Sort by Date
- Josh Shepardson's Bold Predictions for 2015
, and I'm expecting 12-to-15 homers, 100-plus runs, 25-to-30 stolen bases and an average around .300 -- give or take five points.
4- Josh Harrison ranks out the top 20 third basemen.
- Pitcher Study: Josh Johnson
Is Josh Johnson still an ace?
The 2012 season had some encouraging signs after shoulder injuries cut short potential Cy Young campaigns in 2010 and 2011. Johnson posted a 3.81 ERA and 3.40 FIP
- Is Josh Johnson Back?
destined for an epic crash (click on the link, it's must-watch stuff). Owning Josh Johnson on a couple squads, I've felt a little of both.
Coming off of a serious shoulder injury in 2011, Johnson,28, had
- Josh Johnson's Extension
The Marlins locked up their most talented pitcher on Thursday, as they agreed to terms with 26-year-old SP Josh Johnson on a four-year, 39 million dollar contract. The deal will pay 3.75MM in '10
- The Return of Josh Johnson
Josh Johnson returned to the mound last night for the first time since April 21. The oft-injured 29-year-old (it still surprises me that he’s just 29) impressed against the Giants, throwing seven
- Buying Low on Josh Johnson
It may surprise some, considering this high ERA and low strikeout rate compared to his career average, but Josh Johnson actually has the seventh highest WAR of any pitcher in baseball. Despite having
- Josh Johnson's Curveball
We're happy to welcome Albert Lyu back to the FanGraphs team. His work will again appear regularly here on the site.
Before Josh Johnson was lost for the season with shoulder injuries in May, he
- The Josh Johnson Dilemma
Earlier this year, Jack Moore reviewed Josh Johnson's inability to get hitters out while pitching from the stretch. Johnson and the Jays were very much aware of the situation, but even still, it did
- Josh Johnson Heads to Canada
So as you all no doubt know by now, Josh Johnson was part of the trade of fantasy baseball proportions that is expected to be finalized at some point today. It's time for JJ to start trading in his
- Nothing Fishy About Josh Johnson
Heading into the 2007 season, Florida's Josh Johnson looked like an ace-in-waiting.
As a 22 year-old rookie in 2006, the 6-7 righty posted a 3.99 FIP in 24 starts and seven relief appearances
- Can Josh Johnson Fix The Stretch?
There have been plenty of good signs in Josh Johnson's return from a season-ending shoulder injury this year. His 2.98 FIP is excellent; he's striking out nearly eight batters per nine innings
- Josh Johnson Finding Success in June
The month of June has been very kind to Josh Johnson. In 14.2 innings, the big right-hander owns a 1.84 ERA with impressive peripheral numbers to match: 16 strikeouts, just four walks, and no home
- Josh Johnson's Creative Contract With the Padres
The news is breaking now. It seems that Josh Johnson has gotten $8 million dollars from the Padres to pitch in 2014, according to Jerry Crasnick. By itself, that is an interesting match -- Johnson
- Josh Johnson Earning His Contract
Justin Morneau has the highest WAR in baseball right now, but you probably knew that. Know who is second?
Josh Johnson. With another dominating start last night, the Marlins ace has now thrown
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Josh Johnson
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Josh Johnson.
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat 7/26/16
Allen1:56Brad Johnson: Medium trade imo :)1:57Brad Johnson: A big trade is Nomar Mazara, Kyle Seager, Jake Odorizzi, and Mark Zagunis for Josh Donaldson, Trevor Story, and Aaron Sanchez1:57Toki: 10
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 7/5/16
. i'm 1-2 years from competing, middle of rebuild. Pull the trigger?2:03Brad Johnson: Yes, I like it2:03GP: Is Josh Bell worth adding?2:03Brad Johnson: in the right format, sure2:03Brad Johnson: 12
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 8/23/16
Brad Johnson: I like Josh Reddick :(
Brad Johnson: you see this sometimes with trades, it's an overlooked issue
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 8/30/16
tell you which applies to Leonys4:38Elijabonk Melingproplefoot: Keep one forever: Josh Bell or Jose Abreu? (yes, this question would've sounded absurd at the start of the year)4:38Brad Johnson: Josh
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 5/10
Brad Johnson: No idea. I'm confused.
Josh: I drafted Deshields for steals but am worried about his playing time when Choo returns. Inciarte
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 8/2/16
could do it for less with Moncada, Benintendi, Devers as the headline
Brad Johnson: still need a lot more beyond that
Josh: Better fantasy
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 6/21
:15Brad Johnson: Stuff doesn't really support a strikeout rate above 9,00 K/9.2:15Stephen Strasburg: Would you trade me for Josh Donaldson in 12 team mixed?2:15Brad Johnson: Yea, sure.2:15Giant Steps
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 6/28/16
Syndergaard still be effective while pitching through a bone spur?2:30Brad Johnson: The majority of MLB pitchers have a bone spur in their elbow. I'm told it's a result of pitching while growing2:30Nolan: Josh
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 5/3
Josh: Who is a comp for Trea Turner in the next few years? LeMahieu?
Brad Johnson: non-Coors LeMahieu isn't a bad comp
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 5/24
Hernandez and Conley for his Salazar and McCullers?
Brad Johnson: Yes
Brad Johnson: please and thank you
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 5/17
record of Lucroy
Please Help: Is Josh Tomlin anything more than a streamer?
Brad Johnson: No.
Brad Ausmus' Hoodie
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 8/9/16
Josh: Hard to believe, but Correa has barely been a top-10 SS this year. Does he finish on a high note?
Brad Johnson: your guess is as good as mine
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 7/19/16
:02Sean: Josh Bell sent to the OF as soon as he is demoted - quick turnaround for an injured Polanco or is he just that bad at 1st?2:02Brad Johnson: it's a defense issue2:03Brad Johnson: I wrote about
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 8/16/16
Brad Johnson: I routinely ignore especially bad offers for the max just so the owner in question thinks I might be considering it
Josh: Are Justin
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 4/26/16
Josh: Josh Harrison over Rendon at 3B for the rest of the year?
Brad Johnson: Push or maybe Rendon by a hair
Mark: Does Story
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 9/13/16
Seager locked in as my franchise player and looking to keep 2 of Benintendi, Moncada, Alex Reyes, Musgrove, Josh Bell or Wilson Contreras4:22Brad Johnson: I'll cross Bell, Contreras, and Musgrove off
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 4/19/16
Josh: You're not concerned about Carlos Gomez at all? He doesn't seem like the same guy he was in Milwaukee.
Brad Johnson: Oh, I'm very concerned. He's
- Brad Johnson Baseball Chat -- 4/3/14
looks a lot like Josh Hamilton to me. Except nobody has found the spot where he closes his eyes and misses every time.1:10Brad Johnson: And I'm talking about the Josh Hamilton that hit over .300 with 50
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 4/12/16
Phil: Is it time to think about dropping B. Buxton at this point? 11 k's in 22 AB's!
Brad Johnson: League depth matters. If it's shallow i.e. Josh Reddick types are free
- Josh Reddick: Mr. Replacement
According to Zach Sanders' analysis, Josh Reddick was the fantasy replacement level outfielder of 2013. He was worth 41 cents. Dayan Viciedo was technically closer to zero with a negative 37 cent
- The Probably Top Indication Josh Johnson Is Classical Scholar
The top indication that major-league right-hander Josh Johnson is a classical scholar used to be the paper he wrote on the theme of sal (or "wit") in the work of the Neoteric poets and which
- Best Rotation Ever? Best. Rotation. Ever.
Diamondbacks (22.8%). The year following a World Series title, both Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling fanned 334 and 316 batters, respectively. In the heyday of Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz
- Infield and Saves Help: Bregman and Kintzler
now and worry about finding more when this door closes. When looking at Kintzler's player card, my first thought was "his statistical profile looks kind of like former closer Jim Johnson's." Little
- The Daily Grind: Josh Smith, Nova, Peralta
Tonight, I'm inclined to use one of the ultra-expensive studs.
2. Daily DFS - Smith
I used to work with a Josh Smith. The guy throwing for the Reds tonight is most decidedly not that Josh Smith. He's
- A Josh Johnson Slider You Can Just Keep Watching
All things considered -- or just, like, one thing considered -- Marlins right-hander Josh Johnson had rather a poor game Saturday night (box). He pitched only three innings, for example, but conceded
- Why the Toronto Blue Jays Need to Extend Josh Johnson
In the Marlins deal last November, Josh Johnson was the main headlining piece along with Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle. Then the Blue Jays added R.A. Dickey in December and the starting rotation looked
- James McDonald, Kyle McClellan, Josh Johnson: NL Starting Pitchers
Josh Johnson, Marlins
When Johnson was put on the DL with shoulder problems, it sounded like the Marlins were just being cautious. Now, Johnson isn’t going to be back when he’s eligible
- Josh Shepardson's 10 Bold Predictions
there this year with the off-season addition of Yonder Alonso. Josh Phegley earned a higher defensive grade behind the plate than Vogt last year, and Phegley also bested Vogt in per-game pitch
- Johnson Leads Florida's Rotation
projected them to be worse than the Nationals. Last night Josh Johnson won the game for the Marlins, pitching six innings of four-hit, one-run ball while striking out 6, walking only one and getting seven
- Reviewing Josh Shepardson's 10 Bold Predictions for 2016
- Chris Johnson Heads to Arizona
. When that didn't work, they tried bringing up Josh Bell. Another bust. They ultimately went back to Roberts, but for just a short time as he was soon demoted and traded and the D-Backs went with minor
- No Love For Jim Johnson?
and there, but if they're healthy, they've always seemed to slide back into the job. So why, after 101 saves in the past two season....yes, that's right, 101...does Jim Johnson get no love?
