Sort by Date
- Brad Miller Is Worth Claiming
Unable to stomach Brendan Ryan and his .230 wOBA as the team's primary shortstop any longer, the Seattle Mariners have reportedly called up 23-year-old Brad Miller in an attempt to breathe some life
- Tightening Brad Miller's Leash
Brad Miller is no longer taking walks or getting hits. That’s obviously a problem, because it means he’s killing your team in average, failing to drive in runs and not getting on base to score runs
- Important Life Questions And Brad Miller
. I've been dealing with a lot of this philosophical life stuff recently, and it's been difficult.
I'm talking, of course, about Brad Miller, and it seems I'm not alone, as the baseball community
- Breaking down Brad Miller for 2014
Believe it or not, when I solicited future shortstop topics last week, the name that came up the most was Brad Miller of the Seattle Mariners.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Miller just fine, and I
- Miller Time And Tropicana
. It's also sometimes referred to as sweetened pisswater. Now that our mixology lesson is over, let's talk about Brad Miller in his new digs.
He comes with a few desirable attributes. Almost all
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 5/24
comps, but he's finally a real fantasy asset
Brad Johnson: he's a buy high candidate
Oliver: If Yankees fall out, % that Miller gets traded
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 8/2/16
Brad Johnson: Kinda shocked he wasn't traded. His immediate future is a big ol ???
Ronnie: Do you think Cleveland may have overpaid for Miller? Given what the Nats
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 5/3
: I have chapman coming back. good idea to deal Miller & E. Suarez for Lindor?
Brad Johnson: Seems light. You already have a good SS, upgrade elsewhere
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 8/23/16
Brad Johnson: young players usually handle that role better than free agent vets
BP: Sonny Gray worth a DL stash for next year
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 5/10
gavin: How does VV for Miller feel now that Chapman is back?
Brad Johnson: fair
Brad Johnson: VV is so
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 8/16/16
Karl Cheez: Is Andrew Miller worth starting over Diaz now that it seems Miller is going to be used situationally in CLE?
Brad Johnson: you really
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 9/20/16
(and the implosion last week) sort of hurt his value next year if there is no Miller/Chapman type coming?
Brad Johnson: No, hiring Jansen or Chapman hurts his value
- Brad Miller Becomes a Slugging Corner Infielder
, et al. That player is Rays shortstop Brad Miller.
Miller was traded from Seattle to Tampa Bay this offseason in the Nate Karns trade after three uninspiring seasons with the Mariners
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 4/19/16
it's a reasonable gamble
William: Stay w/Nicasio in a 14tm mixed?
Brad Johnson: Sure
Sean: Shelby Miller and Corey Dickerson
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 4/26/16
Brad Johnson: I do think they'll recover, but the damage is already done. You'll need to get lucky streaming high end relievers to make up for it
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 4/12/16
Transcript from Tuesday's chat!
Brad Johnson: Ok, I've opened the chat early since I forgot to set the queue to open. You should be able to post questions now
- Brad Miller Puts On Weight, Results To Be Determined
% increase in bat speed," Nathan found, and that sort of bat speed increase can lead to an increase of 4.3% in batted ball distance.
And so this year, Mariners shortstop Brad Miller decided to put
- Revisiting the Chris Taylor vs. Brad Miller Debate
to the start of the season, one player I was keeping a close eye on was Chris Taylor. Being stuck in a position battle with Brad Miller made him a questionable target, but I had confidence that he
- Brad Miller Now Likes Striking Out
I made a decision while trying to win a championship last season which I didn't regret at the time, but now must deal with. I traded for Brad Miller. I didn't want him. He was a throw in for a trade
- Relative Waiver Wire: Brad Miller, Aaron Hicks
a time or three. Those players are unlikely to capture imaginations, although an automatic dismissal is often hasty.
2B/SS Brad Miller, Seattle Mariners
Ownership: CBS 23% | Yahoo! 30
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 7/19/16
: he could fit there in 5 OF leagues2:12Brad Johnson: fringy until he plays every day2:12Dave Kingman: 12 team 5x5 keeper. I got offered both Miller and Chapman (neither at a good keeper price for next
- Brad Johnson Baseball Chat -- 4/3/14
explain 12:02Brad Johnson: Eno is on a plane to Jamaica12:02Comment From LenardLost Ramos and was offered Posey, Desmond, and Donaldson in return for Wright, Trumbo, and Gyorko. I can slide Brad Miller
- Brad Johnson's 10 Bold Predictions
a (lesser) shot at a sub-3.00 ERA. Let it be known that I'm disqualifying Shelby Miller and Hyun-Jin Ryu from the competition - Miller because his breakout was in 2012 and Ryu because he
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 6/21
: What are the chances Profar/Gallo get traded to the Yankees for Miller/Chapman?1:54Brad Johnson: very low1:54Brad Johnson: but I think the Yankees could get Mark Zagunis and Dan Vogelbach from
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 7/5/16
: If it was just Harvey and Puig, I'd say go for it1:06Gary: 12 team keeper - traded Duvall ($7) and Andrew Miller ($8) for Harvey ($14) right before Harvey was blown up again yesterday. Will I regret this trade
- Brad Johnson FanGraphs Chat - 11/3/16
Andrew Miller in 5 minutes. Impressive way to go out.12:25Brad Johnson: when I saw him flop backwards, I felt so bad for him. Thought for sure he was concussed. Replay shows he just lost his
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 6/28/16
Johnson: without knowing the keep situation on Britton, I'd probably pass on this2:38Avi: Brad, isn't the bone spur surgery at this point of the year a season ending injury?2:38Brad Johnson: surgery
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 8/30/16
of his second start4:33Brad Johnson: assuming it's Yahoo or another platform that lets you manage an illegal roster4:33Kevin: What the heck am I doing with Brad Miller on the cheap in my ottoneu
- The Daily Grind: Thor, Flande, Adonis, Miller
, Brad Miller was overhyped last year. However, he's quietly bounced back to do exactly what we always expected he'd do. A .245/.321/.399 slash is right in line with his projections. He's popped nine
- Bradding Miller
Too big of a reach on the title?
As I tend to do on Sundays when considering a topic for my Monday post on shortstops, I was perusing the leaderboards and settled on Brad Miller as today's topic
- Pitch Movement Benchmarks
- Miller's Tale
Spoiler Alert: We’re going to tell you two sentences from now where we come down on the subject of Brad Miller, enigmatic Mariner. Jump to the next paragraph if you don’t want to know until the end
- Brad Miller and Chris Getz: MI Waiver Wire Help
that perfect guy you're looking for, but you might find someone who will stick for the duration of the season such as...
Brad Miller, SEA |SS| Ownership: ESPN - 20.9% Yahoo - 13.0% CBS - 40.0
- Mixed League Waiver Wire: B.J. Upton, Brad Miller
to an inquiry about him indirectly, too see if they can still acquire him at a discount.
