- Scott Strandberg's Bold Predictions For 2014
- Scott Spratt’s 10 Bold Predictions for 2014
a perennial MVP candidate.
2. Scott Kazmir will finish in the top five in ERA among qualified AL starters.
I’m not sure if this qualifies as a trend with a two-year sabbatical
- The Elusive Clutch Hitter
my sample, sample size and methods.
This next chart summarizes the data shown above:
From Scott Lindholm Stats
As stated above, I was looking for those players who managed
- Someone Will Get Saves for the White Sox
The team has declared that the closer job will have to be won in Spring Training. Some of the competition will come from a trio of free agent acquisitions. Scott Downs has reached nine saves twice
- Roenis Elias: Seattle's Latest Youth Movement Gamble
and Taijuan Walker on the shelf to open the season, and veteran reclamation project Scott Baker pitching so poorly in March that the Mariners released him, the left-handed Elias finds himself making
- Aaron Hicks: A Lost Cause?
- Coors Field Won't Scare Jonathan Gray
- Andrew Heaney Ready For Prime Time
- Justin Masterson with a Little Help from His Friends
- Pump the Brakes on Nick Castellanos
- George Springer: Worthy of Your Mixed-League Love
- The Rise And Fall (And Rise?) Of Jonathan Singleton
- David Robertson’s Success(ion)
- Kolten Wong: Quietly Fantasy-Relevant
- Eddie Butler And Colorado's Volatile Rotation
- Matt Wisler's Stock Rises As Padres Pitchers Fall
- Travis d'Arnaud And Overreacting To Small Samples
- An Attempt To Solve The Mystery Of Marcell Ozuna
- The Rays Bullpen May Be the Best in Baseball
- The Sneaky Fantasy Value Of Abraham Almonte
- Don't Ground The Flyin' Hawaiian Just Yet
- The Spring Resurgence Of Michael Pineda
- This Is Why We Can't Have Elite Things - Thoughts From An Expert Auction
- Getting the Most Out of Your Spreadsheets
- Josh Rutledge Acolytes
- Buy Low on Corey Kluber
- Has Taylor Jungmann Righted The Ship?
- The Elusive Clutch Hitter--Part II
- What If Baseball Playoffs Were Determined By Division Record?
- #KillTheWin, Postseason Style
- The Bill James Hall of Fame--Pitchers
- Scott Rolen
Roy Halladay is the hottest name on the trade market; making Toronto the center of the trade universe is the addition of Scott Rolen. The Jays have made Rolen available with a season and a half left
- Luke Scott and His Secret
Apparently, struggling Baltimore Orioles OF/DH Luke Scott is running out of ideas on how to break out of his slump. Here's one: just wait. I know, that's really helpful. Seriously, Scott and his
- Luke Scott as a Utility Option
As a player owed in just 2% of Yahoo! leagues, Luke Scott can be an attractive option for teams in need of power from the utility or first base spot. His availability depends on the league, I own him
- Daily Graphing - Scott Eyre
Scott Eyre did something incredible today. He received one 10th place MVP vote to become the first relief pitcher to receive a vote without recording a single save. Please feel free to use this gem
- Welcome to The Trop, Luke Scott
One of the most intriguing potential buy-low signings available in this year's Bargain Bin is Luke Scott. After hitting 27 homeruns in 2010 and posting a .387 wOBA, Scott suffered through a number
- Luke Scott: Living on the Outside
In January, the Tampa Bay Rays signed 33-year-old Luke Scott to a one-year, $5M contract (plus a club option for 2013) to serve as the team's primary designated hitter.
He struggled last season
- The Evolution of Scott Feldman
What if I told you that Scott Feldman has had the most effective cut fastball in all of baseball this year -- more so than Mariano Rivera and Roy Halladay's, would you believe me? At least according
- Scott Feldman's Fairy Tale
be their ace, and so an ace he became. Or did he?
