- Was wOBA Actually Invented Nearly 100 Years Ago?
- Visualizing Pitcher Consistency
- Plate Discipline Correlations, 2008-2013
- Is Using Wins + Quality Starts the Answer?
- Estimating the Advantage of Switch Hitting on BB/K Splits
- Does Pitching Deep into Games Lead to More Wins?
- Projecting Strength of Schedule for Pitchers and Hitters
- Sam Fuld and the Value of Defense
According to Internet: Sam Fuld once caught a cold and then set it free. Sam Fuld once threw himself out at home just to see what it was like. Superman wears Sam Fuld pajamas to bed. When Sam Fuld
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller
Sam Miller is editor-in-chief of Baseball Prospectus and co-author, with Ben Lindbergh, of The Only Rule Is It Has to Work. He's also the guest on this edition of FanGraphs Audio
- Shana Tova, Sam Fuld
Happy New Year to Craig Breslow, Ike Davis, Scott Feldman, Nate Freiman, Sam Fuld, Ryan Kalish, Ian Kinsler, Ryan Lavarnway, Jason Marquis, Kevin Pillar, Josh Satin, Danny Valencia, Kevin
- Sam Fuld and Completing the A's
. If nothing else, this is where we'll start. Early Thursday, the A's gave up Yoenis Cespedes and more for Jon Lester and more. A little later Thursday, the A's gave up Tommy Milone for Sam Fuld. Losing
- Andruw Jones
So far, Andruw Jones hasn't had the start to his Dodger career that anyone would have hoped for. His .149/.259/.234 line would make him a decent hitting pitcher, but as an $18 million dollar per
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 22 -- For DraftKings
+ of 144 versus left handed pitching. Yes, Happ does have a reverse split over the past few seasons, but he’s still allowed a .337 wOBA versus right handed batters over his career.
Adam Jones - $4,700
- Sam Fuld Makes Everything Better
Bobblehead Night? Like anyone else with nowhere left to turn, you send up the Fuld Signal:
That, brothers and sisters in arms, is a Super Sam Fuld Cape, and it will be presented to the first
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 3 -- For Draftstreet
into the lineup. Michael Cuddyer suited up at third base this weekend, so maybe that's a harbinger of things to come?
Adam Jones - $6,494
Joe Saunders doesn't miss many bats. Adam Jones has crushed
- How Hard Is It To Be Successful Without Drawing Walks?
fWAR from 2000-2013 only 58 or 28.7% had walk rates less than or equal to 8%. Adam Jones fell slightly below on a few parameters, but for comparison's sake he felt pretty accurate. Here is Yasiel Puig
- Kennys Vargas is Walking a Fine Line
- - -
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 17 -- For Draftstreet
pitching pretty well; they’re facing John Danks tonight, weather permitting. Speaking of left handed pitching, the Orioles lineup, as a whole, isn’t otherworldly versus southpaws, but Adam Jones
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 2 -- For Draftstreet
Ausmus and pitching coach Jeff Jones to pour over film, new and old. They saw that the right-hander was moving laterally in a way that needed to be changed. They wanted him to move more toward home
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 12 -- For Draftstreet
home run issues haven't gone anywhere; Tex's power, however, has rebounded rather nicely, especially from the left side.
Adam Jones - $7,842
Manny Machado - $7,293
- Liberating Liberated Fandom
this Braves team is probably the most enjoyable one to watch since Andruw Jones and the Baby Braves ruled the roost. Cabrera and Eric Hinske were the only two guys I could think to speak
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 2 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 4 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 5 -- for Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 8 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 9 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 11 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 12 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 15 -- For Drafstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 16 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 18 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 19 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 22 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 23 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 25 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 26 -- For Draftsreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 29 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- April 30 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 1 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 2 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 3 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 4 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 6 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 7 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 9 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 10 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 13 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 14 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 16 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 17 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 20 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 21 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 23 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 24 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 27 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 28 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 30 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- May 31 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 4 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 6 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 7 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 10 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 11 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 13 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 14 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 18 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 20 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 21 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 24 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 25 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 27 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- June 28 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 1 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 11 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 13 -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- All-Star Break Notes -- For Draftstreet
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- For DraftKings -- July 18
- Daily Fantasy Baseball -- July 19 -- For DraftKings
- Daily Fantasy Strategy -- July 23 -- For DraftKings
- Mike Napoli's Alright, Isn't He?
