- Will Steinbrenner Beat Out Miller for HOF
of looking at the Veterans Committee vote, and specifically the absence of Marvin Miller from the Hall, the question comes down to either, “How can you not have Miller in the Hall of Fame?”, or “Miller’s
- Actual Thing: Bob Uecker Day in Wisconsin
“I was deeply honored this Saturday to deliver the official resolution to Bob Uecker at his radio booth at Miller Park. Bob's famous ‘Get up, Get up, Get Out of Here, Gone’ signature
- Bob Uecker Has the Opposite of Body Dysmorphia
The Brewers are placing a statue of maybe-literally-immortal Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker outside of Miller Park this summer -- nor, if the following tweet from Tom Haudricourt of the Journal
- Extry, Extry: Bob Uecker Interview to Run Friday
, Costas noted that some in the Miller Park crowd had begun to voice some displeasure.
"Bob, don't take it personally," Uecker said. "The booing will stop."
- Miller Time in Florida
Andrew Miller may have been the unluckiest pitcher in baseball in 2008.
Miller posted a 5.87 ERA in 107 innings, and eventually earned a ticket back to triple-A. However, Miller’s BABIP was .346
- Shelby Miller's Debut, Animated
Cardinals right-hander Shelby Miller was ranked fourth overall among all prospects by our Marc Hulet on his preseason top-100 list and within the top 10 on most other lists of that sort. Despite
- Andrew Miller's Vesting Option
- I would also accept "sneakiest" - one yet. As first reported by Alex Speier, Boston struck a deal with Andrew Miller that essentially circumvents the waiver process.
Here's the basics - Miller
- Andrew Miller's MLB Return
For a 26-year-old with an even 300 innings pitched in the majors, Andrew Miller has worn many labels throughout his career. He was a college ace at North Carolina and a top-10 pick by the Tigers
- Andrew Miller's Iffy Future
Andrew Miller has two articles linked on his page. One directs to a RotoGraphs piece written by the Talented Mr. Bendix and clicking the other will lead to a detailed look at the tallest rotations
- Is Shelby Miller ready?
Yes. No. Maybe? I don't know. 2012 has been an enigmatic year for the 21-year-old Texan. After being rated highly coming into the year Shelby Miller is the not-so-proud owner of a 5.19 ERA
- Brad Miller Is Worth Claiming
Unable to stomach Brendan Ryan and his .230 wOBA as the team's primary shortstop any longer, the Seattle Mariners have reportedly called up 23-year-old Brad Miller in an attempt to breathe some life
- The Found Poems of Bob Uecker
Today's edition of The Found Poems comes from WTMJ's April 20th broadcast of Colorado at Milwaukee. All words courtesy Mr. Bob Uecker.
Great Brewers shortstop
- Daily Graphing - Bob Howry
The Cubs have signed Bob Howry to a three year, 12 million dollar contract. For the past two years, Bob Howry has been one of the better relievers in the American League by posting back to back
- Audio: Bob Uecker Will Crush a Bee
In the following clip (from the WTMJ broadcast of Saturday's Brewers-Twins game), America learns that Bob Uecker loves three things -- and only three things -- as follow:
1. A Beautiful Spring Day
- Bob Hamelin: A Life
Even the aptly named Bob Hamelin, whose dumpy bottoms are forever burned into my memory, participated in the "best shape of his career" gimmick:
A Hamelin is born; a Hamelin dies.
- Bob Melvin, Forgotten Man
the hiring of Ausmus, 44, on Sunday, making him the only Jewish manager in Major League Baseball. Ausmus was a catcher for four teams in his playing days.
And poor Bob Melvin wakes up today, with a cup
- Bob Feller (1918-2010)
Sad news tonight as Bob Feller has passed away at the age of 92. Others will undoubtedly share fond stories and memories of Feller the human being, but here’s the statistical spin on one of the game
- Marvin Miller's Legacy, and the Decline of Labor
; — Interview with Marvin Miller, 2008, after asking the Hall of Fame to stop nominating him
Since Marvin Miller's death, there has been a small but respectful chorus of voices calling for Miller's
- Sam Miller Is the Boss of Word Clouds
It's without a trace of chagrin that I reproduce in these pages -- despite it having already been produced in everybody else's pages -- Sam Miller's word cloud experiment from his Angels Blog
- 2009 Impact Rookie: Adam Miller
What should we make of Adam Miller?