SS Brad Miller, Seattle Mariners
Ownership: CBS 32% | Yahoo! 29% | ESPN 3.8%
Eno and I talked about him on Tuesday
- Mixing Fantasy & Reality: Nunez & Miller
passed. If an owner has a big enough bench, they may want to pick up Arroyo as a handcuff for Nunez.
2017 Projection: 550 PA, .275 AVG, 12 HR, 30 SB, 70 Runs, 65 RBI
Brad Miller: 2017
- Field of Streams: Episode 196 - Live With Brad Johnson
, a crazy price on Carlos Correa, Brad Miller being too expensive for once, being too picky to go with Rockies options, and The Daily Grind Invitational.
Suggested DFS picks worth attention for Friday
- Field of Streams: Episode 156 – Live With Brad Johnson
Episode 156 - Live With Brad Johnson
The latest episode of “Field of Streams” is live!
In this episode, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss picking against Shelby
- Some Belated Thoughts on the Miller-Karns Deal
with plenty of years of control remaining, shortstop Brad Miller and starting pitcher Nate Karns. I agree with most of Dave Cameron's thoughts in the immediate wake the trade: one's opinion
- Jesus Guzman and Andrew Miller: Mining the Minors
the call as the Padres departed for American League ballparks in Minnesota and Boston. But he's in the bigs to do more than simply hold down the DH role through interleague play, as Brad Hawpe (finger
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 5/17
Here's the transcript of today's chat. Lot's of fun topics.
Breakout Stars..?: Brandon Drury, Danny Valencia?
Brad Johnson: What are you looking
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat – 8/9/16
to suggest more power ROS. JBJ has the production though. Which do you like? Thanks!
Brad Johnson: Polanco seems to have a couple nagging injuries. I'd go with the healthier
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 5/31
Here's the transcript from today's chat.
Brad Johnson: Hey everyone, I'm running just a couple minutes behind. We'll get started soon.
- Brad Johnson's 10 Timid Predictions
timid predictions for the 2016 season.
1. Brad Boxberger will miss approximately eight weeks - and possibly more
Reports from sources both myriad and sundry state that Brad Boxberger
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 9/13/16
:01EB: Hey Brad. Hope all is well. I'm in contention in my AL-only league and it's slim pickings on the waiver wire in terms of SP. I would greatly appreciate if you could please rank the following
- Brad Johnson's 10 Bold Predictions
, but he has to seize it before the Phillies roster other players like Jeff Francoeur (in camp as an NRI) or add external talent. If he does play, the stolen bases should follow.
9. Brad Boxberger
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 6/7
/aren't inspiring.1:49Brad Johnson: Try Merrifield until he turns pumpkin1:50Brad Johnson: Rajai will keep playing and shouldn't cost much1:50Bossman Junior: Hi Brad. With Leonys Martin coming back
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat 7/26/16
. Posey replacement would be Norris or Joseph.2:03Brad Johnson: I'd probably go Sale, depends on your category needs though2:03Jimmer: Hi Brad! When Orlando Arcia gets called up, where do he and Jonathan
- Brad Johnson's 10 Bold Predictions
- Brad Johnson RotoGraphs Chat - 4/5/16
- The Hot Stove And Fantasy Baseball
, but I didn't pull the trigger until Hernandez's owner included Andrew Miller and Trevor Rosenthal as throw-ins. Adding the pair to my existing closers - Luke Gregerson and Brad Boxberger - earned me
- Field of Streams: Episode 245 - Live With Brad Johnson: Early Edition
Episode 245 - Live With Brad Johnson: Early Edition
In this live broadcast, Dylan Higgins and Brad Johnson do a live recording to discuss Steve Clevenger being a dummy, the Orioles' fun gift
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 17
, Brad Miller, Jonathan Villar
6. The Factor Grid
The table below indicates which stadiums have the best conditions for hitters today. The color coding is a classic stoplight where green equals go
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 1
, and Yangervis Solarte mashed throughout July.
Also consider: Aaron Hill, Franklin Gutierrez, Chase Utley, Preston Tucker, Derek Dietrich, Brad Miller, Melky Cabrera, Justin Morneau
- Orioles Land Andrew Miller from busy Red Sox
Webb and Brad Brach have flashed potential at times as well, though neither gets the strikeouts requisite for being elite in a bullpen role.
In adding Miller to this group, but not adding
- The Daily Grind: 9-8-14 - Presented by FanDuel
at Miller Park. The Mariners will see Brad Peacock with Felix Hernandez on the bump.
3. Tuesday Picks
Pitchers to Start: Trevor Bauer should provide decent numbers against the Twins. More
- The Daily Grind: Doom, Owens, Severino, Rodon
Unless your league is very shallow, none of them are expected to miss enough time to warrant a cut. Luckily second base is extraordinarily deep this season. Brad Miller, Didi Gregorius
- Reviewing Brad Johnson's 2015 Bold Predictions
the Phillies with 3.9 WAR. He also fell four stolen bases short of my projection.
1-f0r-8 (5 almosts)
9. Brad Boxberger will save at least 35 games
Well there's no uncertainty here. Boxberger
- The Daily Grind: 4-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
DFS format where you're playing against a wide field of competition, it can help to have runs scored and RBI double counted. When Robinson Cano drives in Brad Miller, you get a point for Cano's RBI
- The Daily Grind: 5-15-14
Gillaspie to the pool against Collin McHugh.
Hitters (speed): Chris Denorfia looks attractive against Jorge de la Rosa.
With Kyle Gibson on the mound, Mariners lefties lefties like Brad Miller
- Reliever Strategy Musings
, Jenrry Mejia, Brad Boxberger, Andrew Miller, or another good reliever. En route to settling on those names, I handled shares of Nick Vincent, Brett Cecil, Casey Fien, and Aaron Barrett. Those four had
- Fun With Reliever Leaderboards
southpaws. Unsurprisingly, Chapman takes the crown with a ridiculous 51.2 percent K%-BB%. Overall, he struck out 58 percent of lefties. Andrew Miller ranks second after his glorious breakout season
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 23
to give him a whirl versus Sanchez.
Also consider: Franklin Gutierrez, Dae-ho Lee, Brandon Drury, Welington Castillo, Melky Cabrera, Danny Valencia, Ryon Healy, Brad Miller, Corey Dickerson, Logan
- Five Potential Breakouts
don't be surprised if he's finding a lot of playing time early on. Keep an eye out on how often he starts and how he performs, he could be a post-draft steal.
Brad Miller, SS, Seattle Mariners
- The FSWA Draft And H2H Wrinkles
My very first selection was Bryant with the fourth overall pic. I've been among his greatest skeptics, but this seemed like a good format
- Elite, Non-Closers in the 22nd Round
despite an injury. I have Giles penciled in for 15 saves.
The next reliever off the board was Yankees lefty Andrew Miller. Like Giles, his 2014 walk rate was half that of his career. Unlike Giles
- The Daily Grind: 7-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
of meltdowns this season, so don't rule out a high scoring game.