- Nick Swisher's Done Helping You
- The Daily Grind: 8-7-2014 -- Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-9-14 -- Presented by FanDuel
- The Daily Grind: 8-10-2014 -- Presented by FanDuel
- All Aboard The Duda Wagon
- 2014 First Base Tier Rankings: August
- Anthony Rizzo's Answered Your (My) Questions
- Has Freddie Freeman Been Worth His Cost?
- Paul Goldschmidt: Same As He Ever Was, Kind Of
- Return to Being Useful: Justin Morneau
- Ryan Howard Flips and, Kind of, Flops
- Albert Pujols: Fighting Father Time
- Adam Wainwright: Efficiency is the Name of the Game
- The Luckiest and Unluckiest Pitchers So Far in 2013
- The Atlantazona Bravebacks (Part I: Position Players)
- FanGraphs Audio: On the Phone with Sam Fuld
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks to talented and erudite Tampa Bay outfielder Sam Fuld on the phone regarding the latter's role in Sun Sports' recent sabermetric
- Sam Miller Is the Boss of Word Clouds
It's without a trace of chagrin that I reproduce in these pages -- despite it having already been produced in everybody else's pages -- Sam Miller's word cloud experiment from his Angels Blog
- Quiz: Bruce Bochy or Sam Elliott?
Can you tell the difference between San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy and noted American actor Sam Elliott? Click below to take a simple quiz.
Click to Take Quiz
- Mustache Watch: Sudden Sam LeCure
- What in the Sam Hill is this version of Moustakas
- Is Andruw Jones A Hall-Of-Famer?
I wrote a piece for ESPN Insider today that talks about defensive metrics and Hall Of Fame voting. The main example used in the story is Andruw Jones, who you might be shocked to learn has
- Adam Jones' Mysterious Progress
this season, there have also been some bright spots. Among them has to be the offensive contributions of Adam Jones so far this season. Stardom has long been predicted for Jones, who is just 25 years old
- Garrett Jones' Arrival
Garrett Jones was drafted by the Atlanta Braves with the last pick of the 14th round in 1999 as a first baseman out of Victor J Andrew High School in Illinois. Jones failed to do much of anything
- Injuries, Luck and Chipper Jones
Is it better to be lucky or good? Annual injuries aside, Chipper Jones was both of these things in 2008 as he batted over .400 for the first two-and-a-half months of the season. How was he lucky
- Jones' Ranger Resurgence
Andruw Jones bashed three home runs last evening, taking his total up to 14 long balls for the season. Jones' triple-slash line rests at .250/.348/.581, with a wOBA of .392. On a per-at-bat basis
- Adam Jones Is Up to Something
and defensive curiosity. And it was while scrolling through pages I noticed something about Adam Jones. Machado, as noted, is showing some weird changes in his plate discipline. Jones is, too, in a different
- The Lamentation over Jones
When the Mariners caved in to Baltimore's demands and agreed to build a package for Erik Bedard around outfielder Adam Jones, most of the Mariners blogosphere was livid. I personally wrote that I
- Andruw Jones Fitted For Pinstripes
The first memory most fans have of Andruw Jones is witnessing the then-teenager terrorize the New York Yankees in Game One of the 1996 World Series. While Jones' Braves ultimately came up short
- Andruw Jones to the White Sox
According to MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez, the Chicago White Sox have come to terms with Andruw Jones on a one-year, $500K contract with $1M in possible incentives.
Jones famously fell of the face
- Adam Jones' Offensive Jump
Sherrill, Tony Butler, Kam Mickolio and Adam Jones.
Tillman will team up with 2008 first-rounder Brian Matusz to give Baltimore a deadly one-two punch at the top of the rotation. Sherrill was shipped
- Jones Bashes in the 'Burgh
On July 1st, the following scrolled across the transaction wire:
Pittsburgh Pirates purchased the contract of outfielder Garrett Jones from Indianapolis of the International League (AAA).
- ADP Crowdsourcing: Adam Jones
Adam Jones always seems to get a ton of love from someone on draft day, then never lives up to the hype and disappoints. However, his transition from 2008 to 2009 was impressive, so he hasn’t always
- Adam Jones' Emergence
to be growing at a rapid rate.
