Major League Players
Minor League Players
Blog Search Results
Sort by Date
- Means By Which John McGraw Reached Base
As a nation rages over the definition of sportsmanship and whether smiling is included in such, it's natural to reflect on the wisdom of John McGraw. Once, in the dark pre-internet ages
- John McGraw Is Grateful for the Silver Decanter, Baby Leopard
in his memory. That right-wise John McGraw, he was a Great Man of History!
The lesson, lads? One does not simply walk into Mordor. Unless one is John McGraw.
H/T: The lot of you, really.
- Classic F__king Brawls: A Leisured McGraw-Era Beating
, these are two New York Giants -- John McGraw MenTM -- in the process of a skylarking annihilation of what's surely a high-ranking member of a besoiled foreign horde. For a time -- during the biting
- John Paschal Live Chat! -- 4/30/14
John Paschal: Hey, everybody! I will be here at 2:30 Eastern, or, unfortunately, "Private Time Central," to answer all your baseball questions. So fill up the queue and I will see you
- Tug McGraw Had a Fresh Face and Did Not Nap
, the slide toward the grave has begun. Sleep is for those who are in on the joke and have figured out it is not funny but rather horrifying down to our decomposing bones.
And then there is Tug McGraw
- Of Turf Artificial and Surface Au Naturel
!, associate fellow John “Peter” Thompson has thoughtfully paraphrased Henry David Thoreau in taking a more moderate and cautious position:
“We cannot adequately appreciate this aspect of nature
- Ask NotNot for Something Something
In addition to the very English and talented Craig Robinson, the editoriat of NotGraphs is pleased also to announce the debut here of John Paschal, who writes additionally for The Hardball Times
- Fun With Shapes: A Fan's Mental Exercise
, then, is that newly signed leftie John Lannan can take on the exact form of Clayton Kershaw – or, ironically, Bartolo Colon.
- Questions and Answers with the Unquestionable Answerman
: This is interesting: During John Axford’s stint with St. Louis last season, Cardinals coaches told the reliever that for the past few seasons he had been tipping his pitches. Do you know of any other player
- Name That Name! A Trilogy (Mercifully) Concluded
: Captain N. Tennille
Jeff Samardzija: Jeff Samarz Samarj Samarzj Smarjd Dammit!
A.J. Pierzynski: Anthony John Pierzynski
Andrew McCutchen: Aristeaus the Cooler
Ryan Dempster: Harry Caray II
- Preseason Picks: Lord Buddha Tabs the Astros
With Spring Training now upon us, and with lab-tested and science-approved psychic John Edward having predicted the imminent onset of predictions, many of our most luminous luminaries
- The Physical Obstacles for Men in Baseball
relativity, the scientist remained steadfast in a hitting approach that emphasized the fundamental curvature of spacetime. And thus did he swing, time after time, eight inches beneath the four-seamer.
- Wronging a Right: Or, How to Play the Game Incorrectly
: Infielder crouches for grounder, fields it, throws to first.
Wrong way: Infielder crouches for grounder, fields it, hoists up the John B’s sail, sees how the mainsail sets, calls for the captain
- Pencils Ready? Here is Today's Pop Quiz
, Cuban free agent Rusney Castillo also considered:
(a) Sergei Rachmaninoff’s Rach Nation Sports.
(b) Johann Sebastian Bach’s Bach Nation Sports.
(c) Doc Severinsen’s Doc Nation Sports.
- Revenue Sharing Deal Cubs Struck with Rooftop Owners Holding Up Wrigley Field Renovations
. In 1885, John Deppert, Jr. constructed a rooftop stand on his barn that overlooked Recreation Park, home to the National League’s Detroit Wolverines, future Hall of Famer Sam Thompson and a rotation
- Out the Wazoo: Anals of Great Baseball Writing
- They Might Also Approve "Emotion"
- Overheard at the Gym: Kershaw's Half of the Convo
- Name That Ballpark! Yep, Here's Your Chance
- Name That Team! Yep, Here's Your Chance
- Retrofitting Baseball to the Winter Olympics: A Brief Proposal
- Mystery Solved, Perhaps: Mystery Team Identified, Maybe
- Post-Kinsler, Darvish Adds Pitch to Repertoire
- A New Party Platform: Actual, Visible, Actual Change
- A Spring Training Report from Toots Delvecchio
- Home Runs I've Conceited: A Counterpoint, Kind Of
- The Straight (and Quick!) Poop on American Invention
- Season's Greetings! Opening Day as National Holiday
- A Question of Strategic Positioning
- The Cruelest Cuts of All: A Carson Cistulli Story
- Running the Databases: An Intelligence Exercise
- Chafe Wazoo, et al: A Compendium of Cleveland Candidates
- Blogger Reaches Milestone, Blogs About It
- Puig Derangement Syndrome, etc.: The Clinical Descriptions
- The Difference Between Unwrite and Wrong
- Mortal Combat: Ron Washington's New, Injury-Proof Lineup
- Night in the Forest: A Pine Tar Parable
- Blogger Embraces Statistics, Statistics Totally Hug Him Back
- Featured: A Hard-Hitting Report on a Hard-Hitting Player
- A Handy Primer to Papi Culture
- Fifteen Mostly Modest Proposals For Speeding Up the Game
- Yes We Cannibal: Free Speech in the Age of Olivo
- Post-Nuñez, the Travel Channel Scores a Winner!
- Position Changes: Or, Renaming 1 Through 9 (Plus Bonus DH!)
- Three Untrue Outcomes: A Personal Inventory
- NotNews of the Weird: Or, News of the Weirder
- An Open Letter to the Shirtless Man
- The Dialogues: Studies in Ballyard Discourse
- A's Get Pitcher at Dollar General, Sweep Series
- Occupational Hazards of Writing for a Hii-larious Baseball Blog
- Uncle Cletus Goes to a Ballgame
- The Ups and, Yes, the Downs of Baseball
- Ten Things You Probably Didn't Know About Jose Abreu
- Merkle’s Boner and False Imprisonment
- Baseball's Most Ridiculous Patented Equipment
- The Untold Story of Roberto Clemente's Plane Crash Litigation