I did a mock draft
- Johnson Leads WAR at Labor Day
, nearly 85% of the way through the season, is Florida Marlins ace Josh Johnson - not Roy Halladay, nor Ubaldo Jimenez, not Cliff Lee, not Felix Hernandez, and not CC Sabathia. Johnson is establishing
- Is Josh Harrison's Approach a Concern?
Pirates infielder Josh Harrison has come a long way this season. At 26 years old, Harrison has emerged as one of the club's key contributors. He'll be relied as such when the team enters
- Don't Bring In the Lefty for Kelly Johnson
three years, and Joey Votto isn't far behind him. What might surprise you is the name that sits in the 34th spot out of the 150 qualified hitters: Kelly Johnson.
At a .382 wOBA against lefties since
- Josh Willingham: Honoring the Hammer
as polio, syphilis and bubonic plague. Attacking one but infecting all, though some more than others. And no other major leaguer over the past decade, among hitters, lost as frequently as Josh
- Promotion: Josh Bell
or something more substantive, Bell's the best position prospect in the system not named Manny Machado. The 23-year-old was acquired from the Los Angeles Dodgers (along with RHP Steve Johnson) last
- Josh Byrnes, A.J. Hinch Fired
When the Diamondbacks extended Josh Byrnes’ contract in February of 2008 through 2015 and included a small stake of team ownership, they probably didn’t envision firing him just two and a half years
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 6/7
Here's the transcript from today's chat!
1:47Brad Johnson: Apologies for the brief delay. People showed up to drill holes in my walls1:47Brad Johnson: Some kind of fire sprinkler maintenance
- Josh Harrison Breakout: Real or Fantasy
Josh Harrison was not on anyone's radar going into last season, yet alone ending up as a top 10 third baseman. The right-hander is now known after hitting .315 with 13 home runs and 18 stolen bases
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 9/20/16
Today's transcript is go. Lots of dynasty and keeper questions.
Brad Johnson: Ahoy there
Brad Johnson: This might be the last chat of the season
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 5/31
Here's the transcript from today's chat.
Brad Johnson: Hey everyone, I'm running just a couple minutes behind. We'll get started soon.
- Did Josh Byrnes Deserve to Be Fired?
of the best front offices in baseball."
Another GM on the D-Backs' change at GM: "Absolutely crazy."
That, essentially, was my reaction, as well, to the news that the Diamondbacks have fired Josh Byrnes
- Should Anyone Trade For Josh Beckett?
from March-June is slightly better than Josh Johnson's .299 wOBA against this year. He was a benefactor of a low-ish BABIP for those three months, but they at least show that this version of Beckett
- Field of Streams: Episode 196 - Live With Brad Johnson
Episode 196 - Live With Brad Johnson
In this live broadcast, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss their upcoming vacations, discussing pitcher options first for once due
- Field of Streams: Episode 156 – Live With Brad Johnson
Episode 156 - Live With Brad Johnson
The latest episode of “Field of Streams” is live!
In this episode, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss picking against Shelby
- Brad Johnson's 10 Bold Predictions
at RotoGraphs, it is customary to list 10 such bold picks; also Eno ordered me to do so.
1. Erik Johnson will be the second best starting pitcher for the White Sox
Johnson has good stuff
- Five Actual Sleepers
season is feasible.
I feel a little dirty even mentioning Johnson. For years, he's served as a sabermetric pariah - an example of an overrated, fringy player. Last season
- Brad Johnson's 10 Bold Predictions
- Brad Johnson's 10 Bold Predictions
- Brad Johnson's 10 Timid Predictions
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 4/5/16
- The Daily Grind: Happ, Anderson, Werth
is number nine. SaberSim also loves left-handed Royals against Josh Tomlin at Progressive Field. I agree. I'm very much a Tomlin fan, but he is homer prone.
5. Tomorrow's Targets - Johnson, Wright, Werth
- Q&A: Kelly Johnson, Sabermetrically Savvy FA
Kelly Johnson may or may not be a Toronto Blue Jay next season, but wherever he ends up, he promises to have a better year with the bat -- regardless of how many times he strikes out. The free-agent
- The Daily Grind: Peavy Conley, Bour, Ketel
, and Syndergaard have the three top projections of the day. Greinke is next best. Shelby Miller and Erik Johnson are ranked sixth and seventh. Miller's strong projection caught me off guard. The Cardinals
- The Daily Grind: 7-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Late: Miguel Gonzalez isn't a bad target if you're trying to coax a home run out of a cheap bat like Yangervis Solarte or Kelly Johnson.
The Indians versus Hector Noesi is one of the top stacking
- Five Actual Young Sleepers
Although he's struggled to a .171/.275/.429 line this spring, Kang will travel north with the Pirates. He'll start the season as a reserve, possibly sharing playing time from Jordy Mercer and Josh
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 23
Sox lineups, but they won't be submitted until well after contests start. Even DraftKings users may not get a chance to react. It's too bad since Cody Anderson at Erik Johnson promises
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 16
the jackpot with Noah Syndergaard, Josh Donaldson, and Tim Anderson. Even Hector Santiago did his part. Congrats! The leaderboard is updated.
Thursdays are FanDuel days. We have a tidy seven game slate
- The Daily Grind: 4-30-14 - Presented by FanDuel
) career. Skills that make them a nightmare for lefties like Brett Oberholtzer.
The Rockies stack is savory against Josh Collmenter. What, you thought I could follow up on the last comment? Nobody
- The Daily Grind: Bullpen Games, Strasburg, Koehler, Wolf
some rest for their fatigued regulars. They did so last night, and Carlos Carrasco tossed a complete game, 15 strikeout one-hitter. Josh Tomlin doesn't have that kind of ceiling, but he could keep
- The Daily Grind: 5-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
many cookies or tipping his pitches, he might give up a couple more home runs at home today.
A game between Kris Johnson and Red Patterson will produce entirely unexpected results. I'm referring
- Top 100 Spring Hitters by OPS
- The Daily Grind: Reader Leagues, Boyd, Straily
of the worst pitchers in the league.
Also consider: David Peralta, Mark Canha, Josh Phegley, Eddie Rosario, Melky Cabrera, Matt Joyce, Kelly Johnson, Gerardo Parra, Preston Tucker
- The Daily Grind: McCullers, Flande, Elias, Paxton
pitcher's duel. The Rockies bullpen does push things back in the M's favor, but it's not like Seattle's pen has performed well.
If you can look past a recent cold stretch, Josh Reddick is a valuable pick
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streamers, and More for April 16
- at least according to SaberSim. This is definitely a chance to stack the high profile offense at a low ownership rate. Orioles versus Lewis, Astros opposite Verlander, and Mets against Josh Tomlin
- Erik Johnson: Late Round Breakout Candidate
After five respectable outings in 2013, Erik Johnson will begin his rookie campaign as a relative unknown in the fantasy world. This season is just his third as a professional and his quick ascension
- What Alex Rodriguez's Suspension Means for the Yankees
Reynolds, Michael Young, or Justin Turner, but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for." The club has been connected with Young and Reynolds. There has also been speculation that Kelly Johnson
- Lessons Learned From a Shallow Linear Weights Draft
trades. After that 5th round pick, the values flattened such that I could draft a couple dozen players and expect the same Points Above Replacement (PAR). Josh Donaldson was actually far and away the top
- The Daily Grind: 4-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
% deposit bonus up to $200. Click here to win your seat ticket.
1. What not to do
Yesterday I was beaten in a tournament by a guy who played Cliff Lee, Chris Johnson, Evan Gattis, and B.J. Upton
- The Daily Grind: Choking, Happ, Ray, Robinson
Johnson (@BaseballATeam) September 26, 2015
On Sunday...well, you know. This is what I get for saying something positive about the guy. He's a fiery competitor, but sometimes that fire gets misdirected
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 8
Brad Johnson Comments About Taillon
The Daily Grind Invitational and Leaderboard
1. Brad Johnson
- The Daily Grind: 5-30-14
In a field of flawed pitchers, Wheeler was a good choice. The Phillies offense has looked pretty sketchy lately, as evidenced by Josh Beckett's no hitter
- The Daily Grind: deGrom, Happ, Miley, Holland
It's a short list today.
Josh Reddick and Marcus Semien v Hisashi Iwakuma
Jonny Gomes v Jorge de la Rosa
Ruben Tejada and Michael Cuddyer v Adam Morgan
3. SaberSim Hi/Lo
Wrong: While I
- The Daily Grind: Owens, Peavy, Gutierrez
in bargain land, you'll find Henry Owens with a $5,900 price tag on FanDuel. The Boston lefty is opposed by Josh Tomlin. He will eventually regress - just maybe not this season. After all, anything can
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 24
to Exploit: A few of these guys are startable under the right conditions. Namely Tomlin, Gsellman, ERod, and Glasnow.