Adam Jones in Baltimore got his first taste of regular play last year following the trade to the Orioles from the Seattle Mariners in the Erik Bedard deal. He responded
- Andruw Jones Is Alive
George Romero may have never considered the possibility of smiling zombies. The walking undead Andruw Jones is infectious with smiling, and he’s spreading the condition all around the Southside
- Interest in the Trade Deadline, Visualized by Sam Fuld
, but that the activity allowed a guy like Sam Fuld to take the spotlight for a little while. How much did people care about Sam Fuld yesterday compared to prior days? Well, here's a graph of the page
- Ranking Adam Jones
uber-bullish ranking of Carlos Carrasco on Little Christmas, and my bearish ranking of Adam Jones shall provide the content for normal Christmas. Enjoy.
The comments in the rankings piece
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller of the OC Register
about Sam Miller of the OC Register. In this episode, Sam talks at some length about the effects of the Albert Pujols signing. Also discussed: why not to write a novel, lowered expectations.
- Daily Graphing - Todd Jones
Todd Jones really pissed me off last year. See, I had Guillermo Mota in my fantasy league and when he got injured, Todd Jones pitched so well that Guillermo Mota never got his closer job back. Now
- Adam Jones, Unfinished Product
In the weekly Wednesday chat, one of the popular subjects was the Braves pursuit of Baltimore outfielder Adam Jones. According to reports, Atlanta has been trying to land Jones for the better part
- Chipper Jones Speaks in Tongues
Bit of old news, but did anyone notice Chipper Jones's tweet on August 2? Allow me to remind you:
We need a dome! These rain delays stink. Nothin a couple of 2run dubs wont fix. Back on track
- Adam Jones’ Regression At The Plate
I don’t think it’d be a stretch to say that Adam Jones has been a big disappointment at the plate so far in 2010. He came into Saturday’s game batting just .254/.283/.384, and instead of taking
- You Want Adam Jones
center fielder Adam Jones would be a great place to start.
Jones is by no means a hidden gem in fantasy baseball. He was a highly touted prospect in the Mariners system, offering a nice blend
- FanGraphs Audio: Sam Miller, OC Register
-- Bandied About!
Sam Miller, OC Register
Finally, you can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes or other feeder things.
Audio on the flip-flop. (Approximately 65 min play time.)
- Video: Sam Fuld Talks Preparation with Eno Sarris
Armed with a mono-pod / advanced selfie stick, and the lack of ability to be embarrassed, I asked Sam Fuld if he would do a video interview with me about preparation before the A's first game
- Daily Graphing - Jacque Jones
With all talk of the Yankees signing Johnny Damon, it seems like the Cubs signing Jacque Jones to a three year, $16 million contract got lost in the news. Jones is currently a career .280 hitter
- Chipper Jones and The Couch
You know this player: it's Chipper Jones, the shoe-in Hall-of-Famer who's about to play the final regular season series of his career.
It was a different time, you understand -- 1992, or '93
- FG on Fox: Going Deep With Sam Fuld
Sam Fuld is not your typical outfielder, maybe. There's an active brain at work out there. Often it wonders what the numbers say about this beautiful game.
Fuld's history sounds like
- Adam Jones: UZR and Me
UZR is catching up to Adam Jones, or maybe it‘s the other way around. Either way, the Orioles centerfielder is finally receiving some love from defensive metrics -- his league-leading 5.9 UZR
- Crowdsourcing Results: Jones and Volquez
Below are the results for this week’s ADP Crowdsourcing. If you have any suggestions for next week, leave them in the comments for consideration.
My vote: 10
- Jacque Jones: Almost a Hall of Famer
And he has the Internet to thank! With the first ever Hall of Fame vote credited to "tweeples," presenting the immortal and amazing Jacque Jones!
Apprecaite my tweeples for helping me get that 1
- JABO: What the Rangers Got In Sam Dyson
Thursday in Toronto, you might've noticed that it was Sam Dyson, not Shawn Tolleson, called on to close out the Blue Jays. Or maybe you didn't notice -- neither is exactly a household name
- Sam Fuld Is Baseball's Most Fascinating 4th OF
character in the eight-player deal may well be Sam Fuld.