Scott Feldman is off to a remarkable start. He's pitched 20.2 innings in three starts, and allowed a grand total of 1 run, and only 7 hits. Of the 7 hits, 6
- The Unthinkably Exceptional Scott Kazmir
Wouldn't you know it, but Scott Kazmir is relevant again. Jeremy Bonderman is relevant again, too, and that's also amazing, but Kazmir's actually got himself a big-league rotation job and that gives
- Welcome Back, Scott Kazmir
Scott Kazmir's return to Major League Baseball has been pretty well documented at this point. After bottoming out by pitching in independent ball, Kazmir's velocity started to pick back up
- Is Scott Rolen a Hall of Famer?
my Hall of Fame case for a great in our generation whose contributions have been highly underrated: Scott Rolen.
A lot of words come to mind when discussing Rolen: grinder, a "veteran presence
- The Demise of Scott Kazmir
When Scott Kazmir said that the Tampa Bay Rays had a realistic shot at the playoffs in 2008, the media still found it hard not to laugh. Even so, Kazmir seemed among the best players to deliver
- Scott Boras's Tall Tale
is his weight, but this past week super-agent Scott Boras brought up a new component of Fielder’s body-type;
“Everyone talks to me about Prince’s body, but when you have that 5’11” strike zone
- A 2nd Breakout for Scott Baker?
On the surface, Scott Baker is having his typical season. With a 4.12 ERA and a 1.32 WHIP, compared to his career marks of 4.31 and 1.28, respectively, he has performed pretty much in line
- Is the End Near for Scott Rolen?
Scott Rolen found himself riding pine for the second consecutive day yesterday and the narrative out there is that Dusty Baker thinks he is playing through a sore shoulder, so he's simply making
- Scott Kazmir Is Busted
Scott Kazmir is broken, and it's starting to get to the point where we have to wonder if he's fixable. First, some graphs.
At the top, we see Kazmir's walk and strikeout rate
- Angels Add Scott Kazmir
File this one under “unlikely August trades”.
The Angels add the 25-year-old Scott Kazmir to a rotation swamped with doctor visits all season with the knowledge that Kazmir himself is injury
- Scott Feldman, Come on Down
Not the latest of the late term Spring Training extensions (see Matt Klaassen's piece on Adam Lind), but one that threatens to slip through the weekend cracks. Scott Feldman inked an extension
- Cubs Sign Scott Baker
Stop the presses! Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer have signed a good player with durability questions to a one year contract. This time, their reclamation project is Scott Baker, who underwent Tommy John
- The Scott Olsen Deal
The Nationals acquired LHP Scott Olsen and OF/1B Josh Willingham from Florida in exchange for 2B Emilio Bonifacio, RHP P.J. Dean, and SS Jake Smolinski.
At first glance, the Nationals would seem
- The Scott Hairston Deal
When I heard that the Padres had traded Scott Hairston for Craig Italiano, Ryan Webb, and a PTBNL, my first reaction was to wonder if they were trying to tank as quickly as possible to give
- If Diaz, Why Not Scott Hairston?
the sweepstakes, signing him to a two-year deal. There was another, less heralded player on the market whose skills are somewhat similar to Diaz's. Yet Scott Hairston has barely received a mention
- What Happened to Scott Olsen?
direction: left-hander Scott Olsen.
A few years back, Olsen looked like an organizational pillar. In his first full year in the big leagues (2006), he struck out 8.27 batters per nine innings. Sure
- Scott Rolen's Power Surge
Considering that he restructured his contract with the Cincinnati Reds during the off-season and is now signed through 2012, Scott Rolen won't be hanging up his cleats anytime soon. But when he does
- Stand By Me, Scott Feldman
Writer's Note: Feldman ranked 56th on Zach Sanders' starting pitching rankings.
Hello friends, just thought I'd chime in with a few notes before the weekend on Scott Feldman as he moves back
- Scott Baker's Season
After last night's six-inning, five run beat down at the hand of the Toronto Blue Jays, Minnesota Twins righty Scott Baker holds an unimpressive 4.87 ERA. He's also got a sub-.500 record, winning
- GIF: Do the Scott Walk
- Why Is Luke Scott Still in Baltimore?
reasons for optimism. Prior to the season, I wrote about the enviable collection of outfielders the Orioles had assembled: Nick Markakis, Adam Jones, Nolan Reimold, Felix Pie, and Luke Scott. It seemed
- The Paperwork is In: Luke Scott Joins the Rays
that it wouldn’t happen by signing former Oriole Luke Scott to a one-year deal on Wednesday with a club option for 2013. Scott isn’t a bad first baseman and could see time there with the Rays, but it’s
- FanGraphs Audio: Will Rhymes and Luke Scott
David Laurila, curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, discusses home runs with Tampa Bay's Will Rhymes (who has hit one of them in the majors) and Luke Scott (who has hit more than one
- Scott Kazmir Finds Consistent Control
Scott Kazmir shut out the Marlins for 8 innings while striking out 11 batters and walking just one. Today's win was his 7th; tying him for the league lead.