Also consider: Josh Tomlin, Edinson Volquez, Jake Thompson, Robert Gsellman, Eduardo
- The Daily Grind: Tropeano, Eickhoff, Welington, Jankowski
Gonzalez, Mike Foltynewicz, Martin Perez, Josh Tomlin, Brad Hand, Jerome Williams, John Lamb, Yohan Flande
3. GB / FB Splits
The following hitters are recommended based on the works of Shane
- Two Expert Drafts, Minimal Starting Pitching
and draft strategies, I'm only aiming to give you a look under the hood. I hope you find something actionable.
The FOX league includes writers like Howard Bender, a different Brad Johnson
- The Daily Grind: 4-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
a decent pitcher.
The Rays stack is fantastic tonight against Erik Johnson in Chicago. The weather conditions aren't perfect, but they're good enough for some long balls.
The Brewers also have
- The Daily Grind: 5-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Pitchers to Start: Unless Jesse Chavez is still floating around your waiver wire, tomorrow is short on safe streaming options.
Josh Tomlin might be viable if you like guys without any upside and plenty
- The Daily Grind: 5-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
? A cursory search turned up no obvious candidates aside from moving Masterson up a day. This is made necessary because Josh Tomlin was called upon in extra innings yesterday. Whoever gets the nod
- The Daily Grind: 5-24-14 - Presented by FanDuel
smell test. But how does he taste (phrasing)? The drawback to Bauer is his tendency towards fly balls. Camden Yards can be rather unforgiving to balls in the air.
Josh Beckett draws an inconsistent
- The Daily Grind: 5-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
anybody against Nick Tepesch or Kevin Correia.
The best ballpark to target is U.S. Cellular Field. The pitchers involved - Josh Tomlin and Jose Quintana - aren't particularly prone to meltdowns
- The Daily Grind: 7-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
me he could be an adequate back of the rotation guy. In any case, the Angels will probably spank him again today.
Paul Maholm hasn't started in awhile, but he'll fill in for Josh Beckett today. I'm
- The Daily Grind: Assets, Locke, Turner
Adam Lind and Ryan Braun vs. Chris Young
Dexter Fowler vs. Shaun Marcum
Josh Reddick vs. Andrew Cashner
Jonny Gomes vs. Wade Miley
Matt Wieters and Nolan Reimold vs. Jerome Williams
- The Daily Grind: Trades, Carrasco, Alvarez
, Jim Johnson, and Luis Avilan are expected to bolster the Dodgers roster. Jose Peraza could see time in the playoffs as a pinch runner. Those who expected Peraza to be activated by the Braves right
- The Daily Grind: Tomlin, Duffey, Holmberg, Kiké
, Stephen Strasburg, Dallas Keuchel, and Jake Arrieta. James Shields and Jaime Garcia also contribute their fair share of strong outings.
Entering the season, Josh Tomlin was one of my favorite deep
- The Daily Grind: Porcello, Conley, Asher, Dietrich
freely available Marlins.
Also consider: Jeff Locke, Chad Bettis, Tyler Wilson, Tanner Roark, Wade Miley, Josh Smith, Jarred Cosart
Hitters (power): Derek Dietrich seemingly earned more playing time
- The Daily Grind: Yahoo Exploit, Moore, Bartolo, Zito, Reds
, Jorge Lopez, Josh Smith, Nick Tropeano, Tanner Roark, Vidal Nuno, Daniel Norris, Chris Bassitt, Conley
3. GB / FB Splits
The following hitters are recommended based on the works of Shane
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 28
, and CC Sabathia hosting the Rangers.
Stack Targets: Eddie Butler, Erik Johnson, Mike Pelfrey, Kyle Gibson, John Lamb, Scott Feldman, Kendall Graveman, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jon Niese, Tim Lincecum, Albert
- Josh Bell and Steve Lombardozzi: Waiver Wire
wire just waiting to be claimed.
Josh Bell, ARI |3B| Ownership: ESPN - 0.5% Yahoo - 1.0%
Right on the heels of my last Kicking Rocks piece which clamored for Bell's call-up, the Diamondbacks
- Zobrist and Harrison: Fantasy Swiss Army Knives
Injuries and unanticipated performance decline are the twin banes of fantasy owners. It's one thing if you're reaching to the waiver wire to replace Josh Reddick. It's another thing entirely
- SP Eligible Relievers
- 2016 Retrospective: A Year of Dynasty Trades
- Ivan Nova - An Uncommon Rule 5 Story
cite are the cases like Johan Santana, Joakim Soria and Josh Hamilton — where players went on to become valuable pieces for their new teams. But when do Rule 5 players become successes after being
- How to Use LABR Mixed Draft to Your Benefit
League, Samardzija has a career 3.85 ERA and 1.27 WHIP. Steamer is calling for a 3.92 ERA this year. Avoid this guy.
NFBC ADP – 91st (High 51, Low 119)
LABR Draft – 115th
- Combing Over the Wire: Four Deep League Options
a fraction of that level he'd have value in fantasy leagues.
The biggest concern early was a lack of playing time. Kang is a reserve, but slow starts from Josh Harrison and Jordy Mercer -- as well
- The Daily Grind: Eovaldi, Holland, Johnson, Jaso
GB / FB Splits
Tomorrow's Targets - Johnson, Nova, Jaso, DeShields
1. Daily DFS - Eovaldi, Holland
- Replacement Level Depth Revisited
Last week, I tried to puzzle through something that has been bothering me - how depth affects replacement level. Consider outfield and shortstop. Last season, I might be looking at Josh Reddick
- Indians Bullpen: The Next Wade Davis?
, T.J. House, Zach McAllister, and Josh Tomlin are expected to battle for the final rotation spot. All but McAllister have options. Salazar and House are the definite front runners for a regular turn
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 13
, Andrew Cashner, Martin Perez, Shelby Miller, R.A. Dickey, Luis Severino, Julio Teheran, Justin Verlander, Chris Tillman, Josh Tomlin
4. SaberSim Observations
We have some interesting results today
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 17
: Josh Collmenter, Bryan Mitchell
Late: We're left with 10 games for the evening slate. The lonely ace is Yu Darvish. He's tasked with slowing down a hot Athletics lineup. Despite failing to pitch
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 29
, Christian Friedrich, Marcus Stroman, Julio Urias, and Jeremy Hellickson.
Stack Targets: Rob Zastryzny, Gibson, Josh Collmenter, Henry Owens
3. SaberSim Observations
Reyes, Urias, Cueto, Quintana
- The Updated Factor Grid
are extremely offense suppressant, like San Francisco.
How might you use this data in your offseason planning? Let's use Josh Donaldson as an example. He was recently traded from Oakland to Toronto, which
- The Daily Grind: E-Rod, Porcello, Taylor
recommend building your ideal lineup and then choosing a pitcher who fits.
Stack Targets: Sean O'Sullivan, Kendall Graveman, Brad Hand, Colby Lewis, Jeremy Guthrie, Tyler Cravy, David Hale, Josh Collmenter
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 9
Josh Shepardson penned a Stock Up column yesterday. Most of those five players are looking like viable mixed league plays due to their role in the lineup. If a player is batting second
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 20
Targets: Paul Clemens, Daniel Wright, Josh Smith, Jorge de la Rosa, Jake Thompson, Edinson Volquez, Josh Tomlin, Matt Boyd, James Shields, Adam Wainwright, Matt Garza, A.J. Griffin
- 21 Players Whose Fielding Could Affect Their Fantasy Value
- Jimmy Rollins: Still Relevant
on more and more heaters to attack Rollins. Perhaps he'll become the anti-Josh Hamilton.
Rollins has a reputation as a spray hitter, but this doesn't look like what you'd expect. This is his spray
- Handling Fantasy Baseball Keeper Decisions
- Paul Gold Standard
taking Josh Donaldson ahead of him too. A.J. Pollock and Manny Machado may also sneak into the top five due to excellent five category value.
Steamer projects regression. An 83/27/82/15/.290 line would
- The Interaction of Keeper Value and Inflation
is pretty obvious. Be more willing to "overpay" for top talents than run of the mill players. If you have Chris Sale at his expected, pre-inflation price, it's an easy keep. If you have Josh Reddick at cost
- The Updated Factor Grid
factors in the offseason too - specifically for players who are changing venues. Last year, I used Josh Donaldson's move from the Coliseum to the Rogers Centre as an example. We know how that went
- The Pirates Outfield
steal upside could strongly affect his value, especially for an owner who missed out on early draft steals.
The Right Field Shuffle
- The Daily Grind: 5-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. The over-under of nine runs scored smells low to me.
The Nationals have a couple lefties to try in Arizona against Josh Collmenter. With Bryce Harper on the disabled list, there's much less to stack
- The Daily Grind: 5-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
have a deeper slate of 10 games for the night contest.
I kind of like Josh Tomlin, but I also like left-handed hitters at Progressive Field. A few Athletics went wild last night, most notably Josh
- The Daily Grind: 5-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
lineups against Josh Collmenter. He's left-handed, tends to bat in the middle of the lineup, and is not named Joey Votto (he's still out).
Matt Shoemaker versus Brandon Maurer is a game to exploit. Too
- The Daily Grind: 6-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
As a starter, Josh Collmenter might be a Chris Young type. However, it's really easy to pick against fly ball pitchers at Coors Field. It's harder to find freely available Rockies hitters.
- The Daily Grind: 6-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
to play a lot smaller in the summer months.