The 29-year-old native of Durham, New Hampshire is a walk-taking speed merchant, a Stanford economics grad, pursuer of a Masters degree
- Sam LeCure Finally Gets a Favorable Draw
While perusing the box scores a few weeks ago, I saw a starting pitcher for the Reds I didn't recognize. Sam LeCure had just tossed a quality game against the Giants, completing six innings
- What in the Sam Hill is up with Garrett Richards
Continuing with my line of Sam Hill pieces, Garrett Richards has frustrated owners who waited out his early season recovery from knee surgery. After posting a dazzling 2.61 ERA (2.60 FIP), 1.04 WHIP
- Nate Jones Is in Agony
- What In The Sam Hill Is Going On With Miguel Cabrera
I should just stop there. On the one hand everyone will rightly scream sample size horrors as I attempt to type any further and on the other hand I have the lifelong goal of using "What in the Sam
- Contract Extension Comps for Adam Jones
The Baltimore Orioles recently avoided going to an arbitration hearing by signing Adam Jones to a one year, $6.5 million contract, but there are still rumblings about a long-term deal being in play
- Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey Jr.
Andruw Jones is likely to announce his retirement from Major League Baseball sometime in the very near future. Jones hasn’t been on the MLB radar since his last season in the big leagues back in 2012
- Effectively Wild Episode 12: Sam Walks to His Honda
Ben and Sam discuss players who turn down trades to contenders, Yu Darvish, and their standards for playoff starters.
- Adam Jones Is Never Room Temperature
of month-by-month analysis with Adam Jones as the subject.
Creating outs is the greatest crime in this game of baseball. In April, Jones created many outs
- Is Adam Jones Pulling a Matt Kemp?
On Tuesday, Adam Jones took a 1-0 fastball from CC Sabathia in the second inning and launched it out to left field. On Wednesday, in the 15th inning, he destroyed a curveball from Nate Adcock
- Nate Jones and the Small, Smart Deal
to a guy like Nate Jones, who the White Sox just signed to an interesting deal, risk is the key word. The particulars of the deal, though, reduced the risk to the team, while also adding reward
- Adam Jones is Boring, And That's Fine, Right?
Over the last three years, Adam Jones has hit between .280 and .287, launched between 25 and 33 homers, and stolen between 12 and 16 bases. Considering the way team performances vary from year
- Chipper Jones To Retire After 2012
After more than 17 years as a fixture in Atlanta Braves baseball, Chipper Jones has announced that he will retire as a player after the 2012 season. His $7 million club option for next year would
- Chipper Jones Unhappy With Basement Dwellers
Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution caught up with Chipper Jones today, and he wasn't terribly happy, particularly with some denizens of the lowest floor of houses owned by their mothers
- Adam Jones Just Got Stronger
C'mon readers of RotoGraphs, you didn't really think I was going to let the year end without another piece on Adam Jones from me, did you? I was just waiting for the appropriate time
- Orioles Outfield: At Least There's Adam Jones
Before we get to the desolate corner spots in the Baltimore outfield, let's at least focus on Adam Jones and the value he brings to fantasy baseball. He hits in the .280s, he puts up between 25-33
- Q&A: JaCoby Jones, Pirates Prospect
tremendous potential, but a boom-or-bust dynamic exists for almost any 18-year-old prospect.
JaCoby Jones -- drafted in the third round out of LSU -- is a 21-year-old with a boom-or-bust dynamic
- An Old (But Topical) Conversation with Andruw Jones
This interview was conducted in September 2012, but that doesn't matter. The topic was his career, and Andruw Jones was weeks away from his final game. Contextually, nothing has changed in the two
- Scheming For Relief: Medina, Jones and Siegrist
the right-hander for the chance at some holds and strikeouts. In a roto league? Sure, i’m all-in.
Nate Jones | White Sox | 1%
At first glance, Jones’ 4.06 ERA (2.74 FIP) and 1.29 WHIP may cause one
- Andruw Jones & DeWayne Wise Find Jobs
White Sox sign OF Andruw Jones for $500K
Jones’ 2009 season was hardly as well publicized as his 2008 voyage through the depths of offensive hell, but he managed a decent bounce back in 331 plate
- Andruw Jones: All-Star to Replacement-Level Player
Andruw Jones was having a brilliant career, that is, until he turned 31 years old. Since that point, he's barely been a league-average player. He went from an all-time great player, to an iffy hall
- Adam Jones' Historical Plate Discipline Peers
Jones. From 2010 to 2013, Jones' cumulative wRC+ was 116. To date in 2014, his wRC+ is 115. Jones' offensive production so far this season may be a bit down from his 2012 and 2013 performances
- FG on Fox: Sam Fuld on In-Game Corner Outfield Switching
Talking to a player like Sam Fuld -- one with an analytical mind and questions about the game -- can be all sorts of fun. Like this week, he suggested that teams might switch corner outfielders
- Nate Jones -- The Late-Inning Secret on the South Side
subject: Nate Jones.
