- Biggest WAR Risers From 2009
a good year for Weeks.
2B Kelly Johnson
2009 WAR: 0.6
2010 WAR: 4.4
The tale of Kelly Johnson has been told many times. The former Atlanta youngin' became an everyday player when he posted a .363
- Alex Rodriguez Addresses His Tenants’ Concerns
What follows marks the debut post from Andrew Kelly. Of Mr. Kelly, many have said, "He's a liar." Of Mr. Kelly, we say, "No, he's not. He just has a gift for fiction."
Mr. Kelly's submission
- Q&A: Kelly Johnson, Sabermetrically Savvy FA
Kelly Johnson may or may not be a Toronto Blue Jay next season, but wherever he ends up, he promises to have a better year with the bat -- regardless of how many times he strikes out. The free-agent
- Short Poem with a Line by Pat Listach
Here's a poem with a line by Pat Listach -- the line itself from an inspirational bookmark (embedded to the left and embiggenable).
Short Poem with a Line by Pat Listach
Easy payday loan? More
- The Return of Pat the Bat
In the 2008-2009 off-season Pat Burrell was in an excellent situation. After nine seasons in Philadelphia he had finally won a World Series. He had endured plenty of criticism while playing
- Pat Burrell Rides the Pine
"Pat the Bat Goes Splat" was the alternative headline, but with widespread rumors that he is, in fact, Brian Wilson's neighbor, "The Machine", I thought it best to keep it simple and spare the little
- Still Appreciating Pat Burrell
In my inaugural post here at Fangraphs, back on April 14th (seems like forever ago), I wrote about Phillies leftfielder Pat Burrell and how he had been extremely consistent in his productivity over
- Casey Kelly ≠ Ludwig Wittgenstein
in tautologies, mathematics shows in equations."
In response to -- and, perhaps, in spirited negation of -- Wittgenstein's declaration, American baseballing prospect Casey Kelly submits this via his
- The Lesson of Pat Burrell
It felt like it had been coming forever, but it wasn't until Saturday that the Tampa Bay Rays finally designated Pat Burrell for assignment. Signed from the the Rays' 2008 World Series opponent
- Valuing Pat Burrell
Pat Burrell is playing the role of "The Forgotten" thus far this off-season. The Phillies have all ready replaced Burell, an awful defender, with another awful fielder in Raul Ibanez. That would seem
- Was Pat Burrell a Bust?
Yesterday, Pat "The Bat" Burrell retired, seeing his playing days end due to a combination of chronic foot problems and a lessening need for a bat-only player who flopped in his one audition as a DH
- Appreciating Pat Burrell
with Dave Cameron around the comment threads.
For my inaugural post I am going to take a look at Phillies leftfielder Pat Burrell - a guy that somehow has the ability to garner the monikers of both
- Q&A: Pat Hentgen
Pat Hentgen had a lot of success against American League hitters in the 1990s, but he couldn’t solve Cecil. The Blue Jays right-hander had 19- and 20-win seasons, earned three All-Star berths
- This Isn’t Barry’s Lineup Anymore
of the way, although that may be a conservative estimate given his season thus far. Another new guy has been Pat Burrell, who apparently just needed to come back to the good ol' National League. Since
- Nelson Figueroa Is Still Good
Spring Training (and have gone on to watch Fernando Nieve and Pat Misch start games in 2010, let alone Oliver Perez do it seven times) where he was quickly snagged up by the Phillies.
- Kelly Johnson's Redemption
Dropped from Braves at the end of 2009, Kelly Johnson found little interest in his services and ended up in Arizona on a one year contract paying him just $2.3 million. Arizona gambled that Johnson
- Ryan Howard's Odd Decline
We want to welcome a new writer to the fold today - Pat Andriola has joined the team, and will be contributing daily in this slot.
Ryan Howard certainly has not produced as Phillies fans would
- Where Is Robert Manuel?
, and instead be anxious to give Theo a nice pat on the back for this one. He deserves it.
I'm starting to take my hand off of Theo's back pretty quickly. Manuel, a 26-year-old, 6'3" right-hander who
- The 2004 Phillies and Fly Balls
- Florida Standing Pat
- Kelly Johnson: Aging With Style
Fantasy owners hoped for a bounce back in 2012 after Kelly Johnson regressed in 2011 after a superb 2010 season. A second baseman with 16 HRs and 14 SBs normally would have a relatively high fantasy
- Kelly Johnson: Slugger
As part of a critical five-run rally in the bottom of the fifth inning of yesterday's Phillies-Diamondbacks game, Arizona second baseman Kelly Johnson slugged his NL-leading seventh home run
- Kelly Johnson: A DeRosa Alternative
dislike dealing in shadowy realm of rumor, Braves second baseman Kelly Johnson has been mentioned in multiple places as a non-tender candidate given his 2009 performance and replacement by Martin Prado
- Andres Torres: Where Did He Come From?
- Philosophy and Jim Joyce
- Can Ryan Howard Hit Lefties?
- Assessing Conor Jackson
- The Marlins Find Talent
- Better in the Bigs
- Should the Mets Trade for a Starting Pitcher?
- Those Surprising Jays Sluggers
- Looking Back at Some Pre-2009 Trades
- For the Love of Rod...
- Pedro and the Phils
- 2008 Trade Deadline Deals
- Another Look at Price's Curve
- Jason Bay's Swing
- Who You Face Matters
- Making Sense of the Fourth Outfielder Fallacy
- The Older Guys
- Counterpoint: Why Branyan, Why Now?
- Joey Votto: The Most Underrated Player in Baseball?