The Angels welcomed Josh Hamilton back yesterday. Now they'll face the Astros and Jarred Cosart with an extra weapon in the lineup. The game is at Houston
- The Daily Grind: 7-24-14 - Presented by FanDuel
home run in each of his last seven starts. On the positive side, he'll face the Rangers, and he still has strong strikeout and walk rates on the season.
Josh Tomlin's command and control profile has
- The Daily Grind: 8-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Gennett, Jon Jay, and D.J. LeMahieu. They're the types that just look to rope line drives to the opposite field.
Three names leap off the page - Brock Holt, Corey Dickerson, and Josh Harrison
- The Daily Grind: 8-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
like Josh Tomlin a lot. In fact, I'm using him all over the place. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a fly ball pitcher with a high HR/FB ratio. Long balls are a DFSer's friend.
- The Daily Grind: 8-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
to Exploit: Josh Collmenter is a soft-tossing, contact oriented, fly ball dealing righty. He'll face an Indians lineup with plenty of left-handed pop in a stadium that rewards such power.
Robbie Ray isn't
- The Daily Grind: 8-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
, there isn't much to talk about that isn't a feature length article.
According to Jeff Sullivan, pitchers are treating Javier Baez like Josh Hamilton. They aren't throwing fastballs nor
- Further Ongoing Fire Sale Coverage
, Jake Lamb, Jesse Chavez, Josh Tomlin, David Peralta, Shane Victorino, Aaron Nola, and Zach Walters. I still have $15 available. Some of those players are to keep and a few are just to support my bid
- The Daily Grind: GPPs, Harang, Simon
have a lot of choices with this particular split today. A few of my favorites include:
Jordy Mercer and Josh Harrison @ Josh Collmenter
Freddie Freeman @ Aaron Harang
Mike Zunino and Kyle Seager vs
- The Daily Grind: Coors, Fiers, Pagan
, or $7,200 Ubaldo Jimenez? Yes, I might.
Stack Targets: Sean O'Sullivan, Josh Collmenter, Henderson Alvarez, Colby Lewis, Marco Estrada, Phil Hughes
3. GB / FB Splits
The following hitters
- The Daily Grind: Fiers, Wright, Wilson
is on the side of a Giants stack.
Late: That leaves us with four late games. The two worst pitchers of the contest are Alex Wood and Josh Collmenter. Expect to see many Cardinals stacks against
- The Daily Grind: SaberSim, Lamb, Tomlin
starts can only be described as inconsistent. There is risk of a meltdown.
Also consider: Brett Anderson
Pitchers to Exploit: No shortage of exploits tomorrow. Josh Tomlin is a pitcher I really
- The Daily Grind: Shields, Burnett, Asher
Koehler, Josh Tomlin, Jeff Samardzija, Mike Pelfrey, Kris Medlen, Chris Rusin, Zack Godley, Aaron Brooks, Martin Perez
3. GB / FB Splits
The following hitters are recommended based on the works
- The Daily Grind: Steals, Eickhoff, Tomlin, Gutierrez
of his five starts. The Red Sox demolished him. I'm counting on 10 to 12 points for $5,400.
Stack Targets: Wood, Justin Nicolino, Wade Miley, Wei-Yin Chen, Matt Boyd, Josh Smith, Ryan Weber, Mike
- The Daily Grind: Closers, Dickey, Hill, Mercer
Stack Targets: Jeff Locke, Tanner Roark, Tyler Wilson, Chad Bettis, Wade Miley, James Paxton, Jarred Cosart, Cody Anderson, Josh Smith, Alec Asher
3. GB / FB Splits
The following hitters
- The Daily Grind: Keepers, Zimmermann, Gutierrez
, Justin Morneau v Mike Bolsinger
Josh Reddick, Marcus Semien v Mike Leake
4. SaberSim Observations
A little under half of the day's games are missing from SaberSim today. Based on what is posted
- The Daily Grind: Smyly, Corbin, Hicks, Rollins
righties to trot out there.
Also consider: Brett Anderson, Ian Kennedy, Rich Hill, Steven Matz, Jerad Eickhoff, Tyler Duffey, Josh Tomlin
Pitchers to Exploit: Not only are there a bunch of starters
- Four Dynasty First Base Targets
into the fire. He began the season in a time share with Jordy Mercer and Josh Harrison. The reduced role may have helped him adjust to major league talent and culture shock. Park may benefit from
- Top 11 SP Eligible Relievers
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 3
is a good day to demo SaberSim conditions. Yesterday, I built a few stacks without any need to tinker. Today's first draft lineup "stacks" Josh Donaldson and Jose Bautista. The rest of the roster is just
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 14
and Taijaun Walker have occasional studly outings.
Last but not least, Josh Tomlin has an easy route to victory opposite broken Chris Young. The spacious outfield of Kauffman Stadium should help
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 30
Cashner and Colin Rea. In terms of immediate fantasy implications, Cashner is now slightly more likely to win his starts. Dynasty owners should be happy Josh Naylor will play in lefty power friendly
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 25
Ranaudo, Jered Weaver, Seth Lugo, Wily Peralta, Edinson Volquez, Josh Tomlin, Kuhl, James Paxton
4. SaberSim Observations
Scherzer, Ray, Pomeranz, Odorizzi, and Moore round out the top five
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 30
by a beatable Marlins lineup.
Stack Targets: Andrew Albers, Anthony Ranaudo, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jered Weaver, Wily Peralta, Edwin Jackson, Josh Tomlin, Tim Adleman
4. SaberSim Observations
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 15
it to be a fine selection, Harper probably isn't in my top 12. Who is, you ask? How about:
Mike Trout, Mookie Betts, Clayton Kershaw, Kris Bryant, Paul Goldschmidt, Nolan Arenado, Jose Altuve, Josh Donaldson
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 19
, Josh Tomlin, Daniel Wright, A.J. Griffin, Matt Garza, Matt Boyd, Hector Santiago, Jorge de la Rosa, Paul Clemens
Hitters (power): Jumbo Ryan Schimpf is once again facing an extremely exploitable
- Santos' Swift Slider
- Matt Cain, Destroyer of DIPS
- Zack Greinke and Pitch Sequences
- Exploring Pitching Tendencies
- Breaking Down Stolen Base Break-Even Points
- Respect, Measured
- Anatomy of the $100 Million Contract
- Prince's Improved Approach at the Plate
- Beating the Defensive Shift
- How Good Is Matt Garza?
- Spring Training in September
- Commanding the Zone
- Do Better Pitchers Actually Have Better Command?
- Explaining the Command Disconnect
- Ace Ventura: A Shields-less Royals' Rotation
- The Padres Bullpen: Who's Your Daddy('s Relievers)?
- Checking in on Post-Hype Sleepers
- Dumpster Diving: Chris Heston's Early Season Success
- Early Season Trade Targets
- What's Jimmy Nelson Brewing?
- Buying Low Using LOB%: Buchholz, Carrasco and Strasburg
- More Love for Cameron Maybin
- Mike Foltynewicz is Pretty Good
- Three ROS Helpers: Odor, Snider and Moore
- Dealing Carlos Gomez in Keeper and Dynasty Formats
- Cardinals' Playing Time Battles: Hitters
- Giants’ Playing Time Battles: Hitters
- Starting Pitchers: Five Picks Outside the Top 50
- Cheap Power: Three Hitters Selected After Pick 265
- Stock Up: Playing Time and Lineup Spot Value Boosts
- Ticking Up: Chris Tillman
- What's Going on with Hector Santiago?
- Stock Rising: David Hernandez, A.J. Reed and Derek Dietrich
- Checking in on Youngsters: McCullers, Taillon and Joseph
- Gattis' Stock Up, Profar Call Up and Santiago Velo Up?
- How Good is Kenta Maeda?
- Three Undervalued Players: Dietrich, Lamb and Gausman
- Checking in on Matt Harvey and Sonny Gray
- A Fresh Start, Big Pop and a Flame-throwing Southpaw
- Should Kyle Gibson be Rostered in Deep Leagues?
- Checking in on Two Improving Hurlers: Manaea and Bundy
- Four Widely Available Young Hitters: Hedges, Zunino, Vogelbach and Gallo
- Waiver Wire Targets: A Southpaw and a Couple of Outfielders
- Four Hot Finishers: Tomas, Alvarez, Dickerson and Paxton
- A Trio of Useful Players: Aybar, Quinn and E-Rod
- A Quartet of Low Owned, Strikeout Boosting Relievers
- Assessing the 2017 Value of Kevin Gausman
- Checking in on Eric Thames
- Sabathia's Strong June
- Carsten Groundball Sabathia
- A Pitch F/X Look at Cliff Lee
- John Axford: the Cardinals’ newest reclamation project
- Under the Radar: John Mayberry
- 2015 Fantasy Sleepers: Starting Pitching
- 2015 Fantasy Bust: Johnny Cueto
- 2015 Fantasy: More Starting Pitching Busts
- Jon Niese Is Changing It Up
- Fantasy: Don't Fear Jose Altuve Late in First Round
- Fantasy: Three Undervalued Catchers
- Dodgers Make a Low Risk Investment in Rotation Depth
prefer not to rush either pitcher. Stephen Fife is a decent swing man, but the Dodgers would probably prefer to avoid turning to Matt Magill. Josh Beckett and Dan Haren are penciled into the rotation
- Alfonso Soriano: Barring Injury
-handers. That reduces his overall production enough that he's scarcely above fantasy replacement level (aka Josh Reddick) per wRC+. Of course, that's deceptive since it doesn't account for the actual
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner: Consideration About Value
. Similarly an owner that has most of their payroll committed to 18 keepers may be willing to pay extra for a $4 Josh Donaldson in trade.