Brad Hand is once again troubled by walks. It's an old problem for the 24-year-old lefty, but I do think he'll eventually shake
- The Daily Grind: 8-23-14 - Presented by FanDuel
is hopelessly unpredictable. I'm starting him in a few leagues where I need the upside, but I can also see the Astros as a decent stack to fade.
Remember everything I wrote about Shelby Miller
- The Daily Grind: Eaton, Salazar, Chi-Chi
Rollins, Shane Victorino, Stephen Piscotty, Khris Davis, Chris Coghlan, Seth Smith, Ryan Raburn, Chris Johnson, Trevor Plouffe
Hitters (speed): Brad Miller has quietly accomplished what was expected
- The Shortstop Mine Field
need to address a couple guys who slipped through the cracks in the first run.
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streamers, and More for April 23
the easier opponent. Beware, the game is at Miller Park.
Stack Targets: Tyler Chatwood, Straily, Tyler Wilson, Rubby de la Rosa, Jhoulys Chacin, Jake Peavy, Juan Nicasio
3. SaberSim Observations
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 6
are the latest team to draw Jamie Moyer Jered Weaver. Brad Miller has shown signs of life recently, going .318/.400/.591 in his last eight games. He's moved up to second in the order against right-handed
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 23
from the Brewers' high whiff rate, but it's hard to feel too confident about a visitor at hitter friendly Miller Park.
Stack Targets: Albert Suarez, Bryan Mitchell, Edwin Jackson, Yovani Gallardo
- Out of Nowhere: Breakout Candidates at Shortstop
be ready to breakout.
In 2016, Eduardo Nunez, Brad Miller, Marcus Semien, Didi Gregorius, and Asdrubal Cabrera greatly exceeded expectations. Let's give a nod to Freddy Galvis and Chris
- The Cardinals Rotation
and expected roles.
You know Wainwright. He's the guy who terrifies his opponents with excellent control and a devastating curve ball
- Reviewing Brad Johnson's 2016 Bold Predictions
- Risers and Fallers From Week One
did nothing in Florida.
Justin Smoak (up): Regression looms, but I'm not sure anyone really factored how nice it would be for Smoak to bat with runners on base. The top three of Almonte, Brad
- The Daily Grind: 5-3-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. As is Josmil Pinto beans.
Maybe George Springer will finally light up the scoreboard against Maurer.
Hitters (speed): Brad Miller and Michael Saunders could be worth a peek against McHugh.
- A Place To Celebrate
. Continuing the reliever theme, Wade Davis, Dellin Betances, Brad Boxberger, and Andrew Miller put in frequent appearances on my rosters.
I managed to scrounge a filthy rotation off the waiver wire
- The Sundry Ways I Use The Auction Calculator
want to roster cost? Often, that last question is a negative value - I'm completely comfortable with Brad Miller, but he goes undrafted in 12-team mixed formats. In ultra-deep leagues, it's good
- The Daily Grind: Jim Abbott, Chen, Velasquez, Steve Holt!
, Blanks is a fly ball hitter. With a sky high strikeout rate, he's an all-or-nothing play. A home run is quite possible.
Also consider: Derek Norris, Justin Maxwell, Brad Miller, Andrelton Simmons
- The Daily Grind: Hutchison, Urena, Buxton
against him this season (.413 wOBA). Ouch. The Mariners have plenty of freely available lefty bats, headlined by Seth Smith, Logan Morrison, and Brad Miller.
Also consider: Matt Duffy, Domingo
- The Daily Grind: Trade Foibles, May, Nicolino, Rosario
is useful. Overall, he's a mediocre player in a good role.
Also consider: Brad Miller, Seth Smith, Preston Tucker, Jason Castro, David DeJesus, Justin Turner, Alex Guerrero, Scott Van Slyke, Mike
- The Daily Grind: Trades, Nelson, Heaney, Valencia
all against right-handed pitching. Nevertheless, Valencia has murdered lefties to the tune of .404/.440/.511 (.487 BABIP).
Also consider: Seth Smith, Brad Miller, Logan Morrison, Mark Canha, Chris
- Accountability Corner: DFS Performance And Observations
make $700 on Brad Miller's two home run day). Personally, I think my general process is just fine, but I'm on the hunt for ways to distinguish myself from the pack.
Speaking of the pack, it's my
- Rankings Are Coming: My Personal Quirks
to me, it's just not the process I used.
So, in my top 125 outfielders, you will see multi-position players ranked ahead of better outfielders. Schwarber, Ben Zobrist, Brad Miller, and Danny
- Industry Mocking Gold
closers were not even selected like Brad Ziegler, Steve Cishek, J.J. Hoover, and David Hernandez. Not that I would have picked them.
I often fluff off the catching position, but I actually addressed
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 2
Raburn, Brad Miller, James Loney, Jayson Werth
Hitters (speed): With Finnegan on the bump for the Reds, it should be a Michael Taylor day for the Nationals. Taylor is a true multi-threat tomorrow
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 17
also doesn't draw walks which is a big reason why he wasn't already on the active roster.
Also consider: Chris Young, Mark Reynolds, Ryan Raburn, Chase Utley, Howie Kendrick, Logan Morrison, Brad
- Excuse Me! Five Soft Contact Kings
soft contact rates. Addison Russell, Brad Miller, and Hanley Ramirez jump off the page.
Jurickson Profar debuted as a 19-year-old in 2012. Shoulder injuries held him out for all
- 2016 End of Season Rankings: First Base
- Fantasy Busts and Opportunities: AL West
and domineering stuff when Familia returns, it's going to be awfully hard to demote him. The best use case for Familia owners is if the Mets decide to use Reed like Andrew Miller.
- April Meltdowns Bring May Flowers
also has big upside if he can stay healthy. Once he halves his walk rate, he'll look a lot better.
Shelby Miller - He's trending in the wrong direction, which might mean that it's actually time
- The Daily Grind: 5-1-14 - Presented by FanDuel
): Perhaps Josh Satin will play against Jorge de la Rosa? Perhaps not. It's a guess.
The Brad Miller, Kyle Seager, Justin Smoak trio might be worth engaging.
Brian Dozier's cropped up in a couple
- The Daily Grind: 5-6-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Michael Brantley is a middle of the order bat at the moment. His matchup tomorrow is lovely.
Hitters (speed): Michael Saunders and Brad Miller are good targets for a swipe
- The Daily Grind: 5-17-14 - Presented by FanDuel
be in the lineup.
Michael Saunders, James Jones, and Brad Miller could also swipe a base.
The table below indicates which stadiums have the best conditions for hitters today. The color coding
- The Daily Grind: 5-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. Michael Brantley, Lonnie Chisenhall, David Murphy, and Nick Swisher are four you might find on your waiver wire.
Hitters (speed): James Jones, Michael Saunders, and Brad Miller remain interesting
- The Daily Grind: 8-5-14 - Presented by FanDuel
like Josh Tomlin a lot. In fact, I'm using him all over the place. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a fly ball pitcher with a high HR/FB ratio. Long balls are a DFSer's friend.