The right-handed pitching prospect has been frustrating the Cleveland Indians organization and its fans since he was selected out of a Texas high school
- Breaking down Brad Miller for 2014
Believe it or not, when I solicited future shortstop topics last week, the name that came up the most was Brad Miller of the Seattle Mariners.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Miller just fine, and I
- Andrew Miller and The Art of the Dumpster Dive
Facing one of the worst offenses in baseball last night, Andrew Miller yielded 10 baserunners, became the first pitcher to give up a home run to Orlando Hudson all season, and walked away
- Shelby Miller Gets Married, Pedicures
Sharing space with the lawyers, doctors, and management consultants with quirky artisanal side businesses in this weekend's New York Times weddings section was Shelby Miller, who married his
- Bob Uecker Has a Joke About Kauffman Stadium
It's possible that what Bob Uecker has about Kauffman Stadium is not, in fact, a joke, but rather a witticism. If not a witticism, there's the off chance that what he has, instead, is either a sally
- Should Bob Costas be the Next Commissioner?
of attention in the "Commish Search 2k14" (as it will surely be named) is one Robert Q. Costas, known to many as NBC Sports Anchor Bob Costas. Bob has had a long love affair with baseball, including
- Video: Bob Elliott's Going to Cooperstown
. And, so, when veteran Toronto Sun baseball scribe Bob Elliott got the call to Cooperstown, winning the 2012 J.G. Taylor Spink Award, Steve invited him into our studio for an interview. Now, Bob
- Daily Notes, Featuring the Miller's Tale
. Today's Complete Schedule
Featured Game: Milwaukee at Washington, 13:05 ET
Regarding the Original Miller's Tale
In Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, a miller tells a story about a carpenter
- Great Moments in Spectacles: Bob Hamelin
Bob Hamelin. An oldie, but a goodie.
A Great Moment In Spectacles, undoubtedly. And, yes, a most heinous crime against baseball cards, too.
Conservative Canadian props to my colleague
- D-Backs Can Bob Melvin
It took about 30 games for the first manager to get axed. The whispers were all around the last few days that Arizona manager Bob Melvin was off the heat seat onto the plastic chair hanging over
- Bob Uecker Reveals True Truth of Dempster Trade
For the lay fan, the circumstances surrounding the Ryan Dempster trade (or lack thereof) to Atlanta are what might be called "murky at best."
For Bob Uecker, however, everything is illuminated
- Bob Uecker Doesn't Really Care, Turns Out
Concerned and likely muscular reader Bryan, recognizing that the celebration of Bob Uecker is a cause worth dying and (maybe even more importantly) killing for, has alerted the editors of NotGraphs
- Daily Notes, Feat. a Summary of Shelby Miller's Debut
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. A Brief Note Regarding the Regular Season
2. Summary: Shelby Miller's First MLB Start
3. Forthcoming Games
- Bob Ross: NotGraphs Name Match (#1)
Who is he?
Major player in the PBS golden years and landscape painter extraordinaire? Freunde to all who would have him via the tele-waves? Creator of happy little trees, happy
- Audio: Make Checks Payable to Bob Uecker
Bob Uecker would like to remind the listener about the Milwaukee Braves Historical Association's 15th Annual Testimonial Dinner, to be held on May 6th at the Potawatomi Bingo Casino and honoring
- David Eckstein + Parks and Rec + Bob Loblaw
Let's do this math:
David Eckstein + Parks and Rec + Bob Loblaw = gritty; it always equals gritty
Well that's what happened:
Your browser does not support iframes.
Because Parks and Rec
- How Shelby Miller Resembles the Model Starting Pitcher
. Certainly, you wouldn't expect to see his name linked to that of a right-handed young starter with basically two pitches. In terms of scouting reports, Cliff Lee and Shelby Miller don't have a whole lot
- Duane Kuiper Enjoys Jon Miller... and a Bottle of Pinot
Strange thing. There's something in here about Duane Kuiper typing in 'FanGraphs' on a computer and a revealing Jon Miller popping up with a bottle of Pinot Noir. I can't make heads or tails
- Tony Cingrani, Shelby Miller and the Two-Pitch Approach
The rookies are taking over. After a handful of major-league starts, Tony Cingrani and Shelby Miller have exceeded early expectations. While they were never compared to each other in the minors, both
- Bob Melvin: Six Scouting Reports
“How does he get guys out?” That was my question for Bob Melvin at the Winter Meetings, and I asked it six times. I queried the Oakland skipper about three of his starters: Trevor Cahill, Gio
- Effective Andrew Miller Helping Boston's Bullpen
is the easiest way to change performance.
Among the replacements was former Miguel Cabrera trade bait Andrew Miller, who is finally starting to pitch like the sixth overall pick in the country is expected
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller, OC Register
-- Bandied About!
Sam Miller, OC Register
Finally, you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes or other feeder things.
Audio on the flip-flop. (Approximately 65 min play time.)
- Bob Uecker is a HOF Broadcaster, and Also Your Grandpa
, it pains me to bring up the fact that no matter what you're good at, you will not be as good at that thing as Bob Uecker is at calling baseball games. Sorry.
The story isn't the best one he's ever
- Ten Things I Know About Bob Anderson
1) He's serious.
2) He was involved in one of the craziest plays in the history of baseball.
3) The scoring of said play was: Walk; Musial out at 2B/3B-SS.