In essence, there are two factors that greatly affect a player's
- The Athletics Rotation
is very limited. As in, maybe he'll outperform his peripherals.
Milone does a decent job of channeling Jamie Moyer. He's a fairly soft-tossing lefty who
- Strategic Reminders
outfield before Avisail Garcia and Josh Hamilton hit the disabled list. I still have eight viable outfielders (and Justin Ruggiano), so I'm the obvious trade partner. But I don't need anything and he does
- Six Worm Murdering Hitters
before Josh Hamilton and C.J. Cron oust him from the middle of the order.
It's hard to offer strong advice about any of these players because the relevant data is still fluky. What I do know is I'd
- The Daily Grind: 9-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
over it. I did a couple write ups on Nolan Arenado and Josh Harrison yesterday. The basic analysis suggests both breakouts are the real deal. They should be valuable fantasy contributors in 2015.
- The Daily Grind: 9-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
The last guy is the one I want to point out, because I'm hopeful he'll be a lesser force next season. Josh Tomlin has a 4.76 ERA and a 3.16 xFIP. If you prefer SIERA as the run
- The Daily Grind: 9-22-14
Matt Joyce hasn't provided much excellence this year, but he exists and will see Carroll.
Hitters (speed): More Stubbs, Drew Stubbs. Also Josh Rutledge?
- The Daily Grind: 9-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
to Start: The Cleveland Plain Dealer said T.J. House will finish the season in the bullpen. ESPN says he's starting tomorrow. If it's House or Josh Tomlin, I'd use them against the Rays. House has an issue
- Jonathan Schoop: Power and Impatience
Gomez. Here's video of a sweet swing off knuckleballer R.A. Dickey. He ranked 47th in average fly ball distance at 291 feet, which surrounded him with names like Mike Trout, Josh Donaldson, and Neil
- Anthony Rendon: Breakout Bargain Bonanza
to that of Howard or Josh Hamilton. In other words, if he sees more benders, he'll probably just adjust. While he does favor the left side of the infield, he's not quite shiftable. Since an actual
- Wilmer Flores Probably Earns A Job
on base percentage would have tied for 48th best, with Josh Donaldson, Nick Markakis, Justin Upton, and Neil Walker.
Tejada seems like the kind of player a second division club might try at the top
- Ottoneu Offseason: Maintain A Full Roster
to cut anybody.
With the conclusion of arbitration, FanGraphs Staff Two saw about 25 players cut by three clubs (one owner cut just one guy, Josh Willingham). My question: why? I can only assume
- Fantasy Reactions: Souza, Peterson, Perceived Value
could change if he were suddenly freed.
For example, Danny Salazar, T.J. House, and Josh Tomlin are expected to compete for one job (Zach McAllister is also in the mix). I think all three are pretty
- Steve Pearce, Jake Arrieta, And Information Gaps
highly despite some information gaps.
- Pirates Infield: Flexible Fantasy
for Kang to supply a low batting average with above average power as he adjusts to the majors.
Playing time could be hard to find in his first professional season. I assume either he or Josh Harrison
- Angels Outfield: Animal Style
that Josh Hamilton's future is in question. If Mike Trout lands on the disabled list - and it will eventually happen - the entire club could go from the division favorite to fighting for a Wild Card berth
- The Daily Grind: NotGraphs, Peralta, Greene
At Yankee Stadium against the all-powerful Blue Jays, I'll happily target Sabathia. The primary dealers of damage - Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, and Josh Donaldson - obviously
- The Daily Grind: Pelfrey, Hammel, Lobstein, O'Sullivan
: House, Masahiro Tanaka, Josh Collmenter, Jake Peavy, Colby Lewis, Casey Sadler, Nate Karns
Hitters (power): Apparently, John Mayberry Jr. will bat third for the Mets against left-handed pitching
- The Daily Grind: Milone, Montero, Reddick
Hitters (power): After missing the start of the season, Josh Reddick has quietly slain his opponents. He's just nine percent owned on Yahoo, yet he's hitting .348/.412/.522 in 51 plate
- The Daily Grind: Duduno, Gonzalez, Danks
. Luckily, he'll face a lefty at Petco.
Also consider: Trevor Plouffe, Alex Guerrero, David Peralta, Josh Reddick, Will Middlebrooks, Dan Uggla, Eric Campbell, Marlon Byrd, Andrew Susac, Chris
- The Daily Grind: Ross, Shoemaker, Baker
are half of them:
Buster Posey and Justin Maxwell vs. Josh Collmenter
Ruben Tejeda, Michael Cuddyer, and Travis d'Arnaud vs. Shelby Miller
Howie Kendrick and Andre Ethier vs Ian Kennedy
- The Daily Grind: Kershaw, Nola, Anderson, Lowrie
stolen bases are to be had with Jon Lester on the hill. Jordy Mercer is probably the most interesting of the very few available Pirates.
Also consider: Ketel Marte, Josh Harrison, Danny Espinosa
- Accountability Corner: DFS Performance And Observations
a lineup on FanDuel first, I'd find myself with a similar group on DraftKings.
The two sites tend to have wildly different prices at times. To give an example, Josh Reddick might cost $2,700
- Preparing For The Winter - Ottoneu Edition
- Is A.J. Pollock A Top Pick?
easily be accompanied by 20 more home runs. Even if you're worried he won't crack 20 bombs again, he's a relatively safe bet to reach 15 home runs.
Like Josh Donaldson, his value is bolstered by his
- The Blue Jays Other Guys
by MVP Josh Donaldson and a couple familiar faces. Donaldson, Jose Bautista, and Edwin Encarnacion will draw early draft attention next season. However, a couple solid contributors may slip under
- On Full Health Projections
), is that the non-Steamer folks were using a sort of full health expectation. Let's use Josh Donaldson as an example. We know he was generally healthy, and we know how he performed. In today's game
- Reach Or Sleep
pick 15th. When it's your turn, let's say your draft board reads Mookie Betts, Nolan Arenado, and A.J. Pollock. Let's also say the other big third basemen - Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson, and Kris
- Industry Mocking Gold
Kevin Pillar LF/CF TOR
Felix Hernandez SP SEA
Taijuan Walker SP SEA
Noah Syndergaard SP NYM
Josh Harrison 2B/3B/DH PIT
Rougned Odor 2B
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 27
, CC Sabathia, Collin McHugh, Josh Tomlin
4. SaberSim Observations
SaberSim says Arrieta, Harvey, Matt Moore, Gonzalez, and Hisashi Iwakuma. I agree with two of those. I'm out on Moore against
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 12
twitter is probably the whiniest of the 30 teams so we'll have some secondary entertainment too.
Also consider: Justin Verlander, Chris Tillman, Tom Koehler, Ricky Nolasco, Josh Tomlin, Martin
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 17
the Mariners at home is a tough pairing. The M's lineup is loaded with platoon mashing bats.
Also consider: Tom Koehler, Ricky Nolasco, Justin Verlander, Martin Perez, R.A. Dickey, Josh Tomlin, Brandon
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 24
Chacin, Andrew Cashner, Shelby Miller, R.A. Dickey, Doug Fister, Matt Harvey, Martin Perez, Julio Teheran, Josh Tomlin
3. SaberSim Observations
Sale, Price, Strasburg, Francisco Liriano
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 23
to consider include Collin McHugh hosting the Angels, Josh Tomlin at Camden Yard (not an ideal location for a fly ball guy), and John Lackey at Miller Park.
Stack Targets: Robbie Ray, Yordano Ventura
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 21
consider: Ryan Schimpf, Alex Dickerson, Jon Jay, Chase Utley, Josh Bell, Scooter Gennett, Justin Bour
Hitters (speed): I've written about Adam Frazier a couple hundred times this year, although I
- Way Too Early 2017 Rankings: Catchers
- Accountability Corner: Eight More Leagues
a measly 16 points. It would have been even worse without midseason waiver claims on Joe Panik, Matt Duffy, Josh Reddick, and others. In this case, I just bet on the wrong guys. Namely Jorge Soler
- Reviewing Brad Johnson's 2016 Bold Predictions
much outfield work.
I could probably repeat this prediction next year, and it would still be bold.
*manager demotes Johnson in the lineup
5. Michael Brantley will be a top 10
- Projection Leaderboard Fun Courtesy of ZiPS and Fans
- The Players' Association May Target Qualifying Offers
Kuroda all fall into this bucket. The other group is comprised of free agent powerhouses - Robinson Cano, Josh Hamilton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Shin-Soo Choo and Brian McCann. To a lesser extent, Carlos
- Tough Decisions: Gregory Polanco
that suggest he can handle center field. Other outfielders who can handle center and feature strong arms — such as Josh Reddick and Shane Victorino — posted defensive marks in the range of +15 to +25 runs
- Colorado's Canny Outfield Platoon
This spring, the Colorado Rockies made the unusual decision to break camp with six outfielders. If any roster had the right personnel to overload in the outfield, it was the Rockies. Infielders Josh
- Ottoneu Arbitration: A Guide for 2014
for multiple seasons.
