearances. Certainly an impressive mark, given a league wOBA ranging from .330 to .340
- Alex Gordon's Near Miss
It had not been a good day for Alex Gordon. All spring long we'd heard how the former first-round pick was working towards finally fulfilling his potential. Even manager Ned Yost was singing his
- Alex Avila: Is He For Real?
Tigers backstop Alex Avila. Currently, Avila is sporting a slash line of .279/.346/.529 with 8 home runs and 28 RBI. He's tied for second in HR amongst catchers, leads in RBI production and according
- What to do with Alex Rodriguez?
Thirteenth place. That's where Alex Rodriguez finished among third basemen in my most competitive fantasy league this season. That was behind the likes of Emilio Bonifacio, Jhonny Peralta and Ryan
- Bearish On Alex Gordon
In light of his very nice contract extension, which Brandon Warne covered extensively earlier this week, I figured giving my thoughts on Alex Gordon would be timely.
Gordon was a fantasy MVP
- Alex Wood Looks Good
everywhere, I probably never heard of him. So it should be no surprise to learn that when Alex Wood made his debut in Atlanta, I had no idea who he was. But now I do. And I'm excited.
Maybe I could
- Challenging Alex Rodriguez
Remember Alex Rodriguez? He’s playing baseball again. He’s also just six home runs from passing Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time home run list. Now that we’ve left the frenzied Bonds record
- Alex Wood and Self-Recovery
Plenty of people over the years have questioned Alex Wood's ability to remain a starting pitcher, but what you at least couldn't question, for a time, was how Wood as a starter performed. He
- Alex Gordon in 2012
Bust. Injury-prone. Waste of money. Entering the 2011 season, Alex Gordon was burdened by all of these labels. The Nebraska Cornhusker stud, a Golden Spikes Award winner, number two pick in the '05
- The Curious Case of Alex Guerrero
great numbers but hasn’t seen the same hype or support from analyst and in ways, even his team, that the others have. I’m talking about Alex Guerrero of the Los Angeles Dodgers of course. Technically
- Don't Win Your Mock: Industry Mock Draft Review
(oh, good, another excuse, Alex)), I jumped the gun a bit. He's well-rounded, has alleged power upside, and plays for the Cubs. It could be worse.
5.50: Corey Kluber, SP (40.49)
- The Freshmen Report: Lobstein, Sanchez, Smith, Tomas
sprinkling in extra base hits and free passes.
Carson Smith, RHP, Mariners: Current Mariners closer Fernando Rodney has been successful in nine of 10 attempts but his ERA currently sits at 5.65
- Investigating Alex Sanabia's Pitches
Last night, Alex Sanabia gave up a home run to Domonic Brown in the second inning, and as he was walking back to the mound, the video appears to capture him spitting on the baseball. Sanabia
- Alex Cobb: Approximation of an Ace?
Some fantasy baseball players here and there, sort of, in a way, kind of think that already. But they may not be eager to draft Alex Cobb like one, and they shouldn’t need to do so. In terms
- Alex Wood Is for Real
When Alex Wood broke into the majors in 2013 as a member of the Braves bullpen, there were more questions than answers regarding his long-term outlook. A fastball/changeup lefty, Wood lacked
- Q&A: Reggie Smith, Borderline Hall of Famer
was Reggie Smith. Some might argue that Dwight Evans or Bobby Bonds would be a better call, but Smith certainly has his bona fides. As a seven-time all-star, he accumulated 71.8 WAR between 1966
- 2010 MLB Draft: Not Selected Day 1
doesn't have much of either right now. If he makes the Major Leagues, it will be as a reliever, with his career outcomes varying as wide as Colt Griffin and Jonathan Broxton. (Bryan Smith)
- Alex Anthopoulos and Title Inflation
Yesterday, Alex Anthopolous left the Blue Jays, turning down a contract to remain with the team because, as he said in his conference call, he didn't think it was a good fit anymore.
"I don't know
- Rod Barajas Is Not the Answer to Your Prayers, Omar Minaya
- Harvard Research Study: Baseball Players Are Getting Fatter (But the Study Doesn't Mention Steroids)
- Realignment, Shmealignment? Even if It Won't Float, This Idea Shouldn't Sink
- Cliff Lee's Suspension Is Just Too Much
- They Got Rid of One Measly Off Day, But the Playoffs Still Need to Be Improved
- Organizational Rankings: Current Talent - Atlanta
- Gooble Gobble, Bill Simmons Is Now One of Us
- Should A.J. Pierzynski Be Punished for Lying to an Ump?
- Should Baseball Get Rid of Divisions, Instead of Realignment? Maybe Not.
- Should You Boycott the Diamondbacks?
- Apparently, the Phillies Cheated. So What?
- Airing the Marlins' Dirty Laundry in Public
- Time to Rethink the Balk Rule?
- What Strasburg Means, Redux
- More Egregious Umpiring: Yorvit Torrealba Suspended Three Games
- Firing Fredi Gonzalez
- On Boringness: Soccer vs. Baseball
- Catchers and the MVP
- Remembering Ralph Houk
- No More Mr. November: 2011 World Series Will Be Done in October, Says MLB
- An Unhappy Strasmas
- Roger Clemens Indicted; Steroid Era on Trial
- Nyjer Morgan Wants A Piece of the Marlins. I Don't Blame Him.
- Derek Jeter Cheated. So What?
- Jose Bautista and the Meaning of the Word "Fluke"
- Cito Gaston Retires, Dusty Baker Signs an Extension; There Are Still Too Few African-American Managers
- Is the Steroid Ban Responsible for the "Year of the Pitcher"? No, Say Freakonomics Writers
- TBS Upgrades Postseason Coverage from Chip Caray to Dick Stockton, and Ratings Fall
- Worst of the Worst
- Okay, Time for My Surgery! Heading for the Doctor After Getting Bounced from the Playoffs
- Two More Wild Card Teams? Nip That Idea in the Bud.
- The Real Truth Behind Derek Jeter’s Gold Glove — Revealed!
- “Expanded Playoffs Appear Inevitable"
- Bud Selig and Kennesaw Mountain Landis
- Ryan Theriot: Let the Flamewar Commence!
- NHL Winter Classic: I'm Glad Selig Didn't Think of That