- Three Rookies Under the Radar
- Jamie Moyer Is Not Pitching Well
- Montero May Be the Better Value
- Sell-High Candidates
- Looking at Greinke's Fastball
- He Looks Like a Ballplayer
- Foul Pelfrey
- Is Billy Wagner a Hall of Famer?
- Teams Should Be Allowed to Trade Draft Picks
- A Closer Look at Gregerson's Slider
- Juan Uribe Bounces Back
- Cristian Guzman to the Rangers
- Ted Lilly and Ryan Theriot to the Dodgers
- Dotel to the Dodgers
- Adam Dunn: What Now?
- Why Not Understanding Marginal Utility Is a Circular Problem
- Cole's Cutter
- Jim Edmonds for Chris Dickerson
- Derrek Lee’s Down Year
- Getting Ahead
- Derrek Lee to the Braves
- Biggest WAR Fallers from 2009
- Some More Risers and Fallers
- The Old Guy Discount
- The Roy Oswalt Decision
- Pat Venditte Has a ZiPS Forecast!
Above you see Yankee both-hander Pat Venditte. Yes, Mr. Venditte is a switch-pitcher, which is beautiful and angelic on a number of levels. As someone whose left arm is barely prehensile
- Can Pat White Play Baseball?
The Kansas City Royals last week flashed back to the past by signing NFL quarterback Pat White in a move that conjures up memories of the old Kansas City Royals Baseball Academy which I wrote about
- Casey Kelly Debuts, Questions Remain
One of the main products of the last big Adrian Gonzalez trade debuted for the Padres last night. Though he didn't allow a run to the Braves in six innings, Casey Kelly's first start was -- much like
- Checking In On Baseball Oddity Pat Venditte
In case you're not familiar, Pat Venditte is a pitcher in the New York Yankees minor league system who has made some waves for his remakarkable talent: he's a switch pitcher. Venditte pitches
- Kelly Johnson: Why the Low AVG?
Kelly Johnson came into the season a fairly decent option at second base. In one keeper league I was in, him and Ben Zobrist were both available. I considered them to be at the same talent level
- Can Kelly Johnson Bounce Back?
There might not be a more up and down player in fantasy than Kelly Johnson. After establishing himself as a useful fantasy second baseman in 2007-2008, Johnson completely fell off that radar
- Kelly Johnson, an Elite Second Baseman?
The league leader in WAR for second basemen? Kelly Johnson. I made some pretty bold predictions in our staff-wide preseason series, one of them being that Matt Kemp will not even get to 30/30
- Twitter Predicts The Free Agent Signings: Kelly Shoppach
I think guys like Jonny Gomez/Kelly Shoppach/Kyle Farnsworth could have some value for the Stros.— Jared Webb (@webberoo11) October 30, 2012
Sorry, Twitter is pretty quiet regarding Kelly
- Will Francoeur's Approach Work for Kelly Johnson?
It was shaping up as a disappointing season for Kelly Johnson in 2008 until a strong September. After three straight months of hitting .250 or less, Johnson posted a 22-game hitting streak
- Don't Bring In the Lefty for Kelly Johnson
three years, and Joey Votto isn't far behind him. What might surprise you is the name that sits in the 34th spot out of the 150 qualified hitters: Kelly Johnson.
At a .382 wOBA against lefties since
- Kelly Johnson, Quintessential Rays Acquisition
This afternoon, it was reported that the Rays will ink Kelly Johnson to a one-year deal. It’s an interesting match, as Johnson provides the Rays with the one thing that they like -- a player who has
- Pat Burrell and Hank Conger: Waiver Wire
early in the season and there's a chance to grab some power before other owners realize what's out there. Pat Burrell and Hank Conger are two players that should help you out in the power department
- Giant Photo of Derek Jeter and Minka Kelly Kissing
, here is an obscenely large photo of Derek Jeter and Minka Kelly locked in captive embrace and Frenching like teenage thunder ...
Seriously, click to embiggen: This thing is huge!
- Prospects Tyler Moore, Pat Corbin Receive the Call
The demotion of Josh Collmenter from the starting rotation to the bullpen in Arizona is not a surprise. However, the prospect tapped with replacing him in the rotation may be. Southpaw rookie Pat
- Jays Ship Hill to Arizona for Kelly Johnson
The Blue Jays shipped fan-favorite John McDonald and fan-hated Aaron Hill to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Kelly Johnson. Strangely, even though Hill is the only player with a possible contract
- Kelly Johnson's Trade, Kevin Towers, and Strikeouts
(perfectly understandable, as Branyan has continued to struggle this season with the Angels). Brandon Allen was hardly given a chance before being dealt for a reliever. And finally, Kelly Johnson, whose
- Tom Kelly in Zubaz vs. A Pitching Machine
- Daily Notes: San Diego Prospect Casey Kelly to Debut
the major-league debut of real-live prospect Casey Kelly.
Regarding Casey Kelly, Who That Even Is
Casey Kelly is a right-handed pitcher whom the Padres acquired in the trade that sent Adrian Gonzalez
- GIF: Kelly Johnson's Backhand Flip Ooh La La
The Blue Jay Hunter was at it again last night, capturing, for our viewing pleasure, another hot GIF, this time of Kelly Johnson's defensive wizardry in Kansas City.
It was the kind of play
- Arizona Raids Non-Tender Market, Adds Kelly Johnson
After a disappointing season with Atlanta, 27 year old 2B Kelly Johnson was non-tendered and hit the market. In a deal made official on Wednesday, Arizona added Johnson for one year and $2.35M, who