For example, Josh Donaldson costs $3 to keep in many leagues and let's say My Archnemesis owns him. If I allocate $3 to him this season and he's kept for the next four seasons
- Bryce Harper: A Catch-34
wRC+ against left-handers is similar to Josh Reddick's 92 wRC+. If you go back to Zach Sanders' list and scroll down to the 75th name, you'll find Reddick with a $0 valuation. In other words, Harper
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner: Sending Signals
coveted Arenado and claims he would have accepted a package deal for his $11 Josh Donaldson.
Not all owners are as...calculating...as me. The example I gave is where somebody earnestly valued Arenado
- The Endowment Effect is Your Enemy
. Sometimes you'll come out looking like a genius because you kept Josh Donaldson for $3 based on a strong September, but other times you'll just waste $20 or worse, use a player well past his expiration date
- When Should You Pay for Elite Relievers?
rosters. You have Mike Trout for $10, Josh Donaldson for $3, Sonny Gray for $3, and Stephen Strasburg for $12. I'll say this as scientifically as possible, that hypothetical keeper roster has
- Elite Relievers in an Ottoneu Points Format
the cheapest. See Josh Donaldson last season. That functionally means that some teams have extra money available in their quest for 7,000 PAR. We call that inflation.
Trey shared a document with me
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner: Various Offseason Trade Strategies
$47 Dustin Pedroia and $5 Josh Bell for $29 Chase Utley and $4 Christian Yelich. I coveted Yelich, and was really targeting a Pedroia for Yelich swap, but I made the deal about two overpriced second
- The Dodgers Rotation
The Dodgers brought in the fly ball oriented Haren to add depth to the rotation. Relying on Beckett, Fife, and Billingsley (once health) is a shaky
- The Diamondbacks Rotation
doesn't match well with Chase Field. Neither pitcher possesses any fantasy upside. Josh Collmenter could also serve as a swing man in a pinch, but he's more useful out of the bullpen.
- The Athletics Outfield
, and that should continue into 2014. The club will return three starters and they have brought in a defensive stalwart to serve as depth.
- Beware of Sleepers
seen. Last year turned up Josh Donaldson, Domonic Brown, and Brandon Belt. It also identified Lorenzo Cain, Justin Smoak, and Nolan Reimold.
So the formula got it half right. That's a good success
- Prospects in Ottoneu: Additional Thoughts
). If I had a Buxton, I could probably get one of those elite players right now. As it stands, I'll need to bide my time and maybe hope to find a Josh Donaldson breakout along the way.
- The Phillies Infield
. Honestly, his profile is rather reminiscent of Josh Donaldson last preseason, except with a lower batting average. That's not to say Asche is a great breakout candidate, it's a reminder that under the right
- Five Potential Breakouts
. The important part - my successes were BIG (Brandon Belt, Josh Donaldson, and Domonic Brown).
All five of the players on the breakout list play in the Cactus League. I've set up base camp
- The Daily Grind: 4-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
(speed): Ooh the Rajai Davis platoon advantage is open for business. Huzzah huzzah.
Gerardo Parra is very available. He'll face Josh Beckett.
Norichika Aoki's ownership is declining, so you might
- Four Players Who Pass the Eye Test
this season. He's at 10 already.
Oh, here's a spray chart from this season. Remember, he's a righty.
Josh Donaldson: If anyone was doubting Donaldson heading into the season, he's probably
- The Daily Grind: 5-6-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Cleveland's lefty hitters are enticing against Samuel Deduno. The Twins don't have many lefties to use against Josh Tomlin, especially with Joe Mauer probably out of the lineup. In other words, the Minnesota
- The Daily Grind: 5-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Reds starters over the weekend.
I like Josh Beckett against the New York Mets. Do be aware of the 3.94 FIP.
Drew Pomeranz has been great in a couple five inning starts. The Rays will be his
- The Daily Grind: 6-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. We know Atlanta likes to swing for the fences, so feel free to target the bombs.
Jarred Cosart and Josh Collmenter are exploitable in different ways. Collmenter is weakest against lefties, while
- The Daily Grind: 6-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
leadoff duties for the Red Sox despite being forced to an unfamiliar position. You can use him against Josh Tomlin.
Tommy La Stella (and Holt) isn't really a speed guy, but he has some speed
- The Daily Grind: 6-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
with navigating a tough Blue Jays lineup.
I like Josh Tomlin, but his stuff isn't the best. Anytime you have a guy with a short track record of success as a command and control pitcher, there is a risk
- The Daily Grind: 6-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
points total? Let's take Yu Darvish and Josh Tomlin. Tomlin costs about 40 percent as much as Darvish and projects to post about seven points. Darvish looks to be worth about 16 points today.
- The Daily Grind: 6-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
the guy(s) who do the damage is much harder. The obvious choices are the few left-handed hitters in the Angels lineup like Kole Calhoun and Josh Hamilton.
Two forces collide in New York tonight. Chase
- The Daily Grind: 7-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
against Jair Jurrjens. He pitched alright in Triple-A for the Reds, but I can't see him mid-4's ERA transitioning to Coors Field. This could be a big time thumping.
Something about this Josh
- The Daily Grind: 7-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Jurrjens games. And you know what? They're right to do so.
C.J. Wilson is a good pitcher, but the Blue Jays are always capable of launching any number of home runs.
- Continued Ongoing Fire Sale Coverage
some ground in the standings, which made it easier to go for it.
The fire sale isn't over. I still have plenty of mid-tier assets like David Wright, Josh Hamilton, Chase Utley, and Ben Zobrist. I
- The Daily Grind: 7-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Hitters (power): Josh Harrison, Russell Martin, and Gaby Sanchez all make for decent power plays in Colorado.
John Jaso, Stephen Vogt, and Jed Lowrie are generally available for a start
- The Daily Grind: 8-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
consider starting him at home against the Giants.
Hitters (power): Stephen Vogt, John Jaso, Sam Fuld, Jed Lowrie, and Josh Reddick are among the A's you could try tomorrow. Alex Cobb isn't a good matchup
- The Daily Grind: 8-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
to identify players to avoid.
2. Daily DFS
It's all late tonight although four games are in jeopardy due to storms (see section 4).
Josh Collmenter has managed decent
- The Daily Grind: 8-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
will benefit from Coors Field.
Hitters (power): Omar Infante, Josh Willingham, Lorenzo Cain, and Billy Butler all have varying degrees of available. They'll also all have the platoon advantage in Colorado
- The Daily Grind: 8-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
are among the Athletics righties to try in an important series against the Angels and Hector Santiago.
Seth Smith will see Josh Collmenter.
How about Marcell Ozuna against Morales? Maybe Casey
- The Daily Grind: 8-28-14 - Presented by FanDuel
the right stuff to be a Rockie.
Hitters (power): Seth Smith is still around. He'll face Dan Haren.
You may recall I had big expectations for Josh Reddick this season. He'll have the platoon advantage
- The Daily Grind: 9-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Travis Wood will have to solve the Pirates lineup. Pittsburgh is short one Josh Harrison, which is a shame for DFSers. I'd still try to get Andrew McCutchen onto my roster, but a traditional stack
- The Daily Grind: 9-11-14 - Presented by FanGraphs
. He's still Eric Stults.
Hitters (power): I'm going to start calling the A's attack against lefties The Thousandfold Stack. It consists of Josh Donaldson (unavailable), Derek Norris, Jonny Gomes
- The Daily Grind: 9-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Michael Bourn and Jose Ramirez ought to look for walks against May. Then they can steal themselves a double.
Look to Ender Inciarte, Josh Rutledge, Drew Stubbs, and any other DBacks/Rockies you
- Tinkering With Ottoneu Arbitration Selections
on Josh Harrison ($4). He's way outside my usual mold, but he impressed me when I watched him play. I think he can be a Ben Zobrist of sorts. I was upset when I didn't go the extra dollar to land him
- Fantasy Keeper Decisions: Part Two
Now that everyone has had a chance to offer their first impressions, I'll reveal what I consider to be the three "correct
- Mets Infield: Controversy Afoot
runs of any slugger - more than Miguel Cabrera, Josh Donaldson, Andrew McCutchen, and Albert Pujols.
The lefty features big platoon splits that beg to be hidden from southpaw pitchers. Last season
- The Other Way to Build a Team
- The Guys I Own The Most
Multiple Times (8 Teams)
- The Daily Grind: Welcome, Betts, Hahn, Pagan
, and Josh Collmenter in Phoenix.
3. Tomorrow's Targets - Hahn, Peavy, Davis, Pagan
There are only eight games tomorrow, so it's a perfect time to start streaming. Recall, this section is all
- The Daily Grind: Moustakas, Kelly, Mayberry, Marisnick
Carlos Santana vs. Noesi
Joey Votto vs. Mike Fiers
Wilmer Flores vs. Trevor Cahill
Josh Harrison vs. Travis Wood
Salvador Perez vs. Tommy Milone
All six hitters have at least a .800
- The Daily Grind: Odorizzi, Wandy, Guerrero
. I'll ask Dan about his swing.