NATE JONES. Jones pitched like all-caps NATE JONES last season, with a 2.29 ERA (2.93 FIP), a sub-1.00 WHIP and phenomenal K (10.2) and BB (1.9) rates. It was quite
- This Meatloaf Shall Suffer Adam Jones's Godlike Hunger
Not so long ago, Adam Jones sounded his conch and let all know that something was about to happen ...
Bout to smash some meatloaf— Adam Jones (@SimplyAJ10) July 28, 2013
- The Name Sam Fuld Fittingly Lacks an R, B, or I
Sam Fuld is unique.
Quite a few ballplayers have gone to Stanford University, and more than a few are known to be fans of numbers, but how many can say they interned with Stats Inc.? A somewhat
- In Defense of Andruw Jones' Hall of Fame Credentials
people wouldn't remember anything else.
So it may be with Andruw Jones. If you pressed most people on what they remember most about Jones, there's a decent chance that they'd recall him
- Position Battles: Rangers' OF, Pt. 2: Jones and Murphy
repeat performances. Now, let's turn our attention to a guy who has nowhere to go but up (Andruw Jones) and a sophomore fighting to stay in the lineup (David Murphy).
It's difficult to avert one's
- Orioles Wisely Lock Up Adam Jones
Last Friday, I wrote that if Adam Jones sustains his performance all year, he could be looking at a contract extension in the range of $120 to $140 million by selling himself as Matt Kemp Lite
- Andruw Jones Effectively Summarizes Own Career
On May 1, 2007, Andruw Jones was hitting .264/.405/.527 and was on his way to winning his tenth gold glove. His Hall of Fame status was all but assured. Five years, three months, and fifteen days
- J.P. Arencibia & Sam Fuld: Deep League Waiver Wire
Sam Fuld / OF / Minnesota Twins
2 percent Yahoo / 3 percent ESPN / 6 percent CBS ownership
Don’t look now, but Fuld has been on fire in July, slashing .432/.536/.523 this month
- The Unique Power-Speed Combos of Braun, Pence and Jones
-- Ryan Braun, Adam Jones and Hunter Pence find themselves in a class of their own.
Although most fans should be somewhat aware of the speed of this trio, their star power -- as with most hitters
- The Uncommon Careers of Adam Jones and Howie Kendrick
because they have some special talent in one area or another. Two current examples are Adam Jones and Howie Kendrick.
Adam Jones isn't an elite baseball player in the same way that Favre
- FanGraphs Audio: Org Reports, Elijah, Larry Jones
In which the panel survives off deception.
Organizational Reports: Whys and Wherefores
Elijah Dukes: Released
Chipper Jones and Evaluating Situational Play
- Rick Jones, Tragic Experiment Gone Awry
could tell the difference.
Drunk with power, the Topps executives decided to take this even further, by creating Rick Jones. The plan was simple: using state-of-the-art Apple II computing
- Exploring My Personal Biases With Adam Jones
that I re-revisit my ranking of Adam Jones, which first appeared on Christmas day.
In case you missed it, I ranked Jones as the 21st overall outfielder. It suffices to say that not everybody
- Reid Ryan Visits the Edward Jones Chatting Cage
Hello everyone. Welcome the Edward Jones Chatting Cage, where we get to know more about some of the biggest people in MLB baseball. I'm your host, Jeremy Brisiel. Today, we're talking to the new
- Annals of Bromance: Chipper Jones, Rescue Hero
. Then imagine nestling your face into the broad, camouflaged shoulder of Larry Wayne Jones, as the frigid wind whips past and faces gape from stranded cars. If you can capture that feeling, reader, then you have
- Prospect Watch: Jose Ramirez, James Jones
James Jones, OF, Mariners (Profile)
Level: MLB Age: 25 Top-15: N/A Top-100: N/A
Line: (Triple-A) 90 PA, 8.9% BB, 17.8% K, .313/.382/.450 (.371 BABIP