4) Bob Anderson had a 99 FIP
- Bob Uecker's Totally Real Genealogy of Homer Bailey
, as related by Brewers radio voice Bob Uecker:
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller of the OC Register
about Sam Miller of the OC Register. In this episode, Sam talks at some length about the effects of the Albert Pujols signing. Also discussed: why not to write a novel, lowered expectations.
- Bob Uecker on Sunscreen and Where It Shouldn't Go
Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker thinks that both Usinger's Famous Sausage and sunscreen are important things in this life. With regard to them meeting, however, his opinion is that, more or less
- Jesus Guzman and Andrew Miller: Mining the Minors
be a smart power and eligibility add in deep NL-only play. And of course, to keep his roster spot, he'll need to hit. But that's the one thing Guzman does well.
Andrew Miller, Red Sox SP/RP
- Bob Uecker's Totally True History of Western Metal
The sequence led Bob Uecker, the famous and wise radio voice of the Milwaukee Brewers, to provide -- for the benefit of both the home audience and broadcast partner Joe Block -- a totally true
- A Brief and Fictional Account of Meeting Bob Uecker
-- except it wasn't my wife in the next room, but radio voice of baseball's Milwaukee Brewers, Bob Uecker, instead.
"This is clearly absurd," I said. "You're supposed to be in Milwaukee, not in my
- Spotted: Chris Sabo Jersey at Miller Park
Went to the Brewers-Reds game last night at Miller Park. Decent amount of Reds fans there in a modest crowd (27,000-ish).
Often, I make a point of taking noticing the most popular jerseys worn
- Bob Uecker Has Some Ideas About Jockey Shorts
In what follows, radio voice of the Milwaukee Brewers Bob Uecker discusses jockey shorts and, before that, a scheme he's developed for relieving contest entrants of their winnings.
From the WTMJ
- Bob Brenly: You Were a Good Hitter
"Without a mustache, a man must make a name for himself with a bat."
Since time forever, Chicago Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly has joked good-humor'dly about how terrible a hitter he
- Audio: Bob Uecker and Dick Allen Together on Air
, then the leading candidates for that role would be Dick Allen and Bob Uecker, the former because he's a leisured gentleman; the latter, because he's an equally leisured gentleman.
- Q&A: Jon Miller, Hall of Fame Broadcaster
The voice is instantly recognizable. So is the easygoing style and depth of knowledge that makes him one of the best play-by-play announcers in baseball. No one calls a game quite like Jon Miller
- Q&A: Pete LaCock vs Bob Gibson [and Japan]
LaCock on battling Bob Gibson:
“Billy Williams had broken his ankle, so the team was looking for a left-handed hitter. I had been hitting the ball pretty well, so they brought me up
- Q&A: Bob Melvin, on Five Rookie Pitchers
Bob Melvin was named American League Manager of the Year after leading the overachieving Oakland A’s to a playoff berth. It was an honor well-deserved. The 51-year-old former big-league catcher knows
- Q&A: Bob McClure on Banny, Simba & Deception
Bob McClure won’t be returning as Kansas City’s pitching coach next year, but that's not for a lack of experience. The 59-year-old former southpaw reliever has plenty of that, having taken the mound
- Video: Andrew Miller's Entire Sunday Appearance in 30 Sec.
Andrew Miller pitched for Boston on Sunday, March 3rd, 2013, against the New York Yankees. He threw 15 pitches and struck out all three batters he faced. His entire appearance lasted just three
- Insta-Meme: Bob Ryan Has a Posse
- Audio: Bob Uecker Would Like One or Six Beers
That the evening might be a difficult one was not lost on veteran broadcaster and muscular bodyguard of leisure Bob Uecker, who informed the Listening Public how much beer would be a sufficient amount
- Daily Notes: Feat. No Fewer Than Two Graphs in re Shelby Miller
and prized right-hander Shelby Miller.
Regarding Shelby Miller, His Performance to Date
Regarding Shelby Miller's performance to date, it wouldn't be inaccurate at all to characterize it as excellent
- Brad Miller and Chris Getz: MI Waiver Wire Help
that perfect guy you're looking for, but you might find someone who will stick for the duration of the season such as...
Brad Miller, SEA |SS| Ownership: ESPN - 20.9% Yahoo - 13.0% CBS - 40.0
- From Busch to Miller, Kyle Lohse Finds a New Home
he put together last season.
The move to Miller Park will also do the right-hander no favors. While Busch Stadium doesn’t rival PETCO Park or Target Field as a pitcher-haven, it is more forgiving
- Dr. Bob Kelso Talks About Baseball from the Future
Scrubs's Dr. Bob Kelso) remained a baseball fan despite the sport's status as a relic. In explaining to young Ensign Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton) how broken, how downtrodden Stubbs would be should he
- Satchel Paige responds to Bob Nightengale and Stan Musial's grandson from beyond the grave (sort of)
to be the grandson of Stan Musial.”
-Bob Nightengale, earlier today, USA Today
Hi, I’m Satchel Paige (Ed. note: No, you aren’t. Shut up, Bates.). You might remember me from such "Mickey Mouse" antics