Also consider: Josh Reddick, Rickie Weeks, Justin Ruggiano, Wilson Ramos
Hitters (speed): I hyped Juan Lagares over the offseason, but he's off to a slow start
- The Daily Grind: deGrom, Norris, Maxwell
consider: Trevor Plouffe, Yonder Alonso, David Peralta, Josh Reddick
Hitters (speed): Erick Aybar is off to another slow start. The 31-year-old has a limp .211/.277/.224 line in 84 plate appearances
- The Daily Grind: Audits, Salazar, Stubbs
Estrada, Chad Billingsley, Bud Norris, Wandy Rodriguez, Tyler Lyons, Josh Collmenter, Tyler Matzek, Ryan Vogelsong
3. GB / FB Splits
The following hitters are recommended based on the works of Shane
- The Daily Grind: Eovaldi, Iglesias, Davis, Phillips
Jeff has identified 36 hitters today. Below are some of my favorites.
Howie Kendrick and Andre Ethier vs. Dan Haren
Josh Reddick vs. Justin Masterson
Prince Fielder vs. Edinson Volquez
- The Daily Grind: Dynasty, Chavez, Young
surviving the Orioles lineup.
Also consider: Sean O'Sullivan, Marco Estrada, Ryan Vogelsong, Kyle Kendrick, Josh Collmenter
Hitters (power): Khris Davis has the platoon advantage against Alex Wood
- The Daily Grind: deGrom, Salazar, Van Slyke
must use somebody, Josh Collmenter looks like the guy. At least he's a solid command and control guy. He won't offer many strikeouts. He'll probably get pounded. In fact, he's an exploit target
- The Daily Grind: Anibal, Chi Chi, Ruf
their analysis, Stanton wasn't a fit for my rival's roster. Of course, said rival is starting Torii Hunter and Chris Coghlan in his outfield with Josh Donaldson filling a utility spot. In other words, it looks
- The Daily Grind, Erasmo, Perez, Grichuk
Josh Reddick vs. Shane Greene
Avisail Garcia vs. Yovani Gallardo
Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Zack Cozart vs. Aaron Harang
Carlos Santana and Michael Bourn vs. Chris Young
- The Daily Grind: Hutchison, Hendricks, Deshields
Seager vs. Alex Colome
Russell Martin vs. Brett Oberholtzer
Josh Reddick vs. Joe Kelly
Chris Heisey vs. Jaime Garcia
Jonny Gomes vs. Jeff Locke
George Springer, Hank Conger, Jake Marisnick
- The Daily Grind: L/R Splits, Happ, Chi Chi
. Jerome Williams
Matt Wieters vs. Rick Porcello
Josh Reddick vs. Yovani Gallardo
Kyle Seager vs. Trevor Bauer
4. Tomorrow's Targets - Happ, Chi Chi, Young, DeJesus
Pitchers to Start: J.A. Happ
- The Daily Grind: The King, Ross, Reimold
he'll be rusty? When he landed on the disabled list, he had a 6.12 ERA and a 3.46 FIP.
Also consider: Sean O'Sullivan, Colby Lewis, Jeremy Guthrie, David Hale, CC Sabathia, Bud Norris, Josh
- The Daily Grind: Clayton Giancarlo, Hutch, Tucker
Brandon Barnes vs. Brett Oberholtzer
Salvador Perez vs Mike Fiers
Carlos Santana vs. Tsuyoshi Wada
Avisail Garcia vs. Jeff Locke
Jose Bautista vs. Jon Niese
Josh Reddick vs. Odrisamer
- The Daily Grind: Rain, Matz, Masterson
was optioned to Triple-A. Masterson pitched decently in his rehab stint. Maybe he'll recapture his past success. I'm betting against it.
Also consider: Chi Chi Gonzalez, Josh Smith, Jose Urena, Kevin Correia
- The Daily Grind: Buchanan, Rubby, Kang
Kang is batting cleanup for the Pirates while Starling Marte and Josh Harrison are out. At only 11 percent owned, Kang is an easy pick against lefty Tim Cooney. He's hit .267/.365/.467 versus southpaws
- The Daily Grind: Trade Talks, Tropeano, Happ
points ahead of third. Team B is rebuilding. Team A submitted an offer of $22 to keep Josh Donaldson for Team B's Aroldis Chapman, $15 to keep Ken Giles, and $43 to keep Giancarlo Stanton.
Team A has
- The Daily Grind: Syndergaard, Corbin, Verlander?
. I'm guessing Tulo will bat cleanup between Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion. Throw in Josh Donaldson and this offense looks like it's straight out of 1999.
Jose Reyes may score fewer runs
- The Daily Grind: Jones, Corbin, Smyly, Valencia
. SaberSim likes Jimmy Nelson, but I'm not so sure.
Stack Targets: Miley, Estrada, Chris Bassitt, Mike Foltynewicz, Josh Tomlin, Tyler Duffey, Holmberg, Brad Hand, Jerome Williams
3. Tomorrow's Targets
- The Daily Grind: Ross, Duffy, Duffey
expect the Orioles to drub him out of the game in three innings.
Also consider: Miguel Gonzalez, Josh Tomlin, Ivan Nova, Martin Perez, Alfredo Simon, Wade Miley, John Lamb, Jerome Williams, Brad Hand
- The Daily Grind: Splits Issues, Nola, Medlen, Schoop
, Welington Castillo, Eddie Rosario, Khris Davis, Eugenio Suarez, C.J. Cron, Josh Harrison, Jedd Gyorko, Ryan Howard, Domonic Brown, Stephen Piscotty, Michael Conforto
Hitters (speed): Denard Span is back
- The Daily Grind: Severino, McCullers, Tomlin, Davis
Eovaldi, McCullers, Robbie Ray
Pitchers to Exploit: I'm a Josh Tomlin fan, but there's no denying his homer prone nature. The Angels kill fly ball pitchers. It's simply a bad matchup. A couple
- The Daily Grind: Smyly, Corbin, Gyorko
of record for most terrible pitchers called upon in a season. The latest is Josh Smith. Unlike many of their call ups, Smith appears to possess some semblance of command. The issue is one of stuff
- The Daily Grind: Eickhoff, Hill, Heston, Parker
-Yin Chen, Henry Owens, Josh Tomlin, Roenis Elias
Pitchers to Exploit: You should be able to find some Marlins to use against Jerome Williams. Any old Marlin will do. He hasn't started since August
- The Daily Grind: The Final Volume
or a Cubs loss to hold onto home field advantage in the Wild Card game. With J.A. Happ on the bump against Josh Smith and the Reds, a victory is practically assured. Since joining the Pirates, Happ has
- Dynasty And Keepers: When The Dominoes Finally Fall
be an offensive force at the position. His role in the Blue Jays offense likely depends upon Troy Tulowitzki. If Tulo continues to decline, Travis is a candidate to bat ahead of Josh Donaldson, Jose
- Fantasy Implications of the 2015 Rule 5 Draft
Jabari Blash - OF - SEA (sixth overall, acquired from A's)
Josh Martin - RHP - CLE (seventh overall)
Blake Smith - RHP - CWS (15th overall)
The Padres came away with the biggest haul, trading
- Crazy Crazy Crazy Drafts
I was the first owner to select two players. I also reached seven players first and every number in between. Then I took a long break. The top of my roster includes $38 Jose Abreu, $40 Josh
- Actual Useful Advice From Two Drafts
and on the base paths. In this way, the league was right to take it easy when bidding on Miggy.
Well-round contributions also informed my picks of Josh Harrison, Jake Lamb, Didi Gregorius, and Jung-ho Kang
- Five AL Deep Sleepers For Your Radar
the job from Rickard.
Josh Tomlin - SP
Tomlin, the Indians fifth starter, has scuffled a bit this spring. To provide any fantasy value, he needs to quickly round into form. The Indians have too
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 8
through four to five innings then turn to the bullpen.
I wrote a positive review of Joe Kelly yesterday, but I don't think I'm taking him at the Rogers Centre. Josh Donaldson may return to the lineup
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 11
consider: Darin Ruf, Jon Jay, Mike Napoli, Ben Paulsen, Josh Phegley, Franklin Gutierrez
Hitters (speed): Turn to the nation's capitol for a classic episode of Dusty Being Dusty. Leadoff man du jour
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 15
it. Perhaps you wish to incorporate that information.
I do care about matchups. The Braves are all kinds of terrible. Koehler should have a good shot at a win.
Also consider: Josh Tomlin, Erasmo
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 21
" and "to exploit" sections of this post. Tomorrow, he's at home against a solid Dodgers offense. Please exploit him.
Also consider: CC Sabathia, Justin Verlander, Josh Tomlin, Jon Moscot, Bud Norris
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 22
, Chris Young, Jon Moscot, Bud Norris, Jarred Cosart, Zach Davies, Kyle Gibson, Martin Perez, Andrew Cashner, CC Sabathia, Yovani Gallardo, Josh Tomlin, Collin McHugh
4. SaberSim Observations
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 26
consider: Josh Tomlin, Nick Tropeano
Pitchers to Exploit: Jarred Cosart may be over his vertigo, but that leaves him with 98 other problems. His velocity is down 1.5 mph this season. He's producing
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 2
for a full outing. Prepare for a low strikeout rate, walks, and plenty of balls in play.
Also consider: Justin Verlander, Josh Tomlin, Chris Tillman, Jon Niese, Martin Perez, Jon Moscot, Matt
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 7
be ownable in a Jerad Eickhoff sort of way.