Is there any pitcher hotter than Kazmir
- Waiver Wire: Appreciating Scott Baker
About a month ago my Rotographs colleague, the excellent Mike Podhorzer, wrote a piece that wondered if Scott Baker was having the second breakout season of his career. Mike sang Baker’s praises
- Scott Feldman: Playoff Relief Ace
strikeouts. Mike Napoli had the game-winning hit on Wednesday.
Those are all names people expected to propel the Rangers to victory. But with the exception of Cruz, one could make the argument that Scott
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Scott Feldman
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Scott Feldman.
- Contract Crowdsourcing 2013-14: Scott Kazmir
is likely to receive, FanGraphs is also requesting that readers make note of how much they'd pay each free agent were they, themselves, actual GMs.
In this edition: Scott Kazmir.
- The Scott Podsednik Trade: LA's perspective
by capitalizing on people in that situation. So, while the Dodgers acquisition of Scott Podsednik may not be the sexiest move ever, it's what they can afford. And, for what it cost them, it's a deal
- Is Scott Rolen Famous Enough For Cooperstown?
Among many fun conversations I had while in Arizona last week, perhaps the most interesting involved a topic I'd been thinking about for a while - Scott Rolen's chances of getting elected to the Hall
- Introducing The Scott Boras-O-Meter
Super agent Scott Boras is known to boast about his clients' market value, particularly as each player nears or enters free agency. Oh, Boras doesn't come right out and give a number. Sometimes he
- Scott Kazmir Heads to Bay Area
Remember when the Mets traded Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano? Predictably, the trade looked as horrible as we all thought it would through 2008, when Kazmir enjoyed four straight seasons
- Scott Podsednik, Dayton Moore, and The Contest
One might be tempted to see the Royals' signing of outfielder Scott Podsednik as a move to steal the headlines in the wake of cross-state rival St. Louis' big Matt Holliday contract earlier this week
- Prospect Stock Watch: Scott Snodgress
that probably don't get enough press -- such as the southpaw below.
Scott Snodgress, LHP, White Sox: The Stanford alum signed his first pro contract after being selected by Chicago in the fifth round
- It is May 3, 1994 and Scott Erickson is Afraid
Scott Erickson is afraid of many things. It is 1994, the age of having a surplus of hair and of wearing one’s cap backwards, and Scott Erickson can do this. He has spent hours in front
- The Scott Podsednik Story, as Embellished by 13-Year-Old Girls
Savannah: Oh. My. God. You guys. Have you heard about Scott?
Madison: No. What?
Kelli: Duuuuuh. He and Boston broke up. He’s with Arizona now. That happened like a week ago.
Aurora: Nuh uh
- FanGraphs Audio: Scott Radinsky and Chris Perez
David Laurila (@DavidLaurilaQA), curator of FanGraphs’ Q&A Series, talks both to Indians rock-and-roll pitching coach Scott Radinsky and also closer Chris Perez.
- Waiver Wire: Luke Scott and Jose Altuve
Today’s Waiver Wire features one player trying to reestablish his fantasy worth and one hoping to take hold of some of his own.
Luke Scott: 7% Yahoo!, 3.2% ESPN
Before injuring his shoulder
- Daily Notes: Scott Kazmir's Increasing Velocity, Animated
Featured Game: Seattle at Cleveland, 12:05pm ET
Regarding This Game, Who's Starting It for Cleveland
Starting this game for Cleveland is left-hander Scott Kazmir (25.1 IP, 96 xFIP-, -0.1 WAR
- Vlad, Scott, Danks, Strasburg, Anderson: DLWW
Today I will look at a few players on the DL owned in less than 60% of all leagues.
Luke Scott (22% ESPN, 18% Yahoo) and Vladimir Guerrero (44% ESPN, 57% Yahoo) - The DH situation in Baltimore
- The Nationals Add Scott Hairston, Nifty Role Player
of attention to the most recent trade between the Nationals and Cubs, which sent outfielder Scott Hairston to Washington and Ivan Pineyro to the Cubs, plus a pair of PTBNLs, with one going in each
- Daily Notes, In Which Scott Kazmir's Name Is Invoked
Table of Contents
Here's the table of contents for today's edition of Daily Notes.
1. Status Update: Scott Kazmir's Status, Updated
2. Video: Scott Kazmir Striking Out All the Yankees in 2008
- Scott Kazmir Strikes Out Josh Hamilton
. Perez will be back in that bullpen in 2013, armed with a rich new contract, and just like that, Oliver Perez has been resurrected.
Now we have the case of Scott Kazmir. Earlier in his career
- Cubs Sign Scott Feldman, Land Another Bargain
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote up a comparison between Scott Feldman and Brandon McCarthy, noting that the two pitchers were probably more similar than their reputations would lead you to believe
- Other Grandpa Sayings Scott Boras Can Use
The above tweet is from Jerry Crasnick, and is a quote from superagent Scott Boras.
While one can't help but appreciate Mr. Boras' savoir faire, this line is totally something my grandpa
- For Sake of Reference: Scott Kazmir's Last Three Pitches
Managing editor Dave Cameron wrote this morning about the formerly quite impressive and more recently less impressive Scott Kazmir's very impressive start on Thursday against Oakland -- during which
- The End Is Near: Dallas Keuchel and Scott Kazmir
as an endorsement, but, well... yeah.
Scott Kazmir has been written about quite a bit here at the mighty green and black. But as soon as folks started to get excited about him in June, he threw up kind
- Does Ron Santo's Election Help Scott Rolen?
for years. So, today, I'd like to use Santo's induction as a launching off point to ask whether his election might help voters put Scott Rolen into Cooperstown when his name hits the ballot.
- Scott Diamond & Alexi Ogando: Waiver Wire
Going with two starting pitchers to kick off the week in waiver wire, one from the AL Central and one from the AL West...
Scott Diamond | SP | Twins | Owned: 41% Yahoo! and 34.8% ESPN
- Scott Feldman: The Poor Man's Brandon McCarthy
for the popular guy doesn't always lead to great results, though, and there are teams who will be looking for a rotation upgrade who won't be able to afford McCarthy. So, to those teams, I present Scott
- Braves Acquire Scott Downs For Basically Nothing
It's bullpen upgrade day. A few hours after the Tigers added Jose Veras, the Braves got the lefty reliever they've been hunting for, landing Scott Downs from the Angels, and they got him for what
- Scott Hairston's FanGraphs' Legend Just Keeps Growing
You know, if teams would stop making transactions involving Scott Hairston, maybe we wouldn't do so many posts about him...
Hairston, who knows the way from San Diego-to-Oakland-and-back quite
- The Scott Podsednik Trade: Kansas City's Perspective
In a move that will shake up the NL West, nay, the entire National League as we know it, the Kansas City Royals have reportedly traded outfielder Scott Podsednik to the Los Angeles Dodgers for minor
- Scott Downs & Gerardo Parra: Waiver Wire
Let's start the week off with two players who have recently been promoted to more high-profile roles, one due to ineffectiveness and the other due to injury...
Scott Downs | RP | Angels | Owned
- Q&A: Scott Diamond, Twins Control Artist
Scott Diamond throws strikes. The Minnesota Twins left-hander walked just 1.61 batters per nine innings last year, lowest in the American League among qualified pitchers. After beginning the current
- Q&A: Scott Kazmir, Return from Oblivion
Among famous baseball quotes, perhaps none applies better to Scott Kazmir than “The game is 95 percent mental; the other half is physical.” The Cleveland Indians left-hander has had an enigmatic
- Twins Lose Scott Baker To Another Flexor Strain
The Twins announced Wednesday that their top starter, Scott Baker, would miss the rest of the season after upcoming surgery to clear scar tissue from his right flexor pronator tendon. While
- Will Scott Lewis' Stats Continue to Outpace his Stuff?
Indians lefty Scott Lewis is a tough guy to figure out. A look at his minor league track record would lead one to believe that he's on the fast track to big-league success. If you watch him pitch
- Scott Sizemore Traded to A's; Raburn to Start at 2B For Tigers?
The Detroit Tigers traded INF Scott Sizemore to the Oakland Athletics for LHP David Purcey.
Sizemore, 26, holds a career .315/.392/.487 line in 764 plate appearances at the Triple-A level
- A's Add Scott Kazmir, Keep Doing A's Things
Scott Kazmir to a two year contract for a little more than $22 million. And based on both the A's history and Kazmir's 2013 season, this looks like a strong bet to be one of the best contracts given
- Scott Baker: Most Underrated Hurler in the Bigs?
Walker one -- so keep that in mind as you read.
Nonetheless, each and every time I look at Scott Baker’s marks -- last year especially but even his career digits -- I get the increasing notion
- A Totally Unalterted Tweet Illustrated: Scott Kazmir
- Attention Dale Scott: Hands Up Means Foul Ball
, and the Dodgers went around the horn for an inning-ending triple play.
But, it's a triple play that never should have happened, as Dale Scott clearly gave the universal signal for foul ball
- Sponsor Catch-Phrase Showdown: Mike Shannon vs. That Scott's Guy
you're talking up some hubba-hubba dame in the buffet car.
Take Scott's Turf-Builder, for instance. Here's the actor they hired to deliver the words upon which the the lives of their children
- Sunday Notes: The Meaning of Luke Scott, Tigers, Dodgers-Giants
The South Korean media should love Luke Scott. The outspoken outfielder will be playing for SK Wyverns this season and there’s a good chance not all of his bombs will come via his bat. Controversy
- Luke Scott on Hula Hoop Swing Paths & Vlad Guerrero
Last month, I asked 10 big-league players if hitting is more of an art or more of a science. I posed the same question to Luke Scott. Not surprisingly, his answer was both thoughtful and interesting
- Did Michael Bourn & Scott Boras Wait Too Long?
Scott Boras, gasp!, make a mistake?
I doubt it. Scott Boras is famous for getting his clients to wait until the last minute. At the beginning of the offseason, Bourn was one of many intriguing free
- Cubs Sign Scott Hairston, Edge Closer to Hopeful Season
The Yankees, Mets, Braves and Phillies were all in pursuit of Scott Hairston, and it wasn't until last week that it appeared the Cubs even had a chance. Now the oft-wanted role player is joining
- Orioles Upgrade With Scott Feldman; Cubs Continue Stocking Up
Orioles acquire Scott Feldman and Tony Clevenger from the Cubs for Jake Arrietta, Pedro Strop, and int'l bonus slots.— keithlaw (@keithlaw) July 2, 2013
For the record, he meant Steve
- Homo (Less Than) Erectus: A Scott Proctor Flip Book
deserving of our attention is what happened on the other end of the play -- batter (pitcher?) Scott Proctor's end, I mean. For it was Proctor, owner of three career plate appearances and three career
- Scott Sizemore and Chris Nelson: Deep League Waiver Wire
Today's Deep League Waiver Wire focuses on two players that are eligible at second base.
Scott Sizemore | 2% Owned (Y!) | 1% Owned (ESPN)
After being shunned by the Tigers for most of 2010
- Derrek Lee and Scott Rolen: Veteran Corner Infield Waiver Wire Help
), but he'll certainly outproduce plenty of other corner guys with higher ownership percentages. Act now while you still can.
Scott Rolen |3B| Ownership: ESPN - 33.5% Yahoo - 34%
- Risers at Third Base: Michael Cuddyer, Mark Reynolds, Scott Sizemore
out a ton and be himself. And in fact, that's what it looks like he's done as his K rate is back up in the 40's and yet his results are reminiscent of 2009.
While going from first
- Kelly Johnson and Scott Sizemore: Deep League MI Options
Brad Johnson looked at what the A-Rod suspension means for the Yankees yesterday. Not long thereafter, New York added Scott Sizemore and Ken Rosenthal reported that the Yanks are unlikely to add another
- Spotted: Scott Boras, Very Much Behind Home Plate