- The Daily Grind: 8-14-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. He profiles as an adequate major league pitcher whose high fly ball rate will result in plenty of home runs. He belongs in Miami or San Francisco, not Miller Park (to avoid confusion, today's game
- The Daily Grind: 8-15-14 - Presented by FanDuel
against the Astros (9 IP shutout, 10 K).
Trevor Cahill versus Brad Hand is yet another recipe for runs. Too bad we're baking them in the wrong dish (Marlins Stadium).
The Angels face Nick
- The Daily Grind: Steals, Eickhoff, Tomlin, Gutierrez
of Seth Smith or Brad Miller. He'll bat eighth or ninth if he plays.
Also consider: Ender Inciarte, Ketel Marte, Stephen Piscotty, Rusney Castillo
5. The Factor Grid
The table below indicates
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 8
Brad Johnson Comments About Taillon
The Daily Grind Invitational and Leaderboard
1. Brad Johnson
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 30
, Hunter Renfroe, Corey Dickerson, Brad Miller, Kevin Kiermaier, Adonis Garcia, Dansby Swanson, Max Kepler, Tyler Naquin, Lonnie Chisenhall, Chase Utley
Hitters (speed): Raimel Tapia is overdue
- The Daily Grind: 4-2-13 - Presented by FanDuel
To accomplish a first place finish, I needed Brad Miller (or Howie Kendrick) to deliver an RBI hit and score a run. Miller made it easy by popping a ninth inning, two-run bomb. My opponents also made it easy
- The Daily Grind: 7-30-14 - Presented by FanDuel
exploitable among the early pitchers is lefty Brad Hand. He's opposed by a lefty-mashing Nationals lineup. Hand walks more guys than he should, which increases the damage against him.
- The Daily Grind: 8-22-14 - Presented by FanDuel
a pitcher's value quickly. Just ask Jose Fernandez.
2. Daily DFS
Early: Kevin Gausman and Jake Arrieta hog the early slot. DFS owners can forget about them.
Late: Brad Peacock
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 7
available in 62 percent of Yahoo leagues. I suggest remedying that oversight versus overrated lefty John Lamb.
Also consider: Aaron Hicks, Brad Miller
5. The Factor Grid
The table below
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 28
Also consider: Cameron Rupp, Cody Asche, Derek Norris, Chase Utley, Travis Shaw, Brad Miller
Hitters (speed): Cesar Hernandez is batting leadoff, running frequently, and he's opposed
- Out of Nowhere: 2017 Breakout Candidates at First Base
, five of the eight were outfield eligible. You probably drafted and used Murphy as a second baseman.
Some of the other top first basemen like Kris Bryant, Todd Frazier, Kendrys Morales, Brad Miller
- Way Too Early Rankings: Shortstop
- Way Too Early Rankings: Relief Pitchers
Honestly, any combination of the top five should lead to happy results
- Tinkering With Ottoneu Arbitration Selections
players. With that in mind, Andrew Miller, Julio Teheran, Brian Dozier, Daniel Murphy, Sonny Gray, Jose Fernandez, and Jorge Soler look like odd choices. In reviewing the picks of others, a few noteworthy
- Managing Injured Players
expected production when he returns relative to waiver wire replacements
The first two bullets may seem related, but they're distinct points of analysis. Andrew Miller missed
- A Collection of Five Category Hitters
- Way Too Early Rankings: Starting Pitcher
as an Andrew Miller-style reliever.
Richards, Liriano, McCarthy, Gray, Cobb, and Lynn are wild cards. All but Liriano missed most of 2016 with injuries. As for Liriano, he morphed into a top 30 pitcher
- The Daily Grind: Fear, Duffey, Ross, Span
loves Shelby Miller against the Rockies. I never use Miller, especially not for $8,300.
For $6,800, you can roll the dice with Patrick Corbin. To say he's been frustrating is an understatement
- Blockbusting Ottoneu Style
costs due to a wide availability of free platoon fielders.
- Yankees Playing Time Battles: Pitchers
to sign Alfredo Simon.
Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller, Dellin Betances - woof. Miller and Betances often throw more than one frame. This combination will lock down a lot of four inning saves
- The Daily Grind: 4-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Ethier or Juan Uribe?
Maybe Bobby Abreu will start against Kyle Kendrick.
You can try Kyle Seager, Justin Smoak, or Brad Miller against Phelps in New York. They'll be aiming at the short porch
- The Daily Grind - 5-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
. Kelly Johnson and Yangervis Solarte will try to dink one down the line.
Matt Joyce and David DeJesus, come on down.
And while we're at it, let's see Michael Saunders, Justin Smoak, and Brad
- The Daily Grind: 5-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
will face Cosart.
Hitters (speed): Just as with Stubbs, Brandon Barnes should start. Charlie Blackmon sometimes blocks one of them from action.
Mariners speed-based lefties like James Jones and Brad
- The Daily Grind: 5-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
You could try George Springer against Tyler Skaggs.
Justin Smoak has a rare favorable matchup.
Hitters (speed): James Jones, Michael Saunders, and Brad Miller also appear usable
- The Daily Grind: 6-25-14 - Presented by FanDuel
for a long time. This year, he's working with a 5.12 ERA and 3.86 FIP. DIPS theory says he'll be better. Years of experience say otherwise.
Brad Mills is a bit of an unknown quantity. It's hard to gauge
- The Daily Grind: 7-7-14 - Presented by FanDuel
for fantasy owners. Today's game is at homer friendly Miller Park. Phillies hitters should be cheap - and with good reason - so you may want to patch in a guy or two.
I want to stack against Tyler Matzek
- The Daily Grind: 7-9-14 - Presented by FanDuel
100% deposit bonus up to $200. Click here to win your seat ticket.
1. More Closer Notes
Yesterday we talked about Brad Boxberger and the Rays bullpen. A few other 'pens are unsettled
- The Daily Grind: 8-4-14 - Presented by FanDuel
suspect they'll jump on Kendrick early before he settles in.
The Pirates will see Brad Hand. He was somebody I was mildly excited about headed into the season, but his peripherals have been terrible. I
- The Daily Grind: 8-21-14 - Presented by FanDuel
it's unlikely that's an accurate representation of the club.
Pitchers to Exploit: I'd take offense on either side of the Cardinals-Phillies game. St. Louis will start "broken" Shelby Miller
- The Daily Grind: 9-12-14 - Presented by FanDuel
to Exploit: Today doesn't have a Ranger of the Day, but tomorrow sure does. It's Scott Baker's turn to look bad in Texas. The Braves, however, are kind of terrible against northpaws.
Lefty Brad Hand
- The Daily Grind: 9-13-14 - Presented by FanDuel
With the obvious exception of Teheran, the rest of the pitchers in this contest have good days and bad days. They're all playing in hitter friendly stadiums. Good luck.
Late: Brad Hand versus Kyle
- Lessons From A Mock: Round Two
- The Daily Grind: Bankroll, Graveman, Anderson, Stubbs
Brad Miller. However, the result is that I've never really been forced to carefully manage my bankroll. As such, all of the below advice is hypothetical.
I've seen other sites recommend that you
- The Daily Grind: Weaver, Salazar, Grandal
percent of Yahoo leagues. The switch-hitter will face right hander Jordan Lyles. Dodger Stadium is friendly to left-handed power, so Grandal could pop one.
Also consider: Seth Smith, Brad Miller, Gerardo
- The Daily Grind: Travis, Padres, Haren
recommendations. Use this link for Jeff's full list.
Half of the Mariners lineup likes fly ball pitchers, so they have a good matchup with Brad Peacock and the Astros. Kyle Seager and Mike Zunino
- The Daily Grind: Jimenez, Martinez, House
of House and we have a recipe for cheap production.
Also consider: Seth Smith, Dustin Ackley, Brad Miller, Ryan Raburn, Daren Ruf, Jeff Francoeur
Hitters (speed): Jake Marisnick is becoming
- The Daily Grind: E-Rod, Porcello, Taylor
(ooh). More cost effective options include A.J. Burnett, Shelby Miller, Carlos Carrasco, Lance Lynn, Noah Syndergaard, Clay Buchholz, and even Mike Wright.
On pitching rich days like these, I
- The Daily Grind: More Trades, Hendricks, Bettis
likely to be a no-platoon guy than a reverse platoon hitter.
Also consider: Mike Napoli, Yonder Alonso, Seth Smith, Brad Miller, Logan Morrison, Cody Asche, Ryan Howard, John Mayberry, Chris Coghlan
- The Daily Grind: True Innings, Aces, Hicks
still like to see more power - at least doubles if not home runs.
Also consider: Tyler Saladino, Odubel Herrera, Will Venable, Brad Miller
5. The Factor Grid
The table below indicates which
- The Daily Grind: Bartolo, Matz, Lorenzen
offense. Colon is the kind of guy who can be hittable against any opponent. He's evenly matched against Shelby Miller. Yes, they are the same. In different ways.
As we discussed today on the Field
- The Daily Grind: Bullpen Games, Strasburg, Koehler, Wolf
, Clint Robinson, Stephen Piscotty, Brandon Moss, Seth Smith, Brad Miller, Marlon Byrd, Jimmy Rollins, Howie Kendrick, A.J. Ellis
Hitters (speed): A.J. Burnett is one of the most stolen base prone
- My Favorite Closer Sleepers - AL Edition
these guys as elite sources for holds or handcuffs to unstable closers. Yesterday's post covered the NL, today we move to the AL.
Andrew Miller will start the season as the Yankees closer
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 14
in any keeper format that rewards waiver wire pickups. Clear? He's not a guy to stream, he's a guy to own.
Also consider: Logan Morrison, Brad Miller, Franklin Gutierrez, Dae-ho Lee, Chris
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 18
by Hyun-soo Kim and Pedro Alvarez visiting Yankee Stadium against suddenly homer prone Nate Eovaldi.
Also consider: Avisail Garcia, Melky Cabrera, Franklin Gutierrez, Ji-Man Choi, Daniel Nava, Brad
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 20
Also consider: Danny Valencia, Ryon Healy, Brad Miller, Jace Peterson, Jedd Gyorko, Chris Carter, John Jaso
Hitters (speed): Tim Anderson to leadoff versus Pelfrey? Yes please and thank you.
- The Daily Grind, DFS, Streaming, and More for July 22
in the Diamondbacks lineup. He bats either fifth or sixth. With Sampson on the bump and Great American Ballpark in play, Drury is a solid bet for a home run.
Also consider: Danny Valencia, Ryon Healy, Brad Miller
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 29
lefties this season.
Also consider: Rickie Weeks, Chase Utley, Aaron Hill, Eugenio Suarez, Zack Cozart, Alex Dickerson, Avisail Garcia, Melky Cabrera, Jose Ramirez, Brad Miller
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 2
, Jake Smolinski, Howie Kendrick, Austin Barnes, Ezequiel Carrera, Brad Miller, Jedd Gyorko,
Hitters (speed): While I expect Hernan Perez to regress back into obscurity, there's no reason to avoid him
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 3
was having a terrible time at the plate prior to his most recent injury. He's opposed by Finnegan.
Also consider: Brad Miller, Scott Schebler, Tommy Joseph, Pedro Alvarez, Hyun-soo Kim, Stephen Vogt
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 4
, Pedro Alvarez, Hyun-soo Kim, Brad Miller,
Hitters (speed): You may have missed your chance to add Hernan Perez, but it's only a short term loss. He's a true talent 90 wRC+ hitter with above
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 5
Zunino, Alex Dickerson, Yangervis Solarte, Ryan Schimpf, Derek Dietrich, Preston Tucker, Wilmer Flores, Brad Miller
Hitters (speed): Rajai Davis has been slumpy. However, I can report that he's still
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for August 19
Kendrick, Tucker Barnhart, Aaron Hill, Derek Dietrich, Matt Joyce, Brad Miller
Hitters (speed): Tim Anderson has finally been bussed to the bottom of the White Sox lineup where he belongs. He's
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 6
easy victory opposite Brad Peacock. The worst case for Kluber always includes a couple mistakes sailing out of the ball park. Even if he coughs up four runs over six innings, he'll probably still earn
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 12
Gee, Rafael Montero, Shelby Miller, Mat Latos, Doug Fister, Martin Perez, Wade Miley, Miguel Gonzalez, Andrew Cashner, Wily Peralta, Mike Leake, Daniel Norris, Ricky Nolasco, Ervin Santana, Francisco
- Way Too Early Rankings: First Base
- 2016 End of Season Rankings: Shortstop
- Some Thoughts Regarding Holds
, they lose their holds (and gain saves).
This dynamic can reward the ol' running back handcuff approach. If you roster Dellin Betances and Andrew Miller next season, you should get plenty of saves
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 23
at Miller Park. I actually like Nelson so it's pleasing to recommend him at the Triple-A Gwinett Braves. Turner Field is much better for slightly homer prone pitchers than Milwaukee.
Also consider: Ervin
- Lessons Learned From a Shallow Linear Weights Draft
, the draft pool is very deep. The biggest problem with my draft plan is that I didn't account for replacement levels correctly. I took Alex Cobb with my sixth pick and Shelby Miller with my seventh. I
- The Daily Grind: 7-26-14 - Presented by FanDuel
this season, and he'll probably be competing without his best.
Shelby Miller would be a good stacking target if he weren't visiting the Cubs. Considering the paucity of alternatives, throw a couple
- The Guys I Own The Most
Multiple Times (8 Teams)
- The Daily Grind: Peavy Conley, Bour, Ketel
, and Syndergaard have the three top projections of the day. Greinke is next best. Shelby Miller and Erik Johnson are ranked sixth and seventh. Miller's strong projection caught me off guard. The Cardinals
- When Plan A Fails
. In the interim, he can also be used as a valuable throw-in.
$32 Jake Arrieta
$5 Andrew Miller
$3 Danny Valencia
$17 Jon Lester
$15 Alex Cobb
$4 Frankie Montas
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 27
Thus far, trade deadline week has produced two winners - Andrew Miller and Alex Dickerson. With respect to Melvin Upton, what he gains in supporting cast and ballpark, he more than loses
- Sunday Notes: Richie Martin, Miller's HRs, Gordon, Twins, more
to be “not too aware.” He does pride himself in being a well-rounded player. He always has. Going all the way back to high school, it’s “how I’ve molded my game.”
When Brad Miller was featured
- Sunday Notes: Giants' Law, Twins' May, Miller's Pop, January, more
infielders have reached double figures in home runs. Eleven more have at least seven home runs.
Brad Miller is among them. In his first season with Tampa Bay, the former Mariner has already left the yard
- 2016 End of Season Rankings: Relief Pitchers
- Top 100 Spring Hitters by OPS
- The Daily Grind: 6-2-14 - Presented by FanDuel
and an unimpressive walk rate. He needs to improve his peripherals long term. For now, he's mostly showing up here because Miller Park is a nice offensive haven. His matchup against the Brewers isn't
- The Other Way to Build a Team
- The Daily Grind: Final Trades, Ross, Garcia
about 10 percent fewer home runs and RBI than you would have in Detroit.
I'm thrilled about Gerardo Parra's arrival in Baltimore. While Miller Park and the Brewers lineup were both healthy homes
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 5
. It smells reasonable to me. The most important note is that very little separates Cueto's projection from 11th best Heaney. You'll find Bettis and Shelby Miller ranked fourth and fifth in the night contest
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 20
improved dramatically, like very dramatically, he's not a starting pitcher. I picked Ross, but SaberSim has Wei-Yin Chen defeating the Nats.
The best stacks are at Miller Park and Camden Yards. I
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 21
, Ricky Nolasco, John Danks, Cody Anderson, Tom Koehler, Taylor Jungmann, Shelby Miller, Jered Weaver, Nate Karns
Late: Dallas Keuchel's velocity was still down in his latest outing, but at least he
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 22
matchups. Nola will challenge a decent but beatable Brewers lineup at homer happy Miller Park. Sanchez also has to survive a homer friendly venue at home against the A's.
Stack Targets: Jon Gray
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 3
. Praise the gods.
At another point, I had the opportunity to add a keepable $32 Jake Arrieta with $5 Andrew Miller, which I executed. I didn't have budget for the guys I already had, let alone
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 24
and 4.50 xFIP. I'll bet on the Nationals at Miller Park. Too bad none of them are really streamable.
Also consider: R.A. Dickey, Miguel Gonzalez, Anibal Sanchez, Brandon Finnegan, Shelby Miller, Jorge
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 22
. He still can rack up the strikeouts, but he's been homer prone in the AL (1.88 HR/9).
Also consider: Bryan Mitchell, Shelby Miller, Yovani Gallardo, Miguel Gonzalez, Andrew Cashner, Matt Wisler
- Continuing Coverage of Joe Kelly, or Kelly's Wild Night
of continuing coverage.
There was some controversy about Mike Matheny's choice of Kelly over rookie sensation Shelby Miller, making this an interesting game for second guessers and armchair managers
- Stolen Topic: Three Players I Won't Draft
enough. However, that puts him alongside James Shields, Gerrit Cole, Michael Wacha, Shelby Miller, Julio Teheran, and Alex Cobb. That's an impressive list of young players with high upside anchored by one
- The Daily Grind: 9-22-14
and Chris Coghlan seem like fine gambles against Shelby Miller.
Perhaps Robbie Grossman will do some damage against Martinez.
The table below indicates which stadiums have the best
- Doubling Up With Jonathan Lucroy
, Brian McCann socked 23 home runs with a 280 foot average fly ball. And lest you think it's purely park effects, Miller Park is quite home run friendly.
He managed 655 plate appearances by mixing
- The Daily Grind: Ross, Shoemaker, Baker
are half of them:
Buster Posey and Justin Maxwell vs. Josh Collmenter
Ruben Tejeda, Michael Cuddyer, and Travis d'Arnaud vs. Shelby Miller
Howie Kendrick and Andre Ethier vs Ian Kennedy
- The Daily Grind: Farmer, Rodon, Welington
DeJesus vs Marco Estrada
Denard Span vs Shelby Miller
A.J. Pollock vs David Hale
Russell Martin vs Nate Karns
Adam LaRoche, Adam Eaton, Jose Abreu, Geovany Soto vs Phil Hughes
4. Tomorrow's Targets
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streamers, and More for April 16
keep track of such things with respect to Koehler.
We FanGraphs folks tend to hate on Shelby Miller. Nothing wrong with using him against the Padres. They've now scored a whopping six runs in eight
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 12
Perez, R.A. Dickey, Jon Gray, Shelby Miller
Hitters (power): Most Mets are owned at a high rate. Asdrubal Cabrera is the exception due to modest across-the-board production. He's worth activating
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 13
, Andrew Cashner, Martin Perez, Shelby Miller, R.A. Dickey, Luis Severino, Julio Teheran, Justin Verlander, Chris Tillman, Josh Tomlin
4. SaberSim Observations
We have some interesting results today
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 24
Chacin, Andrew Cashner, Shelby Miller, R.A. Dickey, Doug Fister, Matt Harvey, Martin Perez, Julio Teheran, Josh Tomlin
3. SaberSim Observations
Sale, Price, Strasburg, Francisco Liriano
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 9
to a cage fight. Surprise! There's a tiger nicknamed Miller Park in the cage. These are typically low risk, low reward pitchers. Pitching in Milwaukee increases the risk without improving the reward
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 17
Stack Targets: Raul Alcantara, Matt Andriese, Edwin Jackson, Brock Stewart, Ricky Nolasco, Miguel Gonzalez, Jose Urena, Jason Vargas, Shelby Miller, Mike Fiers, Mike Leake
3. SaberSim Observations
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 21
. Here's me on the topic:
Kuhl has emerged as a solid back of the rotation pitcher. The risk and reward is on the uptick tomorrow at Miller Park versus the Brewers. On the one hand, the Brewers strike out
- Out of Nowhere: Powerful Outfielders
league level without making a substantial change.
Miller Park was one of the friendliest parks for hitters in 2016. It should come as no surprise that I like Domingo Santana and Keon
- Mike Trout's Effect on Roster Building
, I expect it. Villar's also a ground ball hitter, making his modest power somewhat unreliable. It helps that Miller Park is his home.
I have a soft spot for multi-position eligibility early
- 21 Players Whose Fielding Could Affect Their Fantasy Value
- Beware of Sleepers
. The bidding intensifies. Three other owners had the same idea and realize they have to win bids now or risk fielding a pitiful team. Hunter Pence takes home $25 and Shelby Miller is bought for $24
- The Daily Grind: 4-15-14 - Presented by FanDuel
Johnson's also been quite bad. The most worrying sign - his fastball velocity is down three mph. Get it together Johnson!
Shelby Miller looks broken says Dave Cameron. Ok, let's stack against him
- The Daily Grind: 4-16-14 - Presented by FanDuel
percent owned and Ventura 66! percent owned (they use two pitchers over there).
I was confident Shelby Miller versus Marco Estrada would turn into a hit parade at some point, but it never happened
- The Daily Grind: 6-28-14 - Presented by FanDuel
numbers this season. On the one hand, he isn't playing at Coors Field. On the other hand, he is playing at Miller Park, which allows only six percent fewer home runs than Coors (although 28 percent
- The Daily Grind: 6-29-14 - Presented by FanDuel
underneath Shelby Miller's 3.75 ERA - specifically a 4.76 FIP. We sabermetric types predicted his decline months ago, yet his results remain decent. In a thin contest, you can consider targeting him.
- The Daily Grind: 7-31-14 - Presented by FanDuel
John Danks has to survive a Tigers lineup that feasts on lefties. Detroit will put a lot of balls in play today.
Dave Cameron earns props for being the first writer to call Shelby Miller
- The Daily Grind: 8-11-14 - Presented by FanDuel
(lefties just a .224 wOBA).
The Marlins aren't juggernauts of offense, but they also have enough going on to defeat Shelby Miller. He's been solid in three starts since returning from the bullpen
- The Daily Grind: 8-18-14 - Presented by FanDuel
this game due to their matchup, so Fiers could come away with an easy victory. Beware, the Jays could hit a handful of home runs at Miller Park.
Pitchers to Exploit: Allen Webster has yet to have
- The Daily Grind: 8-19-14 - Presented by FanDuel
can put a mashing on any lefty, and Miller Park is especially friendly for such meetings.
Tyler Matzek has never had a K/BB ratio above 2.00. That's one reason to dislike him. Another is that he'll
- The Daily Grind: 8-20-14 - Presented by FanDuel
be expected to have the occasional rough outing. With the game at Miller Park, power is likely to factor into this one. Considering that you'll be looking or a piece of whatever few home runs are hit
- The Daily Grind: 9-11-14 - Presented by FanGraphs
want to get sleepy, look at Nate Eovaldi and Mike Fiers at Miller Park. It's a pure ballpark play where the hitter friendly dimensions could yield some big numbers.
3. Friday Picks
- Ottoneu Strategy Corner - Flores, Feliz, Chavez
for the inevitable pitcher injuries. Yovani Gallardo ($20), Shelby Miller ($19), Homer Bailey ($15), and Tim Hudson ($8), provided similar overall value to Chavez. Of course, so did some free guys like Roenis
- The Daily Grind: Marisnick, Martinez, Gonzalez
. It's also a good phrase for the afternoon contest. With five games available, you'll want to target hitters at U.S. Cellular Field or Miller Park. Both stadiums are homer havens and will experience
- The Daily Grind: Strasburg, Wright, Castillo
and Justin Maxwell vs. Christian Bergman
Adam Jones, Alejandro De Aza, Manny Machado, and Steve Pearce vs. Dan Haren
Billy Butler vs. Nate Karns
Adam Lind and Ryan Braun vs. Shelby Miller
- The Daily Grind: Yards, Hutchison, Ruf
like Nick Hundley has probably been too good to cut.
Similarly, certain disabled players are more important than others. Yasiel Puig cannot be cut. Andrew Miller (pending the extent of his injury
- The Daily Grind: Second Half, Danks, Koehler, Paulsen
on the year, putting him among the league leaders. I anticipate a second half surge - roughly .265/.330/.400. With it should come another 15 stolen bases. He'll face Jimmy Nelson at power happy Miller Park
- The Daily Grind: Trades, Carrasco, Alvarez
and Shin-Soo Choo v Michael Pineda
Ryan Howard, Ben Revere, Cesar Hernandez v Shelby Miller
Jedd Gyorko v Jon Niese
Matt Wieters, J.J. Hardy, and Nolan Reimold v Alfredo Simon
Wilmer Flores v
- The Daily Grind: Crowdsourced Call Ups, Banuelos, Owens
runs in the month of August. He did very little else, batting .228/.291/.576. Tomorrow's matchup with Jeff Locke at Miller Park promises more of the same. As in home runs or nothing.
- The Starting Pitcher Clusterbomb
projection models. The point though, is that none of these pitchers should be expected to fall off a cliff. No Shelby Miller's here. Sure, Arrieta and Greinke probably got lucky. That column
- Braves Playing Time Battles: Pitchers
The Heyward trade also yielded Aaron Blair (indirectly, via trade of Shelby Miller to Arizona). He's perhaps the most ready of the Braves' untested prospects. Per reports, Blair's three pitch
- Stars and Scrubs and Ottoneu
Jose de Leon
- Actual Useful Advice From Two Drafts
record a single hold (I had drafted Andrew Miller for my early holds source) through the All Star break, yet I eventually won the stat. Knowing I can address holds midseason and still score highly
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 7
a deceptively powerful offense for a team in a rebuilding year. Feldman, a contact pitcher, could have trouble keeping the ball in the yard at homer friendly Miller Park.
Also consider: John Danks, Colin
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 9
to 30 steals in the minors, decent plate discipline, and decent contact skills. He may not be the best waiver wire move against a righty - Shelby Miller. A start is far from guaranteed.
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 25
Wisler, A.J. Griffin, Cody Anderson, Ricky Nolasco, Jorge de la Rosa, Shelby Miller, Jered Weaver, Nate Karns, Tom Koehler
Hitters (power): David Freese is a middle of the order hitter against
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 26
tonight. Storms be a-lurkin'
Stack Targets: Jorge de la Rosa, Mike Pelfrey, Matt Wisler, Cody Anderson, Tom Koehler, A.J. Griffin, Shelby Miller, Jered Weaver, R.A. Dickey, James Shields
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for April 30
Peralta, Tom Koehler, Mike Pelfrey, Matt Wisler, Shelby Miller
Hitters (power): Good news for 79 percent of you - Joe Mauer is unowned in your league. His ridiculous season has been hidden by a lack
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 4
for Atlanta. The Braves hideous offense should help Matz too.
Hector Santiago is a risky alternative. He's slightly homer prone, and he's on the road at homer happy Miller Park. However, he's also
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 18
, but the entire lineup is above average.
Also consider: Jeff Locke
Pitchers to Exploit: I like Junior Guerra in the right matchups. The Cubs at Miller Park is definitely the wrong matchup. It's too
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for May 31
There's a Coors game (postponement risk). Cardinals at Miller Park and Red Sox in Baltimore are the other top projected stacks.
5. Tomorrow's Targets
Pitchers to Start: Michael Fulmer appears
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 25
Targets: Jorge de la Rosa, Anibal Sanchez, Paul Clemens, Matt Garza, Ervin Santana, Miguel Gonzalez, Brandon Finnegan, R.A. Dickey, Shelby Miller
Late: The night crew has the big name - Madison
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 28
his major league debut against the Brewers. Miller Park is not an ideal environment for a new pitcher. As a baseball player, Stewart is wildly uncelebrated - he never even appeared in the Fringe Five
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for June 30
. Nicolino? Not so much.
Also consider: Jhoulys Chacin, Drew Smyly, Martin Perez, Miguel Gonzalez, Mike Fiers, Matt Garza, Shelby Miller, John Locke, Wade LeBlanc, Jorge de la Rosa, Colin Rea
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and Wage Talk for July 1
: Jhoulys Chacin, Colin Rea, Matt Garza, Miguel Gonzalez, Ervin Santana, Wade LeBlanc, Jorge de la Rosa, Bud Norris, Nicolino, Jeff Locke, Shelby Miller, Martin Perez, Smyly
4. SaberSim Observations
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 5
, Bud Norris, Matt Garza, Martin Perez, Ian Kennedy, Jered Weaver, Miguel Gonzalez, Wade LeBlanc, Mike Fiers, Jeff Locke, Colin Rea, Shelby Miller, Jorge de la Rosa
Hitters (power): Brandon Guyer
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for July 6
Stack Targets: Colin Rea, Miguel Gonzalez, Jered Weaver, Wade LeBlanc, Jorge de la Rosa, Shelby Miller, Jeff Locke, Marcus Stroman, Martin Perez, Mike Fiers, Ian Kennedy
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and Vacations for July 8
and three steals. Wong is still only 25 so he could easily adjust his way back into relevance. He has a nice opportunity versus Anderson at Miller Park.
Also consider: Robbie Grossman, Max Kepler, Joe
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 9
to supply. Teams with sufficient funds to would hire and develop more Bumgarners. And to a certain extent, we see this happen. Ideally every team would have a couple Bumgarners and an Andrew Miller
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 16
to show some rust.
Also consider: Trevor Williams, Brandon Finnegan, Zach Davies, Matt Andriese, Jason Vargas, Raul Alcantara, Edwin Jackson, Bud Norris, Shelby Miller, Ricky Nolasco, Mike Leake, Mike
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 20
, Indians, Pirates, and Orioles.
5. Tomorrow's Targets
Pitchers to Start: Chad Kuhl has emerged as a solid back of the rotation pitcher. The risk and reward is on the uptick tomorrow at Miller Park
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 27
will be made from this start. I'm anticipating a very low pitch count.
Also consider: Clay Buchholz, Bryan Mitchell, Shelby Miller, Gio Gonzalez, Andrew Cashner, Jason Vargas, Mike Leake, Alex Meyer, Luis
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More for September 28
Stack Targets: Zach McAllister, Bryan Mitchell, Alex Meyer, Jose Urena, Jason Vargas, Shelby Miller, Mike Leake, Clay Buchholz, Chase Anderson, Sonny Gray, Luis Perdomo, Gio Gonzalez, Anthony
- Fantasy Busts and Opportunities: NL Central
a stash if they don't make the Opening Day cut.
In the bullpen, the club now plans to use Trevor Rosenthal in the Andrew Miller role. Seung Hwan Oh will continue to close with Kevin Siegrist, Brett
- The Daily Grind: More Deadline Deals, Salazar, Nola
not a household name, he's a fantastic fit for Miller Park with 40 HR+SB potential. He's an unlikely candidate for a September call up, but I could see him pushing his way onto the roster around
- 25 NL Stolen Base Sleepers
at Miller Park. Villar has a lot of swing-and-miss in his game, introducing a high risk element. He may be one of the top actual sleepers in the league.
If Villar fails, Orlando Arcia is just waiting
- The Daily Grind: DFS, Streaming, and More
With excellent plate discipline and contact skills, Span has developed into one of the toughest outs in baseball. You aren't likely to get power production from him - even at Miller Park. His gap power fits
- Get to Know Brad Boxberger
Get to know new Tampa Bay Ray Brad Boxberger.
He likes running water.
No running water in hotel... Great job @HolidayInn— Brad Boxberger (@Brad_Boxberger) August 6, 2013
- It's Rock Bottom for Shelby Miller
Shelby Miller just started his tenth game of the season. He has, to his name, all of one single quality start. It came a few weeks ago, in Atlanta, where Miller went to work against one of the worst
- Miller Time in Florida
Andrew Miller may have been the unluckiest pitcher in baseball in 2008.
Miller posted a 5.87 ERA in 107 innings, and eventually earned a ticket back to triple-A. However, Miller’s BABIP was .346
- Shelby Miller: Pseudo-Prospect
As a part of whatever their plan is, the Braves have reportedly made Shelby Miller available, and they're taking calls from almost everyone. Miller has three more years of team control, so
- Shelby Miller's Debut, Animated
Cardinals right-hander Shelby Miller was ranked fourth overall among all prospects by our Marc Hulet on his preseason top-100 list and within the top 10 on most other lists of that sort. Despite
- Andrew Miller's Vesting Option
- I would also accept "sneakiest" - one yet. As first reported by Alex Speier, Boston struck a deal with Andrew Miller that essentially circumvents the waiver process.
Here's the basics - Miller
- Buying High on Shelby Miller
Last year Shelby Miller had a sophomore slump that saw him be worth 0.5 WAR over the course of 31 starts, a very poor number for such a highly regarded prospect coming off of an impressive rookie
- Andrew Miller's MLB Return
For a 26-year-old with an even 300 innings pitched in the majors, Andrew Miller has worn many labels throughout his career. He was a college ace at North Carolina and a top-10 pick by the Tigers
- Andrew Miller's Iffy Future
Andrew Miller has two articles linked on his page. One directs to a RotoGraphs piece written by the Talented Mr. Bendix and clicking the other will lead to a detailed look at the tallest rotations
- Diagnosing Shelby Miller's Troubles
Shelby Miller just pitched six innings and allowed just two runs on Saturday. For a pitcher who entered that game having given up 22 runs in 23.1 innings -- while also recording as many walks
- Is Shelby Miller ready?
Yes. No. Maybe? I don't know. 2012 has been an enigmatic year for the 21-year-old Texan. After being rated highly coming into the year Shelby Miller is the not-so-proud owner of a 5.19 ERA
- Shelby Miller Looks Broken
Last October, Shelby Miller became something of a mystery. After spending the year in the Cardinals rotation and developing into one of the league's best young hurlers, Miller became nothing more
- Shelby Miller And Getting It Together
It’s almost as if at some point in 2012, someone attended one of Shelby Miller’s Triple-A outings and yelled, “Hey Shelby, get it together!”
Well, Miller has gotten it together, following up
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller
Sam Miller is editor-in-chief of Baseball Prospectus and co-author, with Ben Lindbergh, of The Only Rule Is It Has to Work. He's also the guest on this edition of FanGraphs Audio
- Daily Graphing - Brad Wilkerson
ESPN is reporting that Nationals players Brad Wilkerson, Terrmel Sledge, and a player to be named will be headed to the Rangers in exchange for Alfonso Soriano. After Brad Wilkerson hit a career