Also consider: Josh Tomlin, Nick Tropeano, Steven Wright
Pitchers to Exploit: I liked Tyler Duffey heading into the season, but I'm terrified of him at U.S.
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 14
of the regular folks are taking a break. The Athletics use Josh Phegley as a platoon masher versus left-handed pitching. He'll face Matt Moore. While he isn't a world beater, Phegley's career .269/.297
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 19
Foltynewicz, Ervin Santana, Ivan Nova, Ross Stripling, McHugh, Josh Tomlin
4. SaberSim Observations
Even though Jeff Locke is up against the terrible Braves, I can't summon the intestinal
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 31
, Jayson Werth, Danny Valencia, Josh Phegley, James Loney
Hitters (speed): Michael Taylor should be in the lineup for what may be Morgan's final start in the majors (for now). Taylor has six stolen bases
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 3
Also consider: Junior Guerra, Jeremy Hellickson, Nick Tropeano, Ervin Santana, Bartolo Colon, Ian Kennedy, Josh Tomlin, Chad Bettis
Pitchers to Exploit: The Mariners have a cohort of lefty
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 13
for positive effect.
Also consider: Brandon Finnegan, Juan Nicasio, Josh Tomlin, Ervin Santana
Pitchers to Exploit: Nathan Eovaldi often appears here as a starter to use. I'll take a hard pass
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 6
Chad and I acquire: Trevor Story, Josh Donaldson, Aaron Sanchez
Ben acquires: Nomar Mazara, Kyle Seager, Jake Odorizzi, Mark Zagunis
We've owned Mazara since before I joined
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 18
, I'm back and I've returned to action with a Josh Bell slash Metallica reference. Bell serves as a lesson in not overreacting to prospect call ups. We've been waiting on him all season because by all
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 10
3. Daily DFS
Early: Three games are early. None of the pitchers are flat out terrible with Gio Gonzalez, Jeremy Hellickson, Scott Kazmir, Josh Tomlin, and Jeff
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 15
Early: The Red Sox and Indians are chilling by themselves as the only early game. Too bad since Josh Tomlin and Drew Pomeranz make for an interesting matchup on both sides of the ball. They're both
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 16
or the outfield. The Bucs could easily bump Josh Harrison to third while sitting Jordy Mercer or a slumping Jung-ho Kang.
Also consider: Delino Deshields, Angel Pagan, Denard Span, Ben Revere, B.J. Upton
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 20
has a tough matchup versus the Indians. Josh Tomlin has struggled of late, and he's always homer prone. I expect Sanchez to get some serious run support.
I've been riding the Robbie Ray bargain
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 23
noshed five bangers in 40 August plate appearances.
Also consider: Mitch Haniger, Robbie Grossman, Derek Dietrich, Josh Bell
Hitters (speed): Michael Bourn is the latest baserunner to draw
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 24
options for a Thursday sub. Like most of the other guys I recommended.
Also consider: Trayce Thompson, Enrique Hernandez, Josh Bell, Adam Lind, Ezequiel Carrera, Robbie Grossman
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 29
to Exploit: It's my professional opinion that Josh Tomlin is fatigued. The 31-year-old hasn't tossed this many innings since 2011, and he's dealt with myriad injuries in the intervening years. Tomlin
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 1
Chisenhall, Josh Bell, Aaron Altherr, Pedro Alvarez
Hitters (speed): The Phillies are up against the stolen base prone Braves which means it's a good time to dust off Cesar Hernandez. He's a high
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 6
, Adam Lind, Gerardo Parra, Josh Bell, Stephen Vogt
Hitters (speed): Charlie Blackmon is dealing with back soreness. Since the Rockies basically need to win-out the season to make the postseason
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 7
Dickerson, Ryan Schimpf, Yangervis Solarte, Franklin Gutierrez, Josh Bell, Ryan Howard
Hitters (speed): We haven't talked much about Freddy Galvis who has a painful .236/.271/.393 line but also 16 home
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 13
Guyer, Justin Morneau, Melky Cabrera, Justin Bour, Tommy Joseph, Cameron Rupp, Josh Bell, Matt Joyce, Andrew Toles
Hitters (speed): The Phillies want to take a good, long look at Roman Quinn
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 14
Stack Targets: Sean Manaea, Junior Guerra, Rubby de la Rosa, Josh Tomlin, Tim Adleman, Anibal Sanchez, Tyler Duffey, Steven Brault, Jake Thompson, Jeff Hoffman
4. SaberSim Observations
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 16
Alvarez, Hyun-soo Kim, Josh Bell
Hitters (speed): Coors Field is huge which means lots of space for Travis Jankowski to run wild. I smell some multi-steal games in his near future.
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 22
Stack Targets: Jason Vargas, Ryan Vogelong, Josh Collmenter, Jose Urenda, Chris Tillman, Mike Fiers, Brett Anderson, Chase Anderson, Christian Friedrich, Tyler Chatwood, Ricky Nolasco
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 23
Vogelbach, Josh Bell, Welington Castillo, Rickie Weeks, Andrew Benintendi
Hitters (speed): If you snagged parts of the Phillies stolen base brigade for today, be sure to hang onto them
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 28
Hernandez, Michael Saunders, Josh Bell, David Freese, Chris Coghlan, Chris Young, Jayson Werth
Hitters (speed): It's best to target desperate teams. They're the ones still making things happen
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 30
be out of the Angels lineup tonight after getting hit on the shoulder blade. If so, Peacock has smooth sailing ahead. Count on only 5+ innings.
Stack Targets: Brent Suter, Ryan Merritt, Josh Smith
- 2014 Positional Power Rankings: Right Field
. Meanwhile, none of the projection systems worry that he'll strikeout more this season, despite whiffing at a rate that puts him side by side with noted whiffmasters Ryan Howard, Pedro Alvarez, and Josh
- Lessons From a Botched Yahoo Draft
- Nomination Strategy Guide
and pass on other useful players. The best cases are flawed players like Josh Hamilton who owners might pass on anyway.
In these sorts of drafts, owners will soon realize that they have a lot
- The Daily Grind: More Deadline Deals, Salazar, Nola
for Brett Phillips, Domingo Santana, Adrian Houser, and Josh Hader. This is a much stronger return than the one offered by the Mets.
Phillips is a dynamic prospect with a star ceiling. While he's
- The Final Daily Grind of 2016
, Josh Tomlin, Ian Kennedy
Pitchers to Exploit: The Twins continue to try Jose Berrios, mainly because they need somebody to start. Besides, Berrios was completely unchallenged in the minors
- Mailbag: Josh Hamilton vs Carlos Beltran
[Carlos] Beltran until the recent surgery (we don't have to announce our eight keepers until early March). But Josh Hamilton is also an option for me. So my question is - is it worth taking a shot
- Reviewing Brad Johnson's 2015 Bold Predictions
- One Night Only: Doc Halladay v. Big Johnson
Marlins: Josh Johnson (NERD: 10)
77.0 IP, 9.00 K/9, 2.81 BB/9, .286 BABIP, 48.5% GB, 4.8% HR/FB, 3.25 xFIP
Phils: Roy Halladay (NERD: 10)
93.0 IP, 7.45 K/9, 1.26 BB/9, .302 BABIP, 53.4% GB, 4.3
- Field of Streams: Episode 216 - Live With Brad Johnson Yet Again
Episode 216 - Live With Brad Johnson Yet Again
In this live broadcast, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss the retirement of Alex Rodriguez and Prince Fielder, Mike
- Field of Streams: Episode 186 - Live With The Return Of Brad Johnson
Episode 186 - Live With The Return Of Brad Johnson
The latest episode of “Field of Streams” is live!
In this episode, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss Brad's visit
- Field of Streams: Episode 201 - Live With The Return Of Brad Johnson (Again)
Episode 201 - Live With The Return Of Brad Johnson (Again)
In this live broadcast, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss the return of Francisco Cervelli, picking on Jacob
- Field of Streams: Episode 211 - Live With Brad Johnson Another Time
Episode 211 - Live With Brad Johnson Another Time
In this live broadcast, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss Tim Lincecum's notoriety in a bad way, a fun Ryan Schimpf
- Field of Streams: Episode 221 - Live With Brad Johnson: Director's Cut
Episode 221 - Live With Brad Johnson: Director's Cut
In this live broadcast, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss Yasiel Puig's future, Zach Britton's case for awards
- Field of Streams: Episode 245 - Live With Brad Johnson: Early Edition
Episode 245 - Live With Brad Johnson: Early Edition
In this live broadcast, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss Steve Clevenger being a dummy, the Orioles' fun gift
- GIF: Jim Johnson's Jim Johnson
Because Oriole Jim Johnson plays for the Orioles, there's a strong chance that no one -- perhaps besides his teammates and Buck Showalter and Buck Showalter's grizzled and nameless manservant
- Johnson's Domination
Johnson and his performance from 1999-2002.
For starters, here are some of his peripheral numbers in each of these seasons:
1999: 35 GS, 271.2 IP, 207 H, 75 ER, 70 BB, 364 K, 1.02 WHIP, 2.48 ERA
- Josh Donaldson
On June 13, when Josh Donaldson was sent down, his line was an astonishing .153/.160/.235. In exactly 100 plate appearances, he had 1 walk, and that was in that final June 13